Spotify lossless ... will it ever happen?
Feb 25, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #61 of 102
I disagree with the whole being walked into a garden sentiment. I have an iPhone but that’s about it. I use products from other companies all the time. The whole “walled garden” thing is IMO something that can be ignored and isn’t entirely true. You don’t have to use all of Apple’s products, you can only use one and still be happy.

But people who prefer Android typically won’t go and try iOS anyways because of their enthusiasm and preference for the Android platform.
I've heard it from Apple users and it's also painfully obvious. I don't think everyone gets stuck in it, but just because you didn't certainly doesn't mean it didn't exist. The text color bubble and group text stuff is a legit thing among people. I've read multiple articles where the Android green bubble is a scarlet letter among the younger generation and they will literally get an iPhone so their text color is not changed, to be in the walled garden

Here is an article on the younger kids being clique about the walled garden texting

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen...UtcJFmOqkVwPOJI8KD8jaIgSl8275zvcxQcAZN5o2TPxI

Some of the wording is excessive but the stats are there, and I have seen multiple articles on this. The kids are into their colored bubbles and it is indeed a status symbol in that age group.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #63 of 102
Qobuz has better sound quality and curation/recommendation by far. But if you are looking for stuff at the far edges of catalogs -- like say recent Henry Threadgill albums -- Qobuz doesn't have as much as the others. Still, they're a very worthy underdog.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #64 of 102
I've heard it from Apple users and it's also painfully obvious. I don't think everyone gets stuck in it, but just because you didn't certainly doesn't mean it didn't exist. The text color bubble and group text stuff is a legit thing among people. I've read multiple articles where the Android green bubble is a scarlet letter among the younger generation and they will literally get an iPhone so their text color is not changed, to be in the walled garden

Here is an article on the younger kids being clique about the walled garden texting

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen...UtcJFmOqkVwPOJI8KD8jaIgSl8275zvcxQcAZN5o2TPxI

Some of the wording is excessive but the stats are there, and I have seen multiple articles on this. The kids are into their colored bubbles and it is indeed a status symbol in that age group.
The walled-garden observation about crapple was made decades ago. The main issue is that they control what gets on to *your* crapple devices and limit *your* choices. The whole "jailbreak" idea was because crapple users couldn't install what they wanted, they had to find something to buy from crapple.

The fanboyism and fanatics and technoblindness regarding high price/lack of function/lack of performance are completely secondary.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #65 of 102
The walled-garden observation about crapple was made decades ago. The main issue is that they control what gets on to *your* crapple devices and limit *your* choices. The whole "jailbreak" idea was because crapple users couldn't install what they wanted, they had to find something to buy from crapple.

The fanboyism and fanatics and technoblindness regarding high price/lack of function/lack of performance are completely secondary.
Not sure what are you talking about but no one controls what you get on your Apple device and you can install everything, download all file types and whatever. Regarding audio you can also download, upload and play all formats that I have ever used. Plus integrated DACs and speakers in most Apple products are measuring better than average laptops / mobile phones.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #66 of 102

Lack of performance? You can’t be serious with that one. I agree with high price, but honestly Apple has been a company focused on the premium / high-end market since literally its inception. Their devices aren’t for you if you’re on a budget, can’t afford high end products or just aren’t interested in Apple products.

However I fully and wholeheartedly disagree with the “lack of performance” claim. iPhones have always performed better than all Android phones out today in raw power & typical day to day usage, and they put insane R&D money into ensuring their chips / silicon performs severely well. The same can now be said for Mac computers as well now that they also use Apple’s silicon.

I also disagree with “lack of function”. Sure, iPhones don’t offer very single feature Android phones can offer, but even then not all Android phones have the same features either. You can have features you had on one phone be completely gone on another one when you upgrade. iPhones have an advantage here as they have pretty much identical software feature support across all iPhones, even on lower end ones. Main differences between them are the cameras and the chips. Aside from that there aren’t really major differences in software, they’re mostly in hardware and design.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #67 of 102
Impressive fangirlism and nonsense.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #68 of 102
PC vs MAC or iPhone vs Android. This meme always makes me laugh.
Anyway, childish reddit worth discussion regardless.

