THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread.
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 2,209
hey somebody hit that train with grafitti already!

Anyone else seen any other tagging yet
cool.gif

Must be referring to the "Superlux Express Train thread "

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 2,209
  I'll start off this hype thread with the "Z-man", a fellow troll who has won over the hearts but hopefully not the minds of many head-fiers. His last mastery review of the Shure SRH 440s, which was subtly titled "Military grade portable anti-tank missile" was truly a work of hype that deserve a honorable mention no doubt in this thread.
So without further ado HYPE ON!!!
size]

What are you talking about??? The SRH 440's are truly as godly good as the Z-man makes them out to be!

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 2,209
i had interest in the KEFs for a week and then the fizz... its gonnnnnnnnnnne....
but for a week or two, it took the wind away from alphadogmania..for me at least, shruggzz
blink.gif

....but the evo681, that can is sizzling nicely in my armoury.

beerchug.gif

edit... 440 is a good can, not godly....681 is more gooodly. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 2,209
Guilty here also  with some 662F I completely tore up with mods, as much as possible before the point of totally ruining them and having to scrap them, they are at an interesting decent level now. No excelsior though.
Just seem hyped at this point for me, I'll admit though I was initially caught on the 'Lux train's cowcatcher until i fell off.

Hope we see some more grafitti here that picture is near perfect for the purpose.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 2,209
  i had interest in the KEFs for a week and then the fizz... its gonnnnnnnnnnne....
but for a week or two, it took the wind away from alphadogmania..for me at least, shruggzz
blink.gif

....but the evo681, that can is sizzling nicely in my armoury.

Which KEF? I got the KEF M500, and as far as I am concerned, they are worth every ounce of hype that they gets... I love them.

I will find out more about the evo's though...

edit... 440 is a good can, not godly....681 is more gooodly. 
size]

The 440's are good, but probably not as good as the z-man's hype (I haven't actually read it yet lol). I heard them in a pawn shop recently. They were beaten up pretty good, and the price was $65. I was quite surprised by how good they sounded though, so I tried lowballing. Got denied.

Now if only those DT250 250ohm make it from amazon for $29, I'll be happy!

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 2,209
^ Welp this was interesting, two birdies and a troll went at it. EVERYONE WON!!!
ksc75smile.gif

DAT JVC FXZ200 HYPE!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675848/new-rha-iems-the-ma750i-and-ma600i/45#post_9830799

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f7/100x100px-LS-f7a1fed3_music_4321.jpeg[/img]
  1. music_4321
  2. A grumpy old sparrow
    Posts not to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Quote: Originally Posted by music_4321 

Welp that noob iem birdie was the one who hyped those JVC FXZ200s and gave them that prestigious show award which got the hype train started on them. I am not saying these FXZ200s doesn't deserve the hype, but the initial hype was just too crazy. These are good basshead audiophile grade iems for sure but i wouldn't say they are as mind blowing amazing like others has claimed that's for sure. Anyway bad birdie bad for hyping these. haha

Wait, which IEM birdie are we talking about?  I thought we were talking about that Tuaw review that was posted?  Lemme know if I'm mistaken.

I believe Mr sfwalcer is referring to Mr Currawong, whose FXZ200 comments had a lot to do with some of the worst hype I've ever seen in my 5 years as a HF'er.

+

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5a/100x100px-LS-5a4c7316_images.jpeg[/img]
  1. sfwalcer
  2. Master Troll
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1380040135.png
  2. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cf/100x100px-LS-cf842508_CurrawongCotterDam1972-square.jpeg[/img]
  3. Currawong
  4. badge_administrator.v1380040135.png
  5. offline
Originally Posted by Currawong 
  Said noob iem birdie can read the forums. (OT) (Click to hide)

I can't help it if people get unreasonably crazy about stuff I think is good, or very good. In the end, I bought a pair (from a regular store) and found they had too much bass for the music I liked and sold them. I'm pretty sure I pointed out that they have a LOT of bass and that their sound signature is very JVC in that manner. I ended up spending the next year trying to understand why it was some recent IEMs had impressed me so much. The answer was: They don't have the bad phase issues a lot of IEMs have that make especially percussion sound dead. I didn't realise this was the issue until Jerry Harvey explained it to me. More manufacturers are paying attention to this so it isn't so bad. 

