THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread.
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #31 of 2,209
Currawong for President.

I'm so-sub'd to this thread. Pure genius.

^
... i would love to take all the credit but some kooky Canadians also had something to do with it as well.
wink.gif
Lets just say i am merely a tool.
redface.gif

Oh and i think you meant to say Currawong for Birdsident.
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 2,209
  ... i would love to take all the credit but some kooky Canadians also had something to do with it as well.
wink.gif
redface.gif

Darn right you're but a mere tool. Don't forget - we own you.

More that came to mind - 

HD800/LCD-2 - hallmarking the era where $1000 finally became mainstream accessible for full-sized. The enemy of the Stax Mafia came nigh. I encourage anyone who wasn't around during that time to read the first few parts of those threads - really is a history lesson in the making. And it really drives home the idea of just how powerful H-F was, and still is, at the time. These might have driven the most response, positive or negative, out of any of the headphones that would have been brought up. True cornerstones - in a historic sense.

Philip SHE3580 - Quite a jump from flagships, pioneered by our own lovely Joe Moe - a wave of interest on equalization followed up soon after, and might be considered one of the more important hypes for the IEM circuit.

GR07/RE0 - Whether you like them or not, they really drove home the point of budget Chinese IEMs being able to compete with stuff above the price - that sentiment of giant-beating that frankly gets beaten to death nowadays. Love them or hate them (it seems most did love them)

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #34 of 2,209
And one more...

Jecklin Float - ...Okay only in my dreams, but what glorious dreams those were... 
biggrin.gif
 Come on guys, let's make it happen. Floats for President.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 2,209
SRH940 - remember the initial comparisons of one member in particular who thought they were HD800 class [shakes head].

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #37 of 2,209
Keep it coming TwinQY! Good stuff :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #38 of 2,209
Two more before I crash - 

TG334 - The K3003 might have popularized the $1000+ IEMs. The FitEars legitimatized it. While thoughts have changed, these were regarded as virtually unparalleled by some.

T50RP - the dawn of the ortho. Planar nuts and modders will agree that there's better pickings. But none as ubitqutious and thoroughly played-with. When the nubs and noobs start out with mods - guess where they go to.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #39 of 2,209
  Two more before I crash - 

TG334 - The K3003 might have popularized the $1000+ IEMs. The FitEars legitimatized it. While thoughts have changed, these were regarded as virtually unparalleled by some.

T50RP - the dawn of the ortho. Planar nuts and modders will agree that there's better pickings. But none as ubitqutious and thoroughly played-with. When the nubs and noobs start out with mods - guess where they go to.

I, on the other hand started modding with my hd 439

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #40 of 2,209
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682453/akg-k812-professional-headphones-coming-soon/60#post_9831323

Some beautiful hyping going on in there!

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #42 of 2,209

I dunno. I'd almost call this anti-hype.

I dunno man, he keeps going on like these are gonna be the second coming of Christ... lol

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #44 of 2,209
^Great stuff ya'll, and LoL regarding those upcoming AKGs.
rolleyes.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/2d/100x100px-LS-2d68f213_AtMYUE1379749217.jpeg[/img]
  1. TwinQY
  2. Something about the rear end of a cat
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1380230199.png

wink.gif
redface.gif

Darn right you're but a mere tool. Don't forget - we own you.

^ Speaking of Kooky Canadians and "ownage," welp how can i not bring this one up cuz it was literally what sealed our bond. <333s 
wink.gif

DAT TDK MT-300 HYPE!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640889/surprise-tdk-mt-300-4-97-of-awesome

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e0/100x100px-LS-e00c6a16_DolbyStereo.jpeg[/img]
  1. inline79
  2. badge_100.v1380230199.png

Sound
Wow.  These were $4.97?  These are $4.97 of awesomeness.  With the right tips, they are some of the most natural sounding IEMs I have heard in the <$50 category.  What really wins me over is something I can't put my finger on - presentation I think.  These really put you in the room with the band, but the right tips make a big difference.  Sealing it up with a bi-flange boosts the bass to sometimes unbearable levels, while a looser comply foam let a bit of bass leak and balanced things out (TDK's own webpage photos show foam tips) .  I settled on a Monster SuperTip foamie as a middle-road because I like some thump.

