Spotify lossless ... will it ever happen?
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #76 of 102
I see you decided to sidestep all my questions and talk about a different subject at every opportunity. I won't waste time with your post because alot of this stuff is way over your head, pretending to know things you don't.

1. ARM is an independent company, not owned by apple. They license their tech to companies like qualcomm or have join ventures with companies like apple. No one is bringing arm to desktop because it can't compete. Its more expensive and less powerful, the only benefit is the size.

2. Wrong again. Apt x and ldac are not exclusive, they are owned by qualcomm and sony and licensed out. And again making claims that are not true, I don't know what the price is for the license and neither do you, lets not pretend you know exactly what the price is and that its "extremely expensive". Alot of chifi products have ldac support, including hiby, fiio, topping devices. If it were very expensive, those devices would cost alot more.

I'm not even going to waste time addressing the rest of your post because its obvious you're trying to divert from the questions I asked you. I'm anti apple because they try to compensate their shortcomings with marketing, as if the consumer is too stupid to know. I'll give it to them, they are good at it. Ie, how much R&D do you think is put into that $80 1 button mouse they sell that will justify the price?

Still haven't answered my question, you said this "Plus, from what I’m aware of, aptX and LDAC aren’t available on all Android phones either, and LDAC isn’t supported by many headphones either."

Which android phone thats available now doesn't support apt x or ldac? I already told you all my android phones for the past 6 years have aptx or ldac support.

It looks like you will say anything so you wont have to admit you're wrong, how very apple of you.

And what false claims have I made? Please be specific, as I don't like being called a liar by a liar.
I’m only going to say one thing: ARM is an architecture as well as a company. And ARM is incredibly powerful. I’ve watched numerous videos on apple’s arm architecture with the M series chips and they are plenty powerful. They can encode a 4k video in a matter of minutes with both Premiere Pro & Final Cut; I’ve seen it happen. Not to mention they’re insane at Blender stuff and most other things that are resource intensive. The fact that you’re trying to argue that ARM isn’t powerful is a really sad remark, especially when engineers spend thousands of man hours on designing silicon around the ARM architecture. And what?! ARM is not more expensive than x86…where on earth did you read this? Do you know the sheer number of devices that use ARM? Routers, phones, tablets, cameras, etc? Many things use ARM. If it was expensive, the number of devices that use it wouldn’t be as big as it is.

Here’s a couple links regarding both the ARM architecture as well as the company itself: ARM architecture family and ARM Limited

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 102
Every Android phone I owned had LDAC, every BT dongle I owned had one, my cheap SoundPEATS earbuds support aptX, and Sony WH-100XM4 LDAC.
And Windows 10 supports aptX out of the box and Win 11 with additional installed driver.
The XM4’s are literally designed and engineered by Sony. Of course they’d support LDAC. It’s their own codec, and their own headphones…

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #78 of 102
I see you decided to sidestep all my questions and talk about a different subject at every opportunity. I won't waste time with your post because alot of this stuff is way over your head, pretending to know things you don't.

1. ARM is an independent company, not owned by apple. They license their tech to companies like qualcomm or have join ventures with companies like apple. No one is bringing arm to desktop because it can't compete. Its more expensive and less powerful, the only benefit is the size.

2. Wrong again. Apt x and ldac are not exclusive, they are owned by qualcomm and sony and licensed out. And again making claims that are not true, I don't know what the price is for the license and neither do you, lets not pretend you know exactly what the price is and that its "extremely expensive". Alot of chifi products have ldac support, including hiby, fiio, topping devices. If it were very expensive, those devices would cost alot more.

I'm not even going to waste time addressing the rest of your post because its obvious you're trying to divert from the questions I asked you. I'm anti apple because they try to compensate their shortcomings with marketing, as if the consumer is too stupid to know. I'll give it to them, they are good at it. Ie, how much R&D do you think is put into that $80 1 button mouse they sell that will justify the price?

Still haven't answered my question, you said this "Plus, from what I’m aware of, aptX and LDAC aren’t available on all Android phones either, and LDAC isn’t supported by many headphones either."

