Spotify lossless ... will it ever happen?
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 102
At this point I feel like if it happens its going to be a bastardized MQA "hifi" only
No way to know for sure but at this point I think it’s unlikely. MQA was well marketed to start with and for a while the audiophile community swallowed it but somewhat unusually, many audiophiles seem to be coming round to the actual facts; that it has technical deficiencies and that it’s not actually lossless.

The fact that it would cost Spotify, not only to create a whole bunch of MQA titles but also to licence it in the first place, plus the fact above, that there’s not much, if any, marketing advantage (and therefore MQA looks like it will probably be “dead in the water”), then it doesn’t seem to present much/any of a positive “cost to benefit ratio”.

G

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 102
I just want the same HiFi lossless level Tidal has. I don't need saying more.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 102
I just want the same HiFi lossless level Tidal has. I don't need saying more.
Deezer Hifi has lossless and bitperfect over Bluesound streamers but the desktop app is not bitperfect.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 102
Rogan is only on Spotify, and like it or not he talks to very interesting people.
For Rogans Podcast hifi quality doesn't really matter though.
I'd argue it's just as enjoyable in lossy 320kbps.

Personally I use both Tidal and Spotify.
Tidal for when I want to enjoy music, Spotify fir when I'm on the go or look for really niche Video game Soundtracks.

Tidal did improve a lot on the soundtrack front tho

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #22 of 102
They also have the largest library.

Its not bad but the windows player literally never works properly.

And a couple weeks ago, someone deleted my work playlist which had about 8000 tracks in it.

barbarian.gif
You can restore the playlist by going into your account settings and then clicking restore playlists in the left sidebar if the playlist was in your account 😊 I believe Spotify saves all deleted playlists for several months before they fully delete them from their servers.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 102
No it doesn't have everything. Even less than Tidal and Deezer.
This is true - Apple Music and Spotify have the largest audio libraries, with some minor differences between the two when it comes to track availability. I believe Tidal is in third place with regards to library size. Both Apple Music and Spotify advertise having over 100 million songs in their catalogues though.

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 102
No it doesn't have everything. Even less content than Tidal and Deezer.
When was the last time you've checked it?
Anything I could think of from my listening repertoire is there. What genres are you listening?

And BTW, "everything" in the post meant lossless and bitperfect, not like I find its current library offering lacking, just clarification.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 102
Both Apple Music and Spotify advertise having over 100 million songs in their catalogues though.
So does Qobuz. But again, they might have more representation in different genres.

1676763000984.png

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 102
So does Qobuz. But again, they might have more representation in different genres.
Ah okay! Seems 100 million is becoming a pretty universal number across all the different streaming services now then with the exceptions of Deezer and Tidal which still advertise 90+ million.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 102
I'd love to leave Spotify and give Tidal My only subscription.

But the Spotify app is really good I can seamlessly transfer from playlists from my computer to playing on my phone to playing on Sonos, I can control the Sonos playlist from the PC app as well as on my phone. Sonos is not work with the title app you have to use the Sonos app which is not as good.

Spotify is a more robust featured platform unfortunately. I hope tidal starts to catch up a little more and then I can be done with Spotify for good.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 102
I'd love to leave Spotify and give Tidal My only subscription.

But the Spotify app is really good I can seamlessly transfer from playlists from my computer to playing on my phone to playing on Sonos, I can control the Sonos playlist from the PC app as well as on my phone. Sonos is not work with the title app you have to use the Sonos app which is not as good.

Spotify is a more robust featured platform unfortunately. I hope tidal starts to catch up a little more and then I can be done with Spotify for good.
Apple Music is the better platform than TIDAL to me IMO because Apple Music doesn't lock down their highest bitrate files to an unpopular standard (MQA in the case of TIDAL) and it works seamlessly with AirPlay devices like audio receivers, speakers, and in general anything that works with AirPlay. It's kinda like Spotify Connect, but sadly exclusive to Apple devices or devices by businesses that enter into partnerships with Apple to include support for AirPlay 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back