+

Quote: Oh nick you lil' hypester you!!!
tongue.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/39/100x100px-LS-39eefcfe_bf07_7.jpeg[/img]
  1. nick n
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1380230199.png

The overall signature has a warmness but not so much as to ruin them. This is noticeable as well with the vocals. An effortlessness to them but still detailed enough to hit up the little subtleties.   The bass is simply big and quality, tight, hits hard,  sometimes it's a solid tactile force of nature lol ( but not obscuring the mids and highs ).  I can feel the small thumps in my ears also, this is the rumble and tactile aspect. As well it's not a one note bass type of thing it manages very well without getting occluded and scrambling all the bass notes together, similar to tight deep drum I guess i could say. I can hear the defined individual bass notes as they go through their paces.

Basically it's like a bass emphasis without destroying  the mids and highs because it is a clean solid tactile bass.  The aluminum housing must be contributing to what I am hearing with this, and possibly the space and floating highs. Highs without any overt sibilance or peakiness but excellently portrayed.        

Someone in another thread was referencing sub-bass and well, unless I am braindead, these things seem to have it in spades. It's sort of like the in-the-floor type of subbass too. If the track has got it these will throw it down. So i thought I would post this up. Still loving these. They have been on my head tonight for ~ 4 hours straight ( and still ongoing ), again.
etysmile.gif

I keep looking over at the rest of my fullsized stuff sitting there all quiet. Waiting for their turn.
 They look sad.

+

Quote: Oh you fan boi WAYNE you. : P

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e8/100x100px-LS-e8fc80d7_deadwing2.jpeg[/img]
  1. waynes world
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1380142079.png

Yup, we are all crazy. I did a very little ab'ing while listening to some trance on my computer. The TDK's sounded best out of all of my iem's. The bass is big, but tight and detailed. The mids and vocals are amazing - I think that's what really makes them attractive to me, and why I am liking them more than the xba3's (at least for that track). Nothing seems recessed. The closest sounding iem's I have are the fxd70's, but I prefer the sound of the tdk's. Unbelievable.

+

Quote: DAT HYPE!!!
triportsad.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b7/100x100px-LS-b7ed7091_MoogVoyager.png[/img]
  1. Nyanman

SWEET GEEZUS THESE ARE GOOD! better than my JVC FXT-90 :O Thanks to nick n for introducing me to them :D

+

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6f/100x100px-LS-6f552ac7_61bHhXqTV1L.jpeg[/img]
  1. KEP1

Thanks to cgraham I received mine today.  Without any burn-in, these sound mighty good.  The bass is less abundant than the MH1C's which is a good thing.  The sound is spacious and very engaging.  I think these might be even a bigger find than the MH1C's.  Absolutely loving this sound from such an inexpensive earphone.  I love how tiny it is and fit is perfect. 

I've had a few days to compare the 2 phones, and I agree completely. These are spectacular.

So thanks to this thread I think I may have finally found "my" phones. I'm seriously contemplating sending them off for a re-cable.

+

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/25/100x100px-LS-2567d549_Snapshot_20120108.jpeg[/img]
  1. atomikn00b
  2. badge_500.v1380230199.png

ok. I don't think I can give these a critical listen.

On more than several occasions I've thought: "this song has a bassline?"
well. not exactly. I've know there's a bassline but it was something I could forego and still enjoy the song.
now the bassline is soooo sexy and seductive I can't listen to the sames songs without it.

I'm most impressed by two aspects of this little diamond.
1. the bass is more elevated than that on my gr07 (as expected) yet somehow it's as clean as the gr07. a tad bit slow in comparison, yes. but clean. It's seriously like a clean separate subwoofer is producing the bass. something the mh1c cannot accomplish.

2. SPACE. space is so good backup vocals actually sound like they're backing up.

One thing I wish would improve:
1. timbre. it sounds artificial to my ears. especially the highs. but I expected as much for 5 bux.

Like I said though, I can't really give these a good critical listening. I enjoy them.
I pick these up all of the time now (instead of the mh1c or r1) for on the go listening and even just doing normal tasks (because I know the gr07 will suck me into the music instead of doing what I want to do).

also. quick fix in case you think the bass is overwhelming is a shallow insertion.

oh yeah. mids are basically flat. If you're looking for an upfront presentation, these won't do. However, they are in no way recessed. AT ALL. just flat.

call it blasphemy if you want but if any of you ventured into the fullsize headphone world....
the subbass on this is sexier than the classic denon line of headphones.

it's also quite detailed.
haven't heard the drums and bass in Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" sound like these before.