Which android phone thats available now doesn't support apt x or ldac? I already told you all my android phones for the past 6 years have aptx or ldac support.

It looks like you will say anything so you wont have to admit you're wrong, how very apple of you.

And what false claims have I made? Please be specific, as I don't like being called a liar by a liar.
Also, for the record, I didn’t sidestep anything you said. I commented on pretty much every single one of your points.

To answer your question, my Pixel 3 XL from a few years back lacked support for LDAC or aptX or I just never had headphones that supported it. I know for a fact that I could never get either codec to work on my OnePlus 5T though. I also know that the majority of phones DO have it, but some don’t, especially ones that use MediaTek chips IIRC.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #79 of 102
Also, for the record, I didn’t sidestep anything you said. I commented on pretty much every single one of your points.

To answer your question, my Pixel 3 XL from a few years back lacked support for LDAC or aptX or I just never had headphones that supported it. I know for a fact that I could never get either codec to work on my OnePlus 5T though. I also know that the majority of phones DO have it, but some don’t, especially ones that use MediaTek chips IIRC.

Anyways, I’m leaving this thread. I do know what I’m talking about, however it seems that no matter what I say, even if it’s research or personal experience based, apparently I’m just drinking the marketing kool aid.
Sidestepped every question again, didnt answer a single one. Diverting the topic again, answering questions no one asked. Perhaps you've confused this for a politics debate.

You called me a liar, please specify what false claims did I make?

Again, which android phone doesn't support aptx or ldac as per your claim? You know its funny, I had a oneplus 5 which is the predecessor to the 5t and it had aptx support, just because you couldnt get to work doesn't mean it didnt have it now does it? Perhaps you were trying to connect it to an apple device 🤷‍♂️

I pointed out several incorrect claims you made, in a court of law thems called perjury. I could eviscerate your entire post but I'll save you the embarrassment. And no, thinking you know what you're talking about and actually knowing for a fact are two different things. Perhaps that bro science conjecture might work on the apple crowd but sure doesn't work here.

Enjoy your kool aid.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #80 of 102
On a totally different but more basic front...the change in Windows 8 and newer, with the surveillance and terrible interface, made me move to Mac. I'm typing this on a Mac. Not anti-Apple.

But I have a lot, terabytes, of music files on NTFS drives that I would like to consolidate. And out of sheer pissiness -- because, c'mon, there are converters for everything -- my Mac considers my NTFS hard drives "read only." That is just ridiculous. Apple is not exactly nonprofit and certainly it has made other deals with M$ for interoperability .

Also, the Android File Transfer app, to move music/photos to/from my Android phone, is deliberately clunky. If Apple is so brilliant at software then these stupid little turf battles shouldn't happen.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #82 of 102
I think it’s best that we move on from this subject. This whole subject has severely derailed the purpose and discussion of this thread and it’s unfair to the person who started this thread to begin with.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #83 of 102
You’re saying apple doesn’t make high end hardware at all. Instead apparently it’s all just gimmicks and marketing, even though it’s not and there are hundreds of individual sources to prove this.

And I just looked it up, apparently even phones with mediatek chips have support for aptX and LDAC. I retract my statements regarding that.

I typically always do my research. I avoided replying to your other points because thus far you’ve continued to spin the “Apple only has marketing” rhetoric despite the fact that I have personal experience to debunk it and even when I brought my own personal experience into this with my S22 Ultra and my iPhone 13 Pro Max I’m still wrong?

Please provide factual sources to prove that “Apple only does marketing and makes poor hardware”. Because I understand not liking apples products, that’s entirely fine and I’d accept that. But you’re trying to spin the rhetoric that apple only does marketing and doesn’t actually make good hardware, despite the fact that they do? Over some silly audio codecs that only people with specific headphones can use? That seems awfully unfair, and I’d say the same exact thing if it was Samsung, Google, Xiaomi or literally any other company in the place of Apple.

This whole Bluetooth thing is exactly why I never use Bluetooth and only ever use wired. Because then I don’t have to deal with Bluetooth audio codecs at all.

There is no place for false statements in this world.
Now you're just making things up and trying to create an argument where you think you can win something lol.