The new Shures are similar in that they sound excellent, but I wouldn't buy them, as without hearing the other filters, they have too much bass for my tastes. However, if I go to the show this year and, yet again, I listen to some headphones or IEMs which impress me so much that everything afterwards sounds awful, even Stax gear, then there has to be a reason for that. If the technology in them is impressive (ie: not just a bunch of regular drivers shoved in yet another generic IEM) and the company sends the actual engineers to the show (like Sony and unlike another extremely famous manufacturer who sends only their junior sales staff) then that will only add to the positive impressions.

^
... LoL

Yeppp a public show environment vs. the personal home one is a completely different experience that's for sure, so i completely understand where you are coming from. Like I said these FXZ200s are not bad sounding iems by any means, it was just that their initial hype was almost boarding insanity cuz of all that carbon nanotube/ carbon/ 3X triple dynamic driver hoopla, etc, etc. All this excitement for the new tech was then compounded by that grand show prize that was given which further hyped these up that's all. There was going to be a hype train for them regardless, since JVC fan bois like me were drooling over the mere thought of a 3X triple dynamic CNT iem. haha

But it does seem that JVC might be a one trick ponysadly, cuz just look at that SZ2000/1000 hype train. Folks were soooo hyped by it before their release but went completely dead afterwards. That was one of the strangest phenomenons i have experienced here at head-fi that's for sure. Like you stated, maybe it's cuz of the case of just have too much bass and people are kinda tired of bass cannons and what something a little bit more refined.

Dat classy response from Currawong.
cool.gif

This time the black birdie beat the grumpy sparrow, while i am just a passerby...... not really.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 2,209
Man I dunno if I can do it... those pioneers were so bad... might just be super honest in that thread and wait to be flamed... sounds fun...

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 2,209
man oh man did I hate the M50 hype, it literally aggravated me so much that people would fall for those cans that truly couldn't punch "above their price"as people say, not at all, especially when compared to the cans that I recommend but am ignored for just because the M50's are "amazing" apparently

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #24 of 2,209
  man oh man did I hate the M50 hype, it literally aggravated me so much that people would fall for those cans that truly couldn't punch "above their price"as people say, not at all, especially when compared to the cans that I recommend but am ignored for just because the M50's are "amazing" apparently

^ so what would you recommend over those M50s??? Is very much interested.  The typical recs today are the JVC S500/ 400s, V-moda m80s, ath es7s/ 700s, etc but they are all on-ears though. So the M50 do have their place but i would no doubt agree that they are over recommended fo' sho.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 2,209
The HP700 does nicely. There are a couple of others that do similarly. Heck even the HP700 had its little "D7000 under $100 but not really" hype.

T-Peos H-100 - well this isn't fair, I've not tried them. But you got all these "the next TF10" comments at first...I think sanity has been restored though.

FA-003/OEMs - tried and true, but got a lot of press as giant-beaters early on. 

M100 - this probably takes the cake for one of the most active and rampant hype threads around.

Will think of more later...someone else can do the work of graphing these...

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #26 of 2,209
^ Since these kind of threads can dwell on the negative aspect of hype too much, lets move on and talk about the gears that have indeed lived up to their hype. The JVC FX40s in Dsnuts' Discovery Thread for my noob @ss was truly a game changer. Never have i heard so much micro details, speed, lushness/ texture in bass, mids and sparkle in the treble from a cheapo iem before.

Then along came the JVC S500s which was another game changer for me, due to it sounding like a more refined FX40s while retaining all those positive traits of carbon nanotube tech. The cheapo $20 JVC S400s are amazing for their price as well, and some guy keep claiming that his S400s sounds even better than his ATH ES700.
rolleyes.gif
Different strokes for different folks i guess but even a big JVC fan boi such as myself can't deny that fact ATH has a much more refined, intricate and complex house sound compared to JVC esp. in the higher end models.