1288082590_61_FT7229_mac-vs-pc.jpg

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #69 of 102
Impressive fangirlism and nonsense.
Mind explaining how? I use both android and iOS. I like both. But everything I said is true. I don’t know why you think I’m fangirling, I’m only debunking your points which are objectively false.

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #70 of 102
Lack of performance? You can’t be serious with that one. I agree with high price, but honestly Apple has been a company focused on the premium / high-end market since literally its inception. Their devices aren’t for you if you’re on a budget, can’t afford high end products or just aren’t interested in Apple products.

However I fully and wholeheartedly disagree with the “lack of performance” claim. iPhones have always performed better than all Android phones out today in raw power & typical day to day usage, and they put insane R&D money into ensuring their chips / silicon performs severely well. The same can now be said for Mac computers as well now that they also use Apple’s silicon.

I also disagree with “lack of function”. Sure, iPhones don’t offer very single feature Android phones can offer, but even then not all Android phones have the same features either. You can have features you had on one phone be completely gone on another one when you upgrade. iPhones have an advantage here as they have pretty much identical software feature support across all iPhones, even on lower end ones. Main differences between them are the cameras and the chips. Aside from that there aren’t really major differences in software, they’re mostly in hardware and design.
Apple is very good at manipulating people with their marketing. The fact that you think its "premium / high end" means they've got you convinced. Just because its ridiculously overpriced doesnt make it premium or high end.

They try to push this narrative that they are peddling advanced high tech products but for those of us who are more knowledgeable, we dont fall for that. No apple is not a market leader in chips or hardware. (remember when they used intel cpus for a while). Apple doesn't manufacture any hardware themselves, they pay companies to make them (ie Taiwan semi conductor). They've got you in their pocket if they've managed to convince you that they're some kind of technologically advanced company that builds hardware.

For example. Apple devices are limited to the aac bluetooth codec, which is severely limited in bandwidth. They limit themselves to aac because they are cheap bastards, they don't want to pay qualcomm or sony to license aptx or ldac. While they've done an excellent job in pushing the limits of what aac can achieve, but its not comparable to what qualcomm or sony have developed. Thats why all apple headphones and iems sound like crap on android devices and all non apple stuff dont sound anwyhere near as good as they do on android devices.

Because they maxed out the limits of aac, they're resorting to heavy reliance on DSPs and software based spatial sound to divert attention that the sound quality is inferior to what the higher level codecs can provide.

You can slap a wing and put fancy wheels on toyota corolla but that wont make it perform better than mustang.

Mar 5, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #71 of 102
Apple is very good at manipulating people with their marketing. The fact that you think its "premium / high end" means they've got you convinced. Just because its ridiculously overpriced doesnt make it premium or high end.

They try to push this narrative that they are peddling advanced high tech products but for those of us who are more knowledgeable, we dont fall for that. No apple is not a market leader in chips or hardware. (remember when they used intel cpus for a while). Apple doesn't manufacture any hardware themselves, they pay companies to make them (ie Taiwan semi conductor). They've got you in their pocket if they've managed to convince you that they're some kind of technologically advanced company that builds hardware.

For example. Apple devices are limited to the aac bluetooth codec, which is severely limited in bandwidth. They limit themselves to aac because they are cheap bastards, they don't want to pay qualcomm or sony to license aptx or ldac. While they've done an excellent job in pushing the limits of what aac can achieve, but its not comparable to what qualcomm or sony have developed. Thats why all apple headphones and iems sound like crap on android devices and all non apple stuff dont sound anwyhere near as good as they do on android devices.

Because they maxed out the limits of aac, they're resorting to heavy reliance on DSPs and software based spatial sound to divert attention that the sound quality is inferior to what the higher level codecs can provide.

