The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,796 of 19,652
I already answered this and would rather not compare too much. X5 is more powerful and fuller sounding, ZX1 is colder and airier with wider soundstage. The ZX1 UI is better, the X5 sound is more versatile but the ZX1 can outshine it on certain pairing. So on par but very different SQ wise and edge to the ZX1 for UI and design. Of course X5 is half the price.

I'll add that the ZX1 only outputs 15mW into a 16-Ohm load - weaker than an iPhone - so I wouldn't recommend it for use with anything but IEMs and very efficient headphones.  

And don't bother with connecting the ZX-1 to Sony's PHA-2 DAC/amp, with anything but efficient headphones.  Even the PHA-2's output is only 58mW into 50 Ohms. 

I don't know what the specs are for the X5 output power, but it would really surprise me if it's less than 58mW into 50 Ohms - that's weak!   And 15mW into 16 Ohms is even weaker.  

I think Sony sacrificed power for play time in both the ZX-1 and the PHA-2.  But they probably sound pretty good with transducers that can get by on very little power.

Mike

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,797 of 19,652
So when is the release date for the X5?

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,798 of 19,652

I'll add that the ZX1 only outputs 15mW into a 16-Ohm load - weaker than an iPhone - so I wouldn't recommend it for use with anything but IEMs and very efficient headphones.  

And don't bother with connecting the ZX-1 to Sony's PHA-2 DAC/amp, with anything but efficient headphones.  Even the PHA-2's output is only 58mW into 50 Ohms. 

I don't know what the specs are for the X5 output power, but it would really surprise me if it's less than 58mW into 50 Ohms - that's weak!   And 15mW into 16 Ohms is even weaker.  

I think Sony sacrificed power for play time in both the ZX-1 and the PHA-2.  But they probably sound pretty good with transducers that can get by on very little power.

Mike

You can find FiiO's output power here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

Please check the specifications section. Apparently it has plenty of power. AnakChan also reported it drives Alpha Dogs pretty good, not the best you can find around but pretty good.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,800 of 19,652
But remember loads of power is not the answer, as i've learned more power is not necessarily better amping. I honestly get annoyed when i read comment asking whether x5 can drive a hd800. Honestly loudness isn't the same as proper amping.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,801 of 19,652

You can find FiiO's output power here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

Please check the specifications section. Apparently it has plenty of power. AnakChan also reported it drives Alpha Dogs pretty good, not the best you can find around but pretty good.

But I didn't say it drives it pretty good
wink_face.gif
. Apologies I should be more clear with my words.

It has the power to drive the AD's for sure. And in terms of the AD where it has a mid-to-bright tendency whilst the X5 seems to shift towards the opposite, the synergy between the two match to balance out.

Overall I'm satisfied with the results of the X5 -> ADs but won't say that I'm wow-ed by it. I may try the X5 -> TUR-06 -> ADs later this week.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,802 of 19,652
But I didn't say it drives it pretty good :wink_face: . Apologies I should be more clear with my words.

It has the power to drive the AD's for sure. And in terms of the AD where it has a mid-to-bright tendency whilst the X5 seems to shift towards the opposite, the synergy between the two match to balance out.

Overall I'm satisfied with the results of the X5 -> ADs but won't say that I'm wow-ed by it. I may try the X5 -> TUR-06 -> ADs later this week.

Hi anakchan! Have you tried your m100s with the X5? Any feedbacks?

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,803 of 19,652
Hi anakchan! Have you tried your m100s with the X5? Any feedbacks?

Sadly not. My M-100's have been left with a friend since November. Thanks for the reminder that I probably should get it back some time. Going by my memory and my gut though, the M100 is quite a bass-warm type signature with a neutral treble (and some may even call rolled off but not for me). The X5 is "slightly" warm so I'm going to speculate warm-on-warm. Maybe not suited for some listeners' tastes. But I'm also guessing there's going to be a great sense of depth imaging in that combination.

Let me get my M100 back (and money to the same friend I sold my M500's to!!) and try it with the X5 to see if my speculation is right or wrong.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,804 of 19,652

I speculate that this might be related to the way the 'Gapless' function is implemented in the firmware, rather than a permanent hardware issue.

Yes that was what I had in mind. I'm actually not aware of any other buffers in terms of hardware implementation. But then again when it comes to audio electronics, I definitely sit on the user-side of the fence.

P.S. your statement has intrigued me and therefore could you please PM me a little more about the design/use of hardware buffers in audio electronics? You've reminded me that I come across this "BUF634" every now and then and never thought much about it until now.

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3,806 of 19,652
Sadly not. My M-100's have been left with a friend since November. Thanks for the reminder that I probably should get it back some time. Going by my memory and my gut though, the M100 is quite a bass-warm type signature with a neutral treble (and some may even call rolled off but not for me). The X5 is "slightly" warm so I'm going to speculate warm-on-warm. Maybe not suited for some listeners' tastes. But I'm also guessing there's going to be a great sense of depth imaging in that combination.

Let me get my M100 back (and money to the same friend I sold my M500's to!!) and try it with the X5 to see if my speculation is right or wrong.

Ahhh... OK maybe I'll be waiting for your feedback and hope you'll get your m100s as soon as possible.. specially the ca$$$h! Lol.. :smile_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back