So of me JVC was GOD during my early stages of my audiophile journey but now i have slightly expanded my audio horizons and is more opened minded toward different brand and different sound signatures. But to this date the JVC FX40s, S500s and the S400s still holds a special place in my heart cuz they have more than lived up to their hype for me.

Oh that Sony MH1C was another of those cheapo budget-fi game changers which made me realized what "higher end" and refined sound truly sounded like coming from cheapo JVCs, if not for their truly horrid cable i have kept all my 3 sets, but sadly due to their terrible cable i never used them much. :/

JVC CNT FTW!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 2,209
I've finally caught up with my reading and PMs. Here are some happier hyped.

Funnily enough these suffered from less of overblown hype and more of the typical H-F surge of interest.

RE-400 - well deserving, sets a "waterline" for what the usual neutral/balanced performers can touch upon at the price. 

BA200/IE800 - I do appreciate times like this when the lesser known but amazingly performing are brought out into the open like they were. Kudos. The other TDKs hits close to home for the Canadians...

DBA-02 - like the sound of them or not, you can be sure that these are the ones that started getting people thinking more and more about TWFK awareness. Prior to that you'd hardly see a layman H-F quoting driver models. Got the buzzword abuzz. And more knowledge-leaning is always a good think.

JH13 - I have mixed feelings about this. For better or for worse, it started the flagship CIEM sentiments. For better or for worse, it started out the overpriced sector of the flagship CIEM sentiments and set new precedent for the driver-count fetishizing, price/performance proportional values...basically what the HD800 had done unto the mainstream/popular segment of full-sized on H-F.

I'll think of more later. Maybe I'll edit in links to the threads in my previous mentions.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #28 of 2,209
my cans come to mind such as:
1. The denon hp700: has an amazing detailing capabilities similar to it's (step) brother the d7000, and has a nice textured bass response with lovely treble that isn't silibant and which is not easily found on dj cans, but the mids are slightly recessed
2. HD 439: T50rp's on the cheap, well they were cheap, anyways these cans have a nice sound stock that is very much detailed compared to the hd 558 and can be modded to cover borh extremes of sound signatures (basshead, treble head)
3. vintage k240 sextett's: have the most natural and open sound that I've ever heard and for fairly cheap (~100), however they are very hard to drive

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #29 of 2,209
  I've finally caught up with my reading and PMs. Here are some happier hyped.

Funnily enough these suffered from less of overblown hype and more of the typical H-F surge of interest.

I'll think of more later. Maybe I'll edit in links to the threads in my previous mentions.

^ Congrats??? i guess........
rolleyes.gif

Hey fool, you should do that flow chart cuz only anal mofos such as yourself can get stuff like that done. Nick is too kooky for such intricate matters and you know me being illiterate and all.
tongue.gif

my cans come to mind such as:
1. The denon hp700: has an amazing detailing capabilities similar to it's (step) brother the d7000, and has a nice textured bass response with lovely treble that isn't silibant and which is not easily found on dj cans, but the mids are slightly recessed
2. HD 439: T50rp's on the cheap, well they were cheap, anyways these cans have a nice sound stock that is very much detailed compared to the hd 558 and can be modded to cover borh extremes of sound signatures (basshead, treble head)
3. vintage k240 sextett's: have the most natural and open sound that I've ever heard and for fairly cheap (~100), however they are very hard to drive

Nice recs Arin, have read/ heard great things about those Denon HP700s, just too bad i don't really like how they look. Too old school DJ styled which is kinda dated now, but i am sure they are on par if not better sounding than the M50s cuz even my lowly JVC S500s seems to best those. Many others that have own both the M50 and the S500s seem to prefer the latter mo'. Like i be saying JVC CNT FTW!!! : P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back