You can slap a wing and put fancy wheels on toyota corolla but that wont make it perform better than mustang.
Apple doesn’t use aptX or LDAC because they’re proprietary codecs that aren’t royalty free, they have to be licensed, unlike AAC which is an open standard and something that almost everything can decode. Plus, from what I’m aware of, aptX and LDAC aren’t available on all Android phones either, and LDAC isn’t supported by many headphones either. Both codecs have higher quality, sure, but they’re available on a far smaller amount of devices than AAC. Apple never adopts a technology if it isn’t mature or common on a lot of devices.

Also, yes, Apple outsources the manufacturing of their chips to companies like TSMC, but so do companies like Nvidia, AMD, Google etc. And it’s not just those, many companies outsource the manufacturing of their chips to third party semiconductor companies. However, Apple does design their own silicon, they just send over the schematics and implementation details over to TSMC, which handles the mass-scale manufacturing of the silicon that Apple designed, so Apple doesn’t have to deal with the costs of having their own manufacturing / fabrication facility. So you’re incorrect in that Apple doesn’t design their own silicon, but correct in that they outsource manufacturing.

Do you really think that TSMC for example designs Apple’s, Nvidia’s, AMD’s, etc silicon for them? They don’t. Apple wouldn’t have an entire division dedicated to just Apple silicon research and development if TSMC designed everything. Same with the other companies I mentioned.

I’ve been on this planet a long time, I know all about hyperbole, marketing gimmicks and lies, etc, so I know how to call out bull crap when I see it, but I do know Apple is a really good chip designer, and it has nothing to do with fangirlism. For the record, like I stated in an earlier post in this thread, I like both android and iOS, I actually have an S22 Ultra from Samsung along with my iPhone, and I use a Windows PC. I am not partial or biased towards any one company or business.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #72 of 102
Apple doesn’t use aptX or LDAC because they’re proprietary codecs that aren’t royalty free, they have to be licensed, unlike AAC which is an open standard and something that almost everything can decode. Plus, from what I’m aware of, aptX and LDAC aren’t available on all Android phones either, and LDAC isn’t supported by many headphones either. Both codecs have higher quality, sure, but they’re available on a far smaller amount of devices than AAC. Apple never adopts a technology if it isn’t mature or common on a lot of devices.

Also, yes, Apple outsources the manufacturing of their chips to companies like TSMC, but so do companies like Nvidia, AMD, Google etc. And it’s not just those, many companies outsource the manufacturing of their chips to third party semiconductor companies. However, Apple does design their own silicon, they just send over the schematics and implementation details over to TSMC, which handles the mass-scale manufacturing of the silicon that Apple designed, so Apple doesn’t have to deal with the costs of having their own manufacturing / fabrication facility. So you’re incorrect in that Apple doesn’t design their own hardware, but correct in that they outsource manufacturing.

Do you really think that TSMC for example designs Apple’s, Nvidia’s, AMD’s, etc silicon for them? They don’t. Apple wouldn’t have an entire division dedicated to just Apple silicon research and development if TSMC designed everything. Same with the other companies I mentioned.

I’ve been on this planet a long time, I know all about hyperbole, marketing gimmicks and lies, etc, so I know how to call out bull crap when I see it, but I do know apple is a really good chip designer, and it has nothing to do with fangirlism.
Yes, like I said, they're cheap bastards and don't want to pay to license fee for the better tech, yet can't develop a comparable level of tech. Trying to reword what I said to make apple appear in a better light doesn't change the facts.

Don't pretend to know things you don't know. Every single android phone I've owned in about the last 6 years supported ldac. Name one thats available today that doesn't have ldac or aptx support.

aac is a very old FREE tech yes. Its very limited. Looks like you're reaching for an excuse. LDAC and apt x isn't mature or common? Nah wrong on both counts. (They're also lower latency as well). Is it as mature or common as the lightning plug?

Bluetooth-codec-transfer-rate-comparison.png

And don't try to twist my words, I never said they don't design their own hardware, I said they don't MANUFACTURE their own hardware. Never said anything about nvidia, amd or any other company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "designs their own silicon". Is it in reference to SoCs? If thats the case, most other companies like the ones you mentioned also "design their own silicon". I got news for you, all the other companies you mentioned also have "entire divisions dedicated to silicon research" and probably spend more money on R&D than apple for these chips. They're better at it and make a superior product too. Theres a reason why theres no m1 chip for PCs...