I never said any of those things. Post a quote.

Lets just add that to list of "false claims" you made in this thread thus far, the last one being that you were leaving this thread.

You absolutely did not do the research because you made the claim that aptx and ldac are not mature or common among today's devices. Which if we're all being honest, I clearly pointed out was wrong.

I agree there is no place for "false statements" or as I like to more clearly label them, lies.

You're the one who dereailed this thread into an "apple is the most advanced premium, high end product products" false statement conversation. Why are you so defensive when people point out facts about apple? It is what it is, let it go. Making up lies is not going to change the facts. This is not apple marketing 101.

I'm really not going to waste anymore of my time with this childishness. Although I do enjoy pointing out your "false statements".

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #85 of 102
Now you're just making things up and trying to create an argument where you think you can win something lol.

I never said any of those things. Post a quote.

Lets just add that to list of "false claims" you made in this thread thus far, the last one being that you were leaving this thread.

You absolutely did not do the research because you made the claim that aptx and ldac are not mature or common among today's devices. Which if we're all being honest, I clearly pointed out was wrong.

I agree there is no place for "false statements" or as I like to more clearly label them, lies.

You're the one who dereailed this thread into an "apple is the most advanced premium, high end product products" false statement conversation. Why are you so defensive when people point out facts about apple? It is what it is, let it go. Making up lies is not going to change the facts. This is not apple marketing 101.

I'm really not going to waste anymore of my time with this childishness. Although I do enjoy pointing out your "false statements".
Most things you’ve said thus far regarding apple and related technologies has literally been false. From apple not being a chip leader (which they literally are, otherwise they wouldn’t use their own chip designs and google wouldn’t have followed in apple’s footsteps with their pixel line using their own tensor chips designed in-house) to ARM not being powerful and companies somehow designing better SoCs than Apple, you have told several lies and false statements.

The only company that makes mobile SoCs that competes with Apple on a significant level is Qualcomm and they still make worse performing chips than Apple, even all these years later. Qualcomm chips have performed worse than Apple’s since at least the A10 Fusion, and Apple literally beat QC to using 64-bit architectures in their chips with the A7 SoC (source). There is also Mediatek, but their SoCs lean more towards midrange than ultra high end and aren’t really used in most phones sold in North America.

ARM processors are literally used in supercomputers. They are powerful as hell and it’s wrong to think otherwise. There are numerous factual sources to prove this.

You want to know a company that isn’t a chip leader? Samsung. They can’t design their Exynos processors to perform well at all, even when they partner up with AMD. It’s why they stopped using their Exynos chips on the flagship S series as of the S23 lineup. Because they kept making poor SoCs that performed worse than Snapdragon SoCs.

Not to mention, you also said that ARM was only a company and not an architecture. ARM Limited, for the record, designs and releases the ARM architecture, which companies like apple and Qualcomm then use as a base when designing their SoCs.

I will take accountability for me saying LDAC / aptX aren’t on on most phones, and I’m sorry for saying that.

But Apple is a chip leader when it comes to SoC design, and this has been proven time and time again where people have noticed Apple’s A-series chips outperforming equivalent snapdragon chips. You can ask anyone in the chip industry and they will agree that Apple designs some stellar SoCs, including the A and M series. It’s unfair to Apple to criticize their SoC design team when there is literal evidence to prove that Apple is one of the best companies when it comes to chip / SoC design.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #86 of 102
Just like another before that about Amazon Music HD being bit-perfect.
For the record, that’s what I was thinking because Amazon Music does the exact same thing TIDAL does where it enables WASAPI exclusive mode. I EQ my headphones to give them a bassier sound, and whenever I enable exclusive mode on Amazon Music or TIDAL, I always notice that my EQ stopped working, indicating that the application has taken full control of the audio device. However, it could be that Amazon Music does enter exclusive mode but doesn’t automatically update the bit format when the song changes, in which case, yeah, that does need to be fixed.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #87 of 102
2. On your further points regarding AptX / LDAC, aptX is a Qualcomm exclusive technology from what I’m aware of. I’ve only ever seen decoders for aptX codecs in their own Snapdragon SoCs - even Windows is unable to decide AptX or LDAC, so it’s not even an Apple issue, it’s a Qualcomm and Sony issue. From what I’m additionally aware of, LDAC is an incredibly expensive technology to license which is why it’s typically only available in Sony’s own headphones or high end Bluetooth headphones where the manufacturer can warrant paying the licensing fee for the technology.

