The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,766 of 19,652
Actually my colleague came to my desk and asked what kinda ipod looking gadget I bought from Taobao. When he switched the screen on the first thing he said was "wow, pretty well made." You know how in general people in Hong Kong often think China brands are in bad quality.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,767 of 19,652
Hey Mim,

I was already pretty much settled on X5 but now with your comments and help, I it is for sure, I am getting it.

I appreciate your help and the time you took to test SE5way. Really helpful
wink.gif

Edit: On a second thought, what is the volume percentage you use with SE5way? For normal listening conditions I would guess less than 50% probably right?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,769 of 19,652
The screen itself is actually gorgeous, comparable to the screen on Nano 7G, and pretty much beat every other small screen on DAP out there (beside iDevice of course). You can find small LCD screen in China if the quality isn't your main concern, which explain why DX50 or HM901's screen don't look that great. Really high quality small screen is almost a custom order so there is a minimum price and quantity involved. The problem is you can't just go out and order 10k screen without the confidence that you can use them all. So the logical choice is to source from manufacturer that have ready-made product and therefore limited your choices. It is actually far easier to order a decent looking smartphone size screen as those are where most of the LCD makers are focusing on. Small, high quality LCD on the other hand is no longer a 'hot' product as they are a few years back, in the mp3 era. This particular screen on X5 is actually from Japan, I believe. If we can all agree to top up $100, I am sure something can be done :)

Thx clieos for shedding some light here........this concludes 2 things from the above. There is one of the strong reason behind why apple's gadget price is high and if the X5 display is better than DX50 & HM901, we'll continue to keep the same way to save $$$ as all it matters is "SOUND".

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,770 of 19,652

1. The pairing with the Kaede is indeed quite good, even closer to 901 performance (but still not quite there). I would say that, from memory, I prefer the sound of X5 over AK100 modded and AK120 (not a matter of performance necessarily but of preference)

Glad to know that I am not hallucinating on this one. The X5 + Kaede pairing is bringing me great enjoyment. The X5 brings the Kaede's inherent brightness under control and also seems to bring out of the best in the Kaede's speaker-like soundstage. It is an example of great synergy.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,772 of 19,652
Actually my colleague came to my desk and asked what kinda ipod looking gadget I bought from Taobao. When he switched the screen on the first thing he said was "wow, pretty well made." You know how in general people in Hong Kong often think China brands are in bad quality.

Most audiophile brands that are even known in HK are of pretty good quality. It's the brands that don't make it out that generally aren't. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,773 of 19,652
  Most audiophile brands that are even known in HK are of pretty good quality. It's the brands that don't make it out that generally aren't. 

I am aware of that but there is still this old school misconception that electronic brands from overseas are usually better quality.  Brands like Xiaomi will probably change that...

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #3,774 of 19,652
So how much zx1 can carry when the competitor is x5?
I already answered this and would rather not compare too much. X5 is more powerful and fuller sounding, ZX1 is colder and airier with wider soundstage. The ZX1 UI is better, the X5 sound is more versatile but the ZX1 can outshine it on certain pairing. So on par but very different SQ wise and edge to the ZX1 for UI and design. Of course X5 is half the price.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,775 of 19,652
Hey Mim,

I was already pretty much settled on X5 but now with your comments and help, I it is for sure, I am getting it.

I appreciate your help and the time you took to test SE5way. Really helpful :wink:

Edit: On a second thought, what is the volume percentage you use with SE5way? For normal listening conditions I would guess less than 50% probably right?
In a quiet environment, much less than half. It is a powerful player.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,778 of 19,652
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #3,779 of 19,652

Yep, I can try tonight when I get home from work & gym. As it'll be a very preliminary brief comparison with an X5 with only 36 hrs burn-in, you'll have to take my preliminary impressions with a large pinch of salt.

So these are my very very brief thoughts on the X5. It had gone through about 40 hrs of burn-in by the time I got home (I'm starting my impressions late at night!). Please take this with a large grain of salt. In no particular order :-

[with my FitEar MH335DW & Tralucent Silver/Gold cable]
- The X5 seems to be a tad warmer than the ZX1 shifting the spectrum a little more towards the mid bass
- Its trebles extend as high as the ZX1 but a touch less forward
- The X5 is able to convey a greater sense of depth but the ZX1 seems to be a little wider in staging
- The X5 bass is very nicely layered
- Can't finger it yet but on some tracks, I find the X5 a little mellow whilst ZX1 seems more anxious to rush through the track, in on a different album, it's the reverse. Will need to play around with this more
- The X5 seems to be a little mellower than the ZX1 or the ZX1 seems a little more "anxious" to proceed through.
- Sonically I could really live with both as they're just more different styles than one being superior than the other. However, I think I'd personally prefer my MH335DW with the ZX1, whilst my Alpha Dogs with the X5 (just to give you an idea on headphone signature synergy paring with the respective DAPs)
- Occasional click when jumping to another track (in a different album?)
- Occasional rewind of a track, there's a burst or snippet of what was in the buffer (maybe flushing?) before playing the start of the track. Again happens only occasionally.
- Capable of driving the AD's. Not perfect but decent job. Using high gain I'm on Vol setting 96 to equate to, say, my MH335DW at low gain/Vol 62.

Non-Sonic
- The X5 is solidly built. You feel you're holding something that's properly crafted - I'd dare say aluminium CNCed
- The X5 scroll wheel is a little too loose for me. I find I easily overshoot my selection choice especially in the front main menu. For some reason I kinda prefer the prototype metal/grated scroll wheel
- So far the X5 menu is still a little counter intuitive for me but that's probably just more training in muscle memory
- This thing scanned my 2x64GB in 2 mins! I'm impressed!
- Gapless isn't exactly gapless
- I do like the display of Gain at the top menu bar (either G=H or G=L...kinda safety precaution display)

Wishlist (note still on FW1.0, haven't upgraded to FW1.1 yet and don't know if I should after cooperwc's comments)
- Gapless to be gapless
- Buttons to wake up device from sleep instead of having to press the home button first
- The scroll wheel to adjust volume by default instead of having to press the volume button first (ok I know some people like it as it is, then maybe a menu option for user to choose the default behaviour)
- Whilst playing a song and jumping to the main menu to do whatever (e.g. to Play Settings), I do wish when I go back to Play By Category that it'll remember I was in Albums and roughly around album I was on. Kind of replicate the "Now Playing" from the main menu.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,780 of 19,652
hI GUYS so iv been rocking the AK100 for a while now and im looking to shake things up abit. 

where can i find a X5 vs ak100 comparison ???

Cuz i dont mind selling my Ak100 and getting the X5 , but if it already "better" then Nvm Id go in the direction of the DX90. Just looking for something to pair with my ASG-2 without an amp if possible, though i never found the 22ohm a problem with the ASG-2. 

So how ? do i Sell the Ak100, cuz here in Singapore MSRP is still $899 SGD and the X5 here is $500 SGD so i could easily sell my AK100 for like $750SGD and buy the X5 , but i prefer not to go backwards if you know what i mean , even if it is just a little. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back