Spotify lossless ... will it ever happen?
Jan 25, 2023 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

zlayde

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it all. I remember it was imminent and kind of announced then nothing. Is there a timeline? Will it ever happen?

I'm on Apple Music and it's good. But the recommendations are not great.

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 102
Doubt it will be anytime soon if it does happen.

They can't even get the windows player to work properly.

"60% of the time, it works every time" - Spotify Developers

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 102
I finished “The Playlist” the other day and thought I wonder if the Lossless holdup is due to Ek’s desire for instantly starting music as that was a sticking point in the docu-drama? I’m not sure if that portrayal is true, but lossless def has more delay to start the song on Qobuz than Spotify. Files are obviously bigger so maybe that’s the holdup. Ek wants the experience to be perfect.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 102
I finished “The Playlist” the other day and thought I wonder if the Lossless holdup is due to Ek’s desire for instantly starting music as that was a sticking point in the docu-drama? I’m not sure if that portrayal is true, but lossless def has more delay to start the song on Qobuz than Spotify. Files are obviously bigger so maybe that’s the holdup. Ek wants the experience to be perfect.
The latest I read is that it's too hard to work out licensing agreements all over the world so no, we're not gonna do this after all.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 102
My guess is they did the research and: most people just don't care. How important is lossless if 99% of the world is using hardware that won't make it shine AND on bluetooth?

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 102
imo people should just switch to qobuz/tidal/amazon/apple if they want highres/cdquality, i think spotify makes a mistake with waiting to offer cd quality (and they also announced cd quality only while there are a few highres offers already..) they just lose customers to this, yea "mainstream" people probably stick with spotify but i can only think of one reason for spotify to not offer it... its bandwidth/datausage they try to save

the only benefit in spotify i see is that it has probably the biggest library of all and the UI is arguably kinda nice but im happy to sacrifice this for better audioquality.... which kinda matters the most (to me)

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 102
I guess most of spotify's "subscribers" use the free plan, don't care about ads, and use it at work to drown out managers. Basically the A.M. radio of the new millenium. All the people under 30 in our office seem to have it playing on headphones from their work laptops.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 102
The one issue I have with Tidal is that you can't play to Sonos straight from the Tidal app. I mean the feature is there, it just doesn't work. Also it's annoying Android doesn't recognize it as an official music player so you can say 'play music' and it will just launch Tidal.

As soon as they fix that I will switch back to Tidal.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 102
I guess most of spotify's "subscribers" use the free plan, don't care about ads, and use it at work to drown out managers. Basically the A.M. radio of the new millenium. All the people under 30 in our office seem to have it playing on headphones from their work laptops.
They also have the largest library.

Its not bad but the windows player literally never works properly.

And a couple weeks ago, someone deleted my work playlist which had about 8000 tracks in it.

barbarian.gif

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 102
The latest I read is that it's too hard to work out licensing agreements all over the world
Sure, there’s the cost/time to arrange the licensing agreements, plus the cost/time to actually get and store lossless titles.
My guess is they did the research and: most people just don't care. How important is lossless if 99% of the world is using hardware that won't make it shine …
And it’s even less important as 100% of the world is using hardware that won’t make it shine.

So it comes down to a fairly simple equation; how much will the licensing, extra storage, bandwidth and implementation cost, verses how many customers will they loose due to being exposed to and believing the false marketing that lossless makes an audible difference?

Obviously, that’s a moving target because as more of their competitors provide lossless or even “hi-res”, there will be more of that marketing.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back