Or if you're referring to the fabrication process, no apple has no hand or R&D in that. They don't tell TSMC, "heres the design for the 3nm fabrication process for the new m1 chip". TSMC owns the patent and design for that. They are the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing company in the world, thats why apple, nvidia, amd, etc pays them to make the chips. If they or any other company could do it themselves, I'm sure they would.

This is way over your head.

Knowing about marketing and falling for it are two different things. Like this statement, "iPhones have always performed better than all Android phones out today in raw power & typical day to day usage". This is completely incorrect and blind faith in marketing. They got you good.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #73 of 102
Yes, like I said, they're cheap bastards and don't want to pay to license fee for the better tech, yet can't develop a comparable level of tech. Trying to reword what I said to make apple appear in a better light doesn't change the facts.

Don't pretend to know things you don't know. Every single android phone I've owned in about the last 6 years supported ldac. Name one thats available today that doesn't have ldac or aptx support.

aac is a very old FREE tech yes. Its very limited. Looks like you're reaching for an excuse. LDAC and apt x isn't mature or common? Nah wrong on both counts. (They're also lower latency as well). Is it as mature or common as the lightning plug?

And don't try to twist my words, I never said they don't design their own hardware, I said they don't MANUFACTURE their own hardware. Never said anything about nvidia, amd or any other company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "designs their own silicon". Is it in reference to SoCs? If thats the case, most other companies like the ones you mentioned also "design their own silicon". I got news for you, all the other companies you mentioned also have "entire divisions dedicated to silicon research" and probably spend more money on R&D than apple for these chips. They're better at it and make a superior product too. Theres a reason why theres no m1 chip for PCs...

Or if you're referring to the fabrication process, no apple has no hand or R&D in that. They don't tell TSMC, "heres the design for the 3nm fabrication process for the new m1 chip". TSMC owns the patent and design for that. They are the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing company in the world, thats why apple, nvidia, amd, etc pays them to make the chips. If they or any other company could do it themselves, I'm sure they would.

This is way over your head.

Knowing about marketing and falling for it are two different things. Like this statement, "iPhones have always performed better than all Android phones out today in raw power & typical day to day usage". This is completely incorrect and blind faith in marketing. They got you good.
I’m going to cover your points one by one, in no particular order:

1. The primary reason there are no equivalents to the M1 or M2 chips is because nobody has bothered to properly invest in bringing ARM to the desktop, due to the significant reliance the PC ecosystem has on the x86 architecture - even RISC-V isn’t currently viable as a replacement due to its immaturity. We would probably have far more efficient PCs if we used an architecture like ARM thats very well known for its efficiency and performance in tight thermal environments, but sadly no company is putting significant resources in bringing ARM to the desktop. That doesn’t mean M1 / M2 aren’t good, which they are, and there are numerous sources and evidence that cements this to be the case.

2. On your further points regarding AptX / LDAC, aptX is a Qualcomm exclusive technology from what I’m aware of. I’ve only ever seen decoders for aptX codecs in their own Snapdragon SoCs - even Windows is unable to decide AptX or LDAC, so it’s not even an Apple issue, it’s a Qualcomm and Sony issue. From what I’m additionally aware of, LDAC is an incredibly expensive technology to license which is why it’s typically only available in Sony’s own headphones or high end Bluetooth headphones where the manufacturer can warrant paying the licensing fee for the technology.

3. By common or mature, I meant the overall amount of devices that use or license the tech, not the technology itself, which is good. And from what I know aptX is like I said exclusive to Qualcomm’s own chips, unless it can be licensed, in which case it hasn’t been licensed by many companies. I already said LDAC and aptX are higher quality codecs than AAC on the Android side. And I didn’t say they aren’t relevant, only that the codecs aren’t ultra popular in that most headphones opt for AAC or SBC decoding unless they’re a high end pair. Have you ever wondered why aptX or LDAC is typically only available on Android phones, and isn’t available on other platforms like Windows or Windows Phone (when that existed lol)?

