Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,921 of 6,404
Quote:
i've got a new set after warranty repair and reshell...these things IMO require significant burn-in...

at least 150hrs and double that for the silver cable, which i feel is the main culprit for some of the unagreeable sounds currently emitted; ie thin bottom end, recessed mids, and scratchy, bright, hard highs...

bear in mind this is coming from a Merlin run thru a dhc copper litz....soooo smooth and rich...great extension in either direction...

must...have...patience...
cool.gif

Hey Toads,

Have you tried the DHC Copper Litz with the 1plus2? If yes, how do you find it compares against the Traluscent Silver and/or Silver/Gold cable? I wonder if your impressions are similar to GG. Still waiting for my DHC cable to come.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,922 of 6,404
Quote:
i've got a new set after warranty repair and reshell...these things IMO require significant burn-in...

at least 150hrs and double that for the silver cable, which i feel is the main culprit for some of the unagreeable sounds currently emitted; ie thin bottom end, recessed mids, and scratchy, bright, hard highs...

bear in mind this is coming from a Merlin run thru a dhc copper litz....soooo smooth and rich...great extension in either direction...

cool.gif

edit: oh...i've ordered a balanced silver/gold from CH cables to run thru my upcoming rwak100/international combo...i'm hoping for MAGIC... 
wink.gif

On that note, how does it compare with the Merlin after significant burn in? (or when you get around to it).

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,924 of 6,404
i've was a/b/c hybrid heaven a few days ago....k3003/Merlin/1p2 on the RWAK100...

here is my email to Gavin with some brief impressions....grant the Merlin > 150hrs and 1p2 < 50hrs, the k3003 at >150hr

"i did a bit of a/b/c comparisons with the 1p2 (with comply ts500)/Merlin/k3003 (high boost with ts500) last night...

it is quite interesting how all these hybrid designs do many things so similarly...but there are differences no doubt...

make superficial take is the 1p2 bests the others mainly in instrument separation and placement....soundstage is widest on the Merlin with better depth on the 1p2....the 3003 sits nicely in the middle....

i too like the treble of the 3003 and 1p2 (still a bit brash at 50hrs), not to say the Merlin doesn't get it done, it is certainly the least fatiguing of the bunch in terms of this quality...

mids are most forward in the 3003, then 1p2 and then the Merlin but all quite close...

bass is were the Merlin can be overwhelming on some tracks but utterly sublime on others...classic rock or older recordings are filled out and sound fantastic for example....the 3003 can sound a tad boomy at times...the 1p2 has excellent texture and tone, tight and taut....a bit underwhelming but this is at ~50hrs...

resolution/detail again the 1p2 wins here as well but it is no cakewalk....the other two are no slouches....

now to decide if it is the intruder or international to complement the rwak100....

can the 1p2 do balanced....?"

Gavin replied with YES...

International incoming....

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,925 of 6,404
Quote:
[snip!]
can the 1p2 do balanced....?"

Gavin replied with YES...

International incoming....

Of course it can be balanced :D. Although the Beat Audio Cronus cable probably wasn't the best choice. Didn't wanna snip the Tralucent cable to put the Kobiconn connector on.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,926 of 6,404
Quote:

Of course it can be balanced :D. Although the Beat Audio Cronus cable probably wasn't the best choice. Didn't wanna snip the Tralucent cable to put the Kobiconn connector on.

That is so not a portable rig. I don't care what anyone says at all. For those things, you need to be carry a man bag or whatever wherever you go.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,927 of 6,404
Quote:

That is so not a portable rig. I don't care what anyone says at all. For those things, you need to be carry a man bag or whatever wherever you go.

You don't :p!? I thought everyone did...it's quite fashionable ya' know! If not, those waist pouches.

Anyhow toads didn't state any criteria on "portability".

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,929 of 6,404
Quote:
well i have no experience in balanced setups and recall reading somewhere that some multi BA IEMs do not match well with balanced inputs...
confused.gif

That is interesting. I've not had that experience. However sadly I cannot comment on my balanced Beat Audio Cronus on the 1Plus2 as the Cronus simply didn't have good synergy with the 1Plus2. It made the IEMs sound lifeless. As such I didn't bother spending more time on that combination.

However independent to 1Plus2 (and therefore off topic to this thread) about portable balanced setups with IEMs (multi BA or hybrids), I have to admit there is a nice surprise to a portable balanced setup above. All I can say is that something seems to work well on the backend IC balancing - which generally seems counterintuitive for balanced portable setups. Feel free to PM me or carry on this topic on the Cypherlabs thread.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,930 of 6,404
Hey guys just dropping by to let you know I'm still in the midst of organizing my thoughts as I have written them down on paper but 1P2 is a tricky IEM to comment on. Don't expect it to be a super in depth review like six moons.

One thing though is, I think the 1P2 sounds just as good from my iPhone 5 headphone out as Gungnir -> Triad L3+LLP except with a bit more bass quantity and quality, as well as a bit better imaging. But these differences are so subtle that you wouldn't notice when you're outside and not in a dead silent atmosphere.

This is why I loved the 1p2, because I couldn't care less about portable amps and dacs as they serve no use to me in the real world.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,932 of 6,404
Quote:
I suspect that Gavin's supplied cable will be hard to beat on the 1+2. Nice that an upgrade is not needed.

I've been particularly curious about this actually and was tempted to start another thread about this (but just about cables, taking the 1Plus2 out of the picture). Has anyone compared the Tralucent Silver with something like the Whiplash TWAG3 or some other silver cable of similar gauge? Similarly with the Tralucent Silver/Gold with some other brand like Crystal Cable's Picolo or Toxic Cable's equivalent?

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,933 of 6,404
Who is CH cables ? Are you planning to use the international as amp only through LO ?

cool.gif

edit: oh...i've ordered a balanced silver/gold from CH cables to run thru my upcoming rwak100/international combo...i'm hoping for MAGIC... 
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,934 of 6,404
You don't :p!? I thought everyone did...it's quite fashionable ya' know! If not, those waist pouches.

Anyhow toads didn't state any criteria on "portability".

Haha. Portability is everything for me, if you read the thread I created sometime back on this :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,935 of 6,404

Users who are viewing this thread

Back