THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread.
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,209

sfwalcer

Master Troll
Welp since head-fi is the head_honcho of this audiophile hobby, it's only natural that the newest and latest audio related tech/gears garner A LOT of interest/hype in this neck of the woods. It's pretty much human nature to be curious and get excited by new things, but it's also easy to be blindsided by the so called "New Toy Syndrome" as well. Therefore, this thread serves as a means to document the most outlandish hype posts and products that has, as well as hasn't lived up to their "hype" spanning head-fi's forum_scape. 

I'll start off this hype thread with the "Z-man", a fellow troll who has won over the hearts but hopefully not the minds of many head-fiers. His last mastery review of the Shure SRH 440s, which was subtly titled "Military grade portable anti-tank missile" was truly a work of hype that deserve a honorable mention no doubt in this thread.

So without further ado HYPE ON!!!
popcorn.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 2,209
All things new will suffer a case of over-excitement from the consumer audience, however slight. These ones though, will be engraved in the annels...
(I have no opinion on whether or not they deserved the hype or not, just using the response garnered as a metric. Heck I've bought all of the ones I mentioned because of the hype. See it worked now didn't it)
(And another thing - hype might not be meant in a negative connotation. I don't mean it in a negative connotation. It'll be the reader who projects that)

EPH100 - one of the bigger, newer cases of hype I've seen. Welp that quickly escalated.

Everything/anything JVC - i.e. the Vatican City of IEM creation.

W3 - probably before the master troll's day, but from the initial impressions you would have thought that the damned thing was the next cure for cancer.

SM3 - the only one who's currently on record for having required 3 threads, as the first two were blocked. You loved them, you hated them, but it couldn't have been in between because these French thingmadingdongs evoked passion like a walk on the Promenade in Nice.

DT48 - I'm not even going to touch this topic with a 20-foot pole. People here will understand.

I'll think of more later.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 2,209
  All things new will suffer a case of over-excitement from the consumer audience, however slight. These ones though, will be engraved in the annels...
(I have no opinion on whether or not they deserved the hype or not, just using the response garnered as a metric. Heck I've bought all of the ones I mentioned because of the hype. See it worked now didn't it)
(And another thing - hype might not be meant in a negative connotation. I don't mean it in a negative connotation. It'll be the reader who projects that)

EPH100 - one of the bigger, newer cases of hype I've seen. Welp that quickly escalated.

Everything/anything JVC - i.e. the Vatican City of IEM creation.

W3 - probably before the master troll's day, but from the initial impressions you would have thought that the damned thing was the next cure for cancer.

SM3 - the only one who's currently on record for having required 3 threads, as the first two were blocked. You loved them, you hated them, but it couldn't have been in between because these French thingmadingdongs evoked passion like a walk on the Promenade in Nice.

DT48 - I'm not even going to touch this topic with a 20-foot pole. People here will understand.

I'll think of more later.

^ Welp that was why i mentioned that both posts/ quotes that supports, as well as deviates from the "hype" are ALL welcomed. There are gears that more than justifies their hype and has lived up to it, while others have not. Hence those that have failed to live up to their hype is relegated as FOTM material, but only time can tell sadly.

That is why we have to weave through all the initial bollocks in order to see a clear picture of the true sonic properties of a product, if you knowhatimeng.
wink.gif

But hey meng bring me them funny quotes/ posts fool!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 2,209
Not even just z-man... there's a lot of crazy in that disaster of a thread...

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 2,209
  Not even just z-man... there's a lot of crazy in that disaster of a thread...

dunno know what you mean. Yeah the Z_man wasn't even part of that thread but he was responsible for driving it to the forefront with his hype about that ~$100 holy grail headphone he be harping on and on about though, so......... that thread was GODLY!!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 2,209

dunno know what you mean. Yeah the Z_man wasn't even part of that thread but he was responsible for driving it to the forefront with his hype about that ~$100 holy grail headphone he be harping on and on about though, so......... that thread was GODLY!!!
biggrin.gif

He was there in spirit! lol I kinda feel like going back into that thread and hyping those cans just to do it...

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 2,209
Lol I'll author an acceptable post tomorrow after work.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 2,209
I remember listening to Public Enemy when Flavor Flav implored us not to believe the hype. It was forever embedded in my mind but when certain threads came about, i couldn't resist because sometimes, resistance is futile. Now I have the patience to let the hype settle down before I make an irrational purchase.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 2,209
Thought of a few more - 

M50 - Now it's not exactly fair to put this one on the list. They are slightly more worthy than the Jecklin Floats. 

CKN70 - sort of, not really - you don't see a lot of positive comments on these anymore.

HTF-600 - Now this was a big one. Was considered the greatest giant-beating thing since sliced bread

Superlux HD681 - Same as above, though I do have a soft spot for it.

Somics - Both of them. Were rather good - the approach that people took to it was less so.

MH1C - This was a big one. Possibly a hallmark in terms of ushering in the under $50 giant-beating budget line (the Monoprice played out differently) for IEMs, within the view of the general populace, not just the IEM-freaks. People who had all the headphones, but never touched an IEM - this was big for them and is recent so touches closer to home. If I was to talk about the old old JVC microdrivers or the Soundmagics or any of those budgets back from '09 it would have probably drawn a blank.

That being said...

Monoprice 8320 - Granted I still love mine. But this one was pretty heavy early on.

HA-FXC51 - Previously mentioned.

I'll think up of more full-sized ones later...

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 2,209
Hopefully someone makes a HYPE flow chart to map out roughly the various stages.
Something roughly akin to this.

Shirt or coffee mug type material. I'd make one with a chart on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back