EDIT. dear headphone gods! i just started thinking of my d2k's sound and realized....
once you adjust for the soundstage difference between headphones and iems,...
this is it in iem form. perhaps better! and those cost me about $300!!!

= Thank god sanity was restored!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/25/100x100px-LS-2567d549_Snapshot_20120108.jpeg[/img]
  1. atomikn00b
  2. badge_500.v1380230199.png

Well. bad news.
After using the mt300 for about two weeks, I go "hmmm. whatever happened to that mh1c?"
So. fired up some tracks and laid in my bed for some listening time.

I like the mh1c's sound better. It's more balanced.
The bass/subbass is lower in quantity and the mids are more present. The difference was striking since I had come to think of the mt300 mids as flat.
Now I'm more inclined to say recessed. The experience is similar to when I received my brainwavz hm5 after using the denon d2k for some months.
The highs in the mh1c are also more present and sparkly.

Overall the mh1c sound is more smooth and refined than the mt300s.

And that complaint I've had with the mt300 about the timbre.
No such flaw here.

So. I'd put it this way.
The mh1c is a much better all rounder than the mt300. Especially with the right tips. I swapped the mt300 and mh1c tips out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. It's like the mh1c tips were designed for the mt300 and mt300 tips for mh1c. I should note that the mh1c tips didn't alter the mt300 sound signature. It simply made the signature more obvious. In other words, it brought out its potential. And one aspect of the mt300 that EXTREMELY impressed me was the positional cues and the front to back placement of instruments (I call that soundstage depth). Your ears may hear different though.

Now I'm off to try to deal with the mh1c cable while moving. If I'm fine with them, the mt300 will have to be given away to a curious head-fier.
If not, I'll have to compare the mt300 to my abandoned brainwavz m4 and see which I like better.

Oh and for those who care. The mh1c is harder to drive than the mt300. I had to volume match when comparing. And yes, the mh1c bass is still slow (to those who can discern that).

+

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e0/100x100px-LS-e00c6a16_DolbyStereo.jpeg[/img]
  1. inline79

Well, back home now, so I thought it about time I really gave the MT300 a solid listen vs Sony MH1C.  <gasp!>

Can the MT300 take down the latest hyped up IEM?  Sadly, atomikn00b said it first: no.  At least, not on sound quality.

It does not take very long to hear the MH1C really come out in the treble.  Clarity is just excellent and outstandingly smooth.  Like almost HF5/XBA3 good.  So in that regard the MT300 just gets left in the "better than average" group.  It can't tango with the big boys here.  Sorry, kid.

Mids are a little tougher, because the MT300 is quite good in the mids, and it seems like the designers spent some time here getting things right.  But still, the MH1C has an edge in mids/vocals, with just that extra little bit of ring.

However, I still prefer the bass of the MT300.  The MH1C has a mid-bass hump which I feel is over-emphasized.  While the sub-bass on both seem to be at the same level, the MH1C boosts the mid-bass while the MT300 keeps it flat, and tight, and therefore enjoyable.

Unfortunately everything else about the MH1C is terrible.  The cable.. my gosh... who thought this was a good idea?  It just curls and curls and curls almost comically.  Then if you so much as MOVE, you hear it all through that cable.  If I had a friend who didn't know what "microphonics" was, i'd send them across the room with the MH1Cs, then with the MT300s.  Night and day.  I could probably go on about how completely impractical the MH1Cs are but I'll stop there and say even though they sound great, mine have not seen much use.  As a headset they are a failure - how can I walk down the street and carry on a phone call when all I hear is the cable rubbing against my clothes?!? grrr!!!!  Damn you hype threads!

^

LESSON LEARNED: You Canadians are indeed very lovely and is very generous regarding sharing the love of these cheapo MT-300s cuz ya'll literally give many of these away for free BRAVO BRAVO!!! If initial impressions seems to be wayyy over the top than it probably is haha, also it takes a lil' while to get over that "New Toy Syndrome" no matter how expensive or inexpensive the said gear is and that later impressions are much more grounded in reality. 

On that note SHOTS FYRED!!!
... <3

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #45 of 2,209
just got to try the m50's with my portable setup (fiio e11, lod, Iphone 4s) and oh mer gerd do those highs scream sibilance, with a lack of texture and neutrality, it def. proved my point that the M50's are just a bunch of hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back