4. I was using AMD, Google, NVIDIA, etc as examples…I was never saying you were referring to them. I was trying to get my point across by mentioning them as examples.

5. Apple spent $26 billion on R&D alone last year according to their 2022 10-K report - in terms of R&D spending they’re one of the top companies in terms of R&D spend, and probably the biggest tech company that spends that much. Amazon spent $50 billion on R&D but they aren’t in the same categories as Apple.

6. Neither AMD or Intel compete with Apple’s silicon for example. Apples silicon is entirely ARM based and AMD and Intel have no ARM CPUs, they only focus on x86. Not to mention Apple silicon is proprietary to Apple’s own products, so they can’t really compete with Apple anyways. Competition implies competing in the same segments, however Apple doesn’t sell their chips to the public.

7. I never said Apple had a say in the fabrication process? Only that Apple designs their own silicon and sends it off to TSMC for manufacturing. They also request the node that TSMC uses to fabricate the silicon from, e.g. 3nm or 5nm when the said process node is ready to be used. I did not say that they design the node fabrication process. Apple literally just requested TSMC’s entire initial allocation for silicon manufactured on the 3nm node for their A17 chip to be used in the upcoming iPhone.

Also I honestly disagree with your sentiment that companies make better silicon than Apple, when they don’t. Apple is the only company that uses SoCs based on the ARM architecture in their laptop and desktop computers, and as I said earlier in this thread, they are the best performing ARM processors in the desktop and laptop computing landscape.

Also, like I said, I have both the S22 Ultra and an iPhone. In my personal experience, my iPhone has performed better than my S22 Ultra. And my friend who has a Pixel 7 Pro has also said that the iPhone performs better. I have no idea why you’re so anti-Apple to the point of saying false claims, but they aren’t helpful. It has nothing to do with marketing and I don’t appreciate the implication that I’m being fed the marketing and drinking it up like it’s kool-aid. That is severely unfair and unkind to me, as I literally said I never read into the marketing. I use products for myself and judge them myself. I don’t rely on marketing.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #74 of 102
I’m going to cover your points one by one, in no particular order:

1. The primary reason there are no equivalents to the M1 or M2 chips is because nobody has bothered to properly invest in bringing ARM to the desktop, due to the significant reliance the PC ecosystem has on the x86 architecture - even RISC-V isn’t currently viable as a replacement due to its immaturity. We would probably have far more efficient PCs if we used an architecture like ARM thats very well known for its efficiency and performance in tight thermal environments, but sadly no company is putting significant resources in bringing ARM to the desktop. That doesn’t mean M1 / M2 aren’t good, which they are, and there are numerous sources and evidence that cements this to be the case.

2. On your further points regarding AptX / LDAC, aptX is a Qualcomm exclusive technology from what I’m aware of. I’ve only ever seen decoders for aptX codecs in their own Snapdragon SoCs - even Windows is unable to decide AptX or LDAC, so it’s not even an Apple issue, it’s a Qualcomm and Sony issue. From what I’m additionally aware of, LDAC is an incredibly expensive technology to license which is why it’s typically only available in Sony’s own headphones or high end Bluetooth headphones where the manufacturer can warrant paying the licensing fee for the technology.

3. By common or mature, I meant the overall amount of devices that use or license the tech, not the technology itself, which is good. And from what I know aptX is like I said exclusive to Qualcomm’s own chips, unless it can be licensed, in which case it hasn’t been licensed by many companies. I already said LDAC and aptX are higher quality codecs than AAC on the Android side. And I didn’t say they aren’t relevant, only that the codecs aren’t ultra popular in that most headphones opt for AAC or SBC decoding unless they’re a high end pair. Have you ever wondered why aptX or LDAC is typically only available on Android phones, and isn’t available on other platforms like Windows or Windows Phone (when that existed lol)?

4. I was using AMD, Google, NVIDIA, etc as examples…I was never saying you were referring to them. I was trying to get my point across by mentioning them as examples.

