Xenos1HA-EPx or RS-71 or maybe even Larocco PRII for Proline 750??
Mar 16, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found this one over at ipastudio.com

5DSCF3974-med.JPG

So it is at the back
eggosmile.gif

hrm - mine does not look like those in the picture, knobs are of different shape...older model?

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #62 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PRII is a great sounding amp and it has a lot of features, you can check them at laroccoaudio.net. It's also very well built, but it's a bit large and heavy for a portable amp. I use it mainly at my computer where it takes very little desk space and it's very easy to take on a trip, yet I don't know if it's practical as a portable.

Of course the PRII is not really any bigger or heavier than the SR71 or Xenos 1HA. I own all 3 amps, and I like them all. I am not familiar with the Prolines, however.

What I will sas is this: If you want to buy a PRII, buy it used. As mentioned above, dealing with Larocco the company is the very epitome of frustration. Save yourself the hassle. The PRII is a wonderful amp, and it's the one I use the most of all my portables.

The SR71 is an awesome amp, but the fact that it won't charge batteries makes my use of it somewhat sparing in spite of how great it is. Only a factor if rechargeable matters to you.

The Xenos 1HA-EPC is readily available, sounds great, rechargeable battery. Not quite as good sounding as the SR71 or the PRII, but very good sounding nonetheless.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #63 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I will sas is this: If you want to buy a PRII, buy it used. As mentioned above, dealing with Larocco the company is the very epitome of frustration. Save yourself the hassle. The PRII is a wonderful amp, and it's the one I use the most of all my portables.

Yeah, have heard that one. I just don't really know my way in the secondhand audio business and don't know where to look and where it is safe to buy.
If the hassle with Larocco means waiting a long time before you get it, I don't know but I will take it like that probably. I am keeping my eyes open on the FS forum here though, but will have to start saving some money first haha
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #64 of 116
It's a shame the 2 best sounding amps (RS-71, PRII) don't have rechargeable batteries.

I ended up going the Xenos route (1HA-EPC) because of the battery issue and customer service. Alberto, always responds to my emails, has a 5 year warranty and has even offered to fix a competitors amp that belong to another Head-Fi member.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #65 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame the 2 best sounding amps (RS-71, PRII) don't have rechargeable batteries.

Huh? If I am not mistaken the PRII has got rechargable batteries.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #66 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? If I am not mistaken the PRII has got rechargable batteries.

It absolutely does.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #68 of 116
Contrastique;2795835 said:
Am I sounding stupid now, a little blond or short of mind??
QUOTE]

nope, but you are sounding like someone to whom design can be very meaningful. i'm sure i'm not the only fan of your photos who is glad this is the case

and btw, those are beautiful amps...

hows yer foot? to keep on track, is your foot effecting your amp research? for that matter, is it effecting the sound of your prolines? hmmm....

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #69 of 116
analog'd;2798681 said:
Quote:

Am I sounding stupid now, a little blond or short of mind??
QUOTE]

nope, but you are sounding like someone to whom design can be very meaningful. i'm sure i'm not the only fan of your photos who is glad this is the case

and btw, those are beautiful amps...

hows yer foot? to keep on track, is your foot effecting your amp research? for that matter, is it effecting the sound of your prolines? hmmm....

Well, I love it when things look gorgeous. I can look at and drewl over my camera and the prolines for hours haha
icon10.gif

But was mainly the soundqual wich was the convincing part. And they look like it is a high-qual-built amp.
That reminds me....have you received the sr71 yet??? Still looking forward hearing your impressions on them!
My foot is fine! I took the bandage of today and it hasn't turned black or anything
tongue.gif
and it really feels fine. Still hurts a little when pressing the specific area but it's definately a more acceptable pain that the one I had before. It no longer cuts through my flesh! Already worked today and it was a little heavy for my foot since I haven't really walked for two days but it went ok luckily. And no worries about loosing topic...I started this thread
icon10.gif
!
And the foot did effect my amp-search...I had more time checking out what I wanted haha! And indeed had much more time to listen to the 750's sigh.....nice to have days of sometimes!

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #70 of 116
Contrastique;2798762 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That reminds me....have you received the sr71 yet??? Still looking forward hearing your impressions on them!

nope. its saturday and it was shipped on thursday so it may come this afternoon, else on monday.

the Larocco has some people with great taste very impressed. I also would take the chance on one (unheard) based on that and the great design.

I'm very curious about it. if the sr71 is as close to the xp7 in sq as a friend has told me, and the larocco is even as good (let alone better), than i have to hear it.

glad yer foot is happy

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #71 of 116
analog'd;2801027 said:
Quote:

nope. its saturday and it was shipped on thursday so it may come this afternoon, else on monday.

the Larocco has some people with great taste very impressed. I also would take the chance on one (unheard) based on that and the great design.

I'm very curious about it. if the sr71 is as close to the xp7 in sq as a friend has told me, and the larocco is even as good (let alone better), than i have to hear it.

glad yer foot is happy

I prefer the Larocco for my portable amp over the SR71, but that is because my portable headphones cal use a little low-bass boost, and the Larocco has the best implemented bass boost I have ever heard. The SR71 and Larocco are pretty equal in sound quality (although different sounding), but the PRII with the bass boost tips the scales for me.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #72 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Larocco for my portable amp over the SR71, but that is because my portable headphones cal use a little low-bass boost, and the Larocco has the best implemented bass boost I have ever heard. The SR71 and Larocco are pretty equal in sound quality (although different sounding), but the PRII with the bass boost tips the scales for me.

Trying...mightily...to...resist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back