The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 25, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #721 of 23,533
Forte has more quantity in the 20Hz region per that video but it isn't a ton more and it's most noticeable in the rumbling decay of the bass.

The bass in the song I linked is in the 70Hz region.

I think what's throwing me off is that they both attack with about the same weight, have similar sustain but the DD on the Forte has the weightier/more rumbly/fuller decay and that makes sense knowing that it's a DD. Will let it burn in more and report back but you're probably right it will tighten up.

For comparison, assuming universal U18, do you use the same eartips between U18 and Fourte, to make sure the seal is the same?

May 26, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #722 of 23,533
I find myself agreeing with Ike's impressions. The bass on the U18 goes deeper and hits harder than the Fourte's.

So... what things Fourte does better that the U18 ?

May 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #723 of 23,533
Good guess! I like

For sure I have already read your review. Thanks! But want more :) @Barra ´s review is overdue, isn´t it? :wink:
I guess it is a bit overdue, but because you asked:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/64-audio-a18-tzar.22410/reviews#review-18646

Sorry it took so long, but in the mix of moving from WA to CO to AZ as well as the frustrating experience of figuring out this site change and how to even post a review, it took longer than I would have liked. But it is here now.

I also apologize if the review comes across as me being a bit of an unembarrassed 64 Audio fan boy - oops, spoiler - but at this point I would have to say that you have to give credit where credit is due. 64 Audio hit the Fourte'/A18 out of the park in performance.

May 26, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #724 of 23,533
I see theres a 20 BA IEM . Cant wait for that battle.

May 26, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #725 of 23,533

Haha I know what you are referring to

TBH this is not a battle I'd wanna see................a battle of number of drivers simply isn't the right way to go. The sad truth is, these days you solder in 47 drivers and snap an astronomical price tag on a tuna can and always label that "backordered" on your site and you can rest assured that stinky can of drivers could sell well.

The reason I adore the new 64 offerings (quite independent of the resultant sound) AND got my U18 in the end (this based on sound) is the new ideas they care to put in and actually makes sense, as well as the attention they have put in to details such as the absolutely gorgeous aesthetics and the wonderful carrying case (though I think the proprietory cable is a hit and miss with that part of costs better chopped off or spent elsewhere). While you can always work on new and exotic materials to build a better dynamic driver, the innovations one could have on the tiny BA drivers seem to be more limited and most of the time more academic than practically beneficial.

May 26, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #726 of 23,533
Forte has more quantity in the 20Hz region per that video but it isn't a ton more and it's most noticeable in the rumbling decay of the bass.

The bass in the song I linked is in the 70Hz region.

I think what's throwing me off is that they both attack with about the same weight, have similar sustain but the DD on the Forte has the weightier/more rumbly/fuller decay and that makes sense knowing that it's a DD. Will let it burn in more and report back but you're probably right it will tighten up.
thank you for the impressions

May 26, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #727 of 23,533

Yeah Rhapsodio Infinity...the madness never end. Will be interested to see how coherence it will be

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #728 of 23,533
For comparison, assuming universal U18, do you use the same eartips between U18 and Fourte, to make sure the seal is the same?

Yes.

So... what things Fourte does better that the U18 ?

You'll have to wait for my full review, sorry. I don't want to get ahead of myself, these are both exceptional.

Haha I know what you are referring to

TBH this is not a battle I'd wanna see................a battle of number of drivers simply isn't the right way to go. The sad truth is, these days you solder in 47 drivers and snap an astronomical price tag on a tuna can and always label that "backordered" on your site and you can rest assured that stinky can of drivers could sell well.

The reason I adore the new 64 offerings (quite independent of the resultant sound) AND got my U18 in the end (this based on sound) is the new ideas they care to put in and actually makes sense, as well as the attention they have put in to details such as the absolutely gorgeous aesthetics and the wonderful carrying case (though I think the proprietory cable is a hit and miss with that part of costs better chopped off or spent elsewhere). While you can always work on new and exotic materials to build a better dynamic driver, the innovations one could have on the tiny BA drivers seem to be more limited and most of the time more academic than practically beneficial.

True, there's a lot more going on inside the 18/Forte than just driver count: resonance/distortion reduction, the changes they've made with regard to dampers, the tia driver, the single bore and the other things I pointed out in my A18 review (the internals).

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #729 of 23,533

Sorry it took so long, but in the mix of moving from WA to CO to AZ as well as the frustrating experience of figuring out this site change and how to even post a review, it took longer than I would have liked. But it is here now.

I also apologize if the review comes across as me being a bit of an unembarrassed 64 Audio fan boy - oops, spoiler - but at this point I would have to say that you have to give credit where credit is due. 64 Audio hit the Fourte'/A18 out of the park in performance.

Wow, thanks for that review!

Which cable upgrade did you make? Because you said you paid 3400 for the custom face plate and a cable upgrade. I thought the A18 comes with their best cable?

May 28, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #730 of 23,533
Wow, thanks for that review!

Which cable upgrade did you make? Because you said you paid 3400 for the custom face plate and a cable upgrade. I thought the A18 comes with their best cable?
Same cable, but upgraded to the 64 inch version to give me more length.

May 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #732 of 23,533

Hi,

Thank you for the review.
I notice a really brief mention of the 009 in the review.
Overall, that is my target: mimicking my KGST + 009 set-up on the go.
This means the speed, airiness, resolution, but mostly emotion and shivers when called for.

How would you describe the difference between the A18 and the 009?
From your experience, is the A18'the closest one can get to the 009?

Cheers

May 28, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #733 of 23,533
Hi,

Thank you for the review.
I notice a really brief mention of the 009 in the review.
Overall, that is my target: mimicking my KGST + 009 set-up on the go.
This means the speed, airiness, resolution, but mostly emotion and shivers when called for.

How would you describe the difference between the A18 and the 009?
From your experience, is the A18'the closest one can get to the 009?

Cheers

Hi, flinkenick mentioned this in his first brief A18 impressions: "At times, this gives the A18’s treble notes a unique twist; a somewhat lingering decay of the overtones, faintly resembling that ethereal feel of electrostats. Are we hearing the TIA treble driver at work?"
Here the link:
http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-64-audio-a18/

So maybe it seems so that the A18's sound goes in that direction.

May 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #734 of 23,533
Well I was referring specifically to a sort resonance in the overtones that you might hear on occasion :) But the drivers settled in pretty quick after burn, so the high treble became less prominent and the effect kind of disappeared.

I heard the 009 briefly at Canjam London, although it was driven by the 155K MSB system so I don't know how it 'normally' sounds. But even thought I have little experience with electrostats I would say they are not comparable with BA iems. It's a very different type of sound, extremely transparent. The center midrange frequencies were very prominent, without much warmth from the bass. It's a tuning that you rarely see in iems. The A18 on the other hand mixes mid-bass warmth with enhanced treble, resulting in a balanced but different type of signature.

But mostly, the electrostat sound can't really be mimicked by BA's. At least, I personally wouldn't want to give that impression.

May 28, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #735 of 23,533
But mostly, the electrostat sound can't really be mimicked by BA's. At least, I personally wouldn't want to give that impression.
i think balanced armature in ears are as close you can get to electrostatic sound, the speed and articulation of notes is a lot closer to electrostatic headphones than any dynamic
er4s are called poor man Stax not by accident
of course that's just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back