5. Apple spent $26 billion on R&D alone last year according to their 2022 10-K report - in terms of R&D spending they’re one of the top companies in terms of R&D spend, and probably the biggest tech company that spends that much. Amazon spent $50 billion on R&D but they aren’t in the same categories as Apple.

6. Neither AMD or Intel compete with Apple’s silicon for example. Apples silicon is entirely ARM based and AMD and Intel have no ARM CPUs, they only focus on x86. Not to mention Apple silicon is proprietary to Apple’s own products, so they can’t really compete with Apple anyways. Competition implies competing in the same segments, however Apple doesn’t sell their chips to the public.

7. I never said Apple had a say in the fabrication process? Only that Apple designs their own silicon and sends it off to TSMC for manufacturing. They also request the node that TSMC uses to fabricate the silicon from, e.g. 3nm or 5nm when the said process node is ready to be used. I did not say that they design the node fabrication process. Apple literally just requested TSMC’s entire initial allocation for silicon manufactured on the 3nm node for their A17 chip to be used in the upcoming iPhone.

Also I honestly disagree with your sentiment that companies make better silicon than Apple, when they don’t. Apple is the only company that uses SoCs based on the ARM architecture in their laptop and desktop computers, and as I said earlier in this thread, they are the best performing ARM processors in the desktop and laptop computing landscape.

Also, like I said, I have both the S22 Ultra and an iPhone. In my personal experience, my iPhone has performed better than my S22 Ultra. And my friend who has a Pixel 7 Pro has also said that the iPhone performs better. I have no idea why you’re so anti-Apple to the point of saying false claims, but they aren’t helpful. It has nothing to do with marketing and I don’t appreciate the implication that I’m being fed the marketing and drinking it up like it’s kool-aid. That is severely unfair and unkind to me, as I literally said I never read into the marketing. I use products for myself and judge them myself. I don’t rely on marketing.
I see you decided to sidestep all my questions and talk about a different subject at every opportunity. I won't waste time with your post because alot of this stuff is way over your head, pretending to know things you don't.

1. ARM is an independent company, not owned by apple. They license their tech to companies like qualcomm or have join ventures with companies like apple. No one is bringing arm to desktop because it can't compete. Its more expensive and less powerful, the only benefit is the size.

2. Wrong again. Apt x and ldac are not exclusive, they are owned by qualcomm and sony and licensed out. And again making claims that are not true, I don't know what the price is for the license and neither do you, lets not pretend you know exactly what the price is and that its "extremely expensive". Alot of chifi products have ldac support, including hiby, fiio, topping devices. If it were very expensive, those devices would cost alot more.

I'm not even going to waste time addressing the rest of your post because its obvious you're trying to divert from the questions I asked you. I'm anti apple because they try to compensate their shortcomings with marketing, as if the consumer is too stupid to know. I'll give it to them, they are good at it. Ie, how much R&D do you think is put into that $80 1 button mouse they sell that will justify the price?

Still haven't answered my question, you said this "Plus, from what I’m aware of, aptX and LDAC aren’t available on all Android phones either, and LDAC isn’t supported by many headphones either."

Which android phone thats available now doesn't support apt x or ldac? I already told you all my android phones for the past 6 years have aptx or ldac support.

It looks like you will say anything so you wont have to admit you're wrong, how very apple of you.

And what false claims have I made? Please be specific, as I don't like being called a liar by a liar.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #75 of 102
I already said LDAC and aptX are higher quality codecs than AAC on the Android side. And I didn’t say they aren’t relevant, only that the codecs aren’t ultra popular in that most headphones opt for AAC or SBC decoding unless they’re a high end pair. Have you ever wondered why aptX or LDAC is typically only available on Android phones, and isn’t available on other platforms like Windows or Windows Phone (when that existed lol)?
Every Android phone I owned had LDAC, every BT dongle I owned had one, my cheap SoundPEATS earbuds support aptX, and Sony WH-100XM4 LDAC.
And Windows 10 supports aptX out of the box and Win 11 with additional installed driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back