AptX and AptxHD are on Pixel 6 & 7 phones which use Google's own SOC built by Samsung. Not Qualcomm.

They also support LDAC btw. It's on apple for not supporting more codecs. I admire some of their hardware and software, I have no interest in being stuck in that ecosystem, but I do respect some of their stuff. But don't respect a lot of other things with their walled garden approach. But yeah, they suck with audio codecs.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #88 of 102
When was the last time you've checked it?
Anything I could think of from my listening repertoire is there. What genres are you listening?

And BTW, "everything" in the post meant lossless and bitperfect, not like I find its current library offering lacking, just clarification.
Fully agree with your thoughts. I rarely (ever?) am unable to find a song or album I'm interested in on Qobuz. Had Tidal first, but was underwhelmed with MQA. I like that both Tidal and Qobuz are integrated into Roon. I won't be venturing into Apple Music or Spotify until they are integrated as well.

Just saying.....:beerchug:

Leo

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #89 of 102
This video was outdated from the outset, and didn’t take into account that windows has a separate Apple Music app that does support lossless playback. The only reason android doesn’t have full support for lossless is not Apple’s fault but rather Android’s for not supporting higher bit depths out of the box, which is what I already said in another rep
The walled-garden observation about crapple was made decades ago. The main issue is that they control what gets on to *your* crapple devices and limit *your* choices. The whole "jailbreak" idea was because crapple users couldn't install what they wanted, they had to find something to buy from crapple.

The fanboyism and fanatics and technoblindness regarding high price/lack of function/lack of performance are completely secondary.
The walled-garden observation about crapple was made decades ago. The main issue is that they control what gets on to *your* crapple devices and limit *your* choices. The whole "jailbreak" idea was because crapple users couldn't install what they wanted, they had to find something to buy from crapple.

The fanboyism and fanatics and technoblindness regarding high price/lack of function/lack of performance are completely secondary.
Yes, like I said, they're cheap bastards and don't want to pay to license fee for the better tech, yet can't develop a comparable level of tech. Trying to reword what I said to make apple appear in a better light doesn't change the facts.

Don't pretend to know things you don't know. Every single android phone I've owned in about the last 6 years supported ldac. Name one thats available today that doesn't have ldac or aptx support.

aac is a very old FREE tech yes. Its very limited. Looks like you're reaching for an excuse. LDAC and apt x isn't mature or common? Nah wrong on both counts. (They're also lower latency as well). Is it as mature or common as the lightning plug?

Bluetooth-codec-transfer-rate-comparison.png

And don't try to twist my words, I never said they don't design their own hardware, I said they don't MANUFACTURE their own hardware. Never said anything about nvidia, amd or any other company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "designs their own silicon". Is it in reference to SoCs? If thats the case, most other companies like the ones you mentioned also "design their own silicon". I got news for you, all the other companies you mentioned also have "entire divisions dedicated to silicon research" and probably spend more money on R&D than apple for these chips. They're better at it and make a superior product too. Theres a reason why theres no m1 chip for PCs...

Or if you're referring to the fabrication process, no apple has no hand or R&D in that. They don't tell TSMC, "heres the design for the 3nm fabrication process for the new m1 chip". TSMC owns the patent and design for that. They are the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing company in the world, thats why apple, nvidia, amd, etc pays them to make the chips. If they or any other company could do it themselves, I'm sure they would.

This is way over your head.

Knowing about marketing and falling for it are two different things. Like this statement, "iPhones have always performed better than all Android phones out today in raw power & typical day to day usage". This is completely incorrect and blind faith in marketing. They got you good.
Wow! Wouldn't want to be sitting next to you at a bar after you've had a couple..... No need to get personal....

Leo

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #90 of 102
@Luckyleo you quoted three posts, one twice just for good measure :D

I feel honored :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back