Spotify lossless ... will it ever happen?
Feb 19, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #31 of 102
Apple - lossless limited to Apple devices, PC or Android are lossy.
Tidal - lossy MQA encoding for high res requiring DAC with support for this format to get that last "unfolding" step. Finicky port requirements blocked by most corporate IT firewalls.
Amazon HD - no bitperfect output, plus SQ is subpar when comparing to original ripped CDs or Qobuz.
Deezer - mix of mp3 and flac (last time I've used it there wasn't indication which format you are getting), no high res.

That pretty much leaves only Qobuz, lossless FLAC for all bitrates, bitperfect (exclusive WASAPI, ASIO), with lossless support for all platforms. Plus the only one on the list you can buy lossless albums from.

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 102
Apple - lossless limited to Apple devices, PC or Android are lossy.
Tidal - lossy MQA encoding for high res requiring DAC with support for this format to get that last "unfolding" step. Finicky port requirements blocked by most corporate IT firewalls.
Amazon HD - no bitperfect output, plus SQ is subpar when comparing to original ripped CDs or Qobuz.
Deezer - mix of mp3 and flac (last time I've used it there wasn't indication which format you are getting), no high res.

That pretty much leaves only Qobuz, lossless FLAC for all bitrates, bitperfect (exclusive WASAPI, ASIO), with lossless support for all platforms. Plus the only one on the list you can buy lossless albums from.
Just wanted to correct you on your Apple Music points: AM does support lossless on PC and Android. PC with the new Apple Music app that Apple released in January if you're running Windows 11, and Android just works as I've played back lossless files through the Apple Music app on Android before. However, due to a limitation set by the Android OS itself, the max bit depth that can be decoded is 24-bit 48kHz, unless your media player of choice has bypassed that limitation and went with their own audio stack.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #33 of 102
Qobuz is not offered in most countries so it's not an option for many people.

Surprising to see apple fans complaining about MQA. Apple is the world's leader of walled-gardens, (dumb) proprietary codecs, etc. even surpassing Sony. Just appalling...

Deezer, Scamazon do have bitperfect but not over the apps.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #34 of 102
Apple Music is the better platform than TIDAL to me IMO because Apple Music doesn't lock down their highest bitrate files to an unpopular standard (MQA in the case of TIDAL) and it works seamlessly with AirPlay devices like audio receivers, speakers, and in general anything that works with AirPlay. It's kinda like Spotify Connect, but sadly exclusive to Apple devices or devices by businesses that enter into partnerships with Apple to include support for AirPlay 2.
Apple restricts lossless or bitperfect play to only Apple devices. That and more things are real dick moves that I wont support!

You can watch it on

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #35 of 102
Apple restricts lossless or bitperfect play to only Apple devices. That and more things are real dick moves that I wont support!

You can watch it on

This video was outdated from the outset, and didn’t take into account that windows has a separate Apple Music app that does support lossless playback. The only reason android doesn’t have full support for lossless is not Apple’s fault but rather Android’s for not supporting higher bit depths out of the box, which is what I already said in another reply.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #36 of 102
This video was outdated from the outset, and didn’t take into account that windows has a separate Apple Music app that does support lossless playback. The only reason android doesn’t have full support for lossless is not Apple’s fault but rather Android’s for not supporting higher bit depths out of the box, which is what I already said in another reply.
I'm using Linux, so the Webapp is mostly needed. Does it support Linux well? No?

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #37 of 102
I'm using Linux, so the Webapp is mostly needed. Does it support Linux well? No?
Webplayers for streaming services will never support lossless properly, due to limitations of the browser. If you want proper support, Linux sadly isn’t a valid option due to most streaming services lacking dedicated client support for it, presumably due to its low market share. Even tidal’s web player doesn’t properly support it, but they lock down their high fidelity files under MQA anyways.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #38 of 102
Webplayers for streaming services will never support lossless properly, due to limitations of the browser. If you want proper support, Linux sadly isn’t a valid option due to most streaming services lacking dedicated client support for it, presumably due to its low market share. Even tidal’s web player doesn’t properly support it, but they lock down their high fidelity files under MQA anyways.
Do you know Strawberry Music Player? It supports Tidal and Qobuz through API. Only Spotify is developing its own native App for Linux.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #39 of 102
Just wanted to correct you on your Apple Music points: AM does support lossless on PC and Android. PC with the new Apple Music app that Apple released in January if you're running Windows 11, and Android just works as I've played back lossless files through the Apple Music app on Android before. However, due to a limitation set by the Android OS itself, the max bit depth that can be decoded is 24-bit 48kHz, unless your media player of choice has bypassed that limitation and went with their own audio stack.
Didn't know that, do you have any links to that info. iTunes didn't support it when I was checking it out, and official statement on Apple site was that it's Apple only, is there some new app?

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #40 of 102
The one issue I have with Tidal is that you can't play to Sonos straight from the Tidal app. I mean the feature is there, it just doesn't work. Also it's annoying Android doesn't recognize it as an official music player so you can say 'play music' and it will just launch Tidal.

As soon as they fix that I will switch back to Tidal.

This more an android than a Tidal issue. It works flawlessly since day one from iOS devices to Sonos.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #41 of 102
Qobuz is not offered in most countries so it's not an option for many people.

Surprising to see apple fans complaining about MQA. Apple is the world's leader of walled-gardens, (dumb) proprietary codecs, etc. even surpassing Sony. Just appalling...

Deezer, Scamazon do have bitperfect but not over the apps.
Not sure about "most", but yes, not every country under the sun (not like the same does not apply to any streaming service), 25 at the moment, here's the list , from what I've read people go around this with vpn.
Open in France since 2007, Qobuz extended its reach in 2014 to eight European countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands then, in 2017, in Spain and Italy.[17]

In 2018, Qobuz was active in eleven countries. In 2019, Qobuz opened its subsidiary in the United States.[18]

On April 15, 2021, Qobuz made its streaming and downloading offers available in six new countries: Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Australia and New Zealand.[19]

On May 4th, 2022, Qobuz, continues its global expansion with the opening of its service in six new countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Chile and, in Europe, Portugal. [20]

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #42 of 102
Didn't know that, do you have any links to that info. iTunes didn't support it when I was checking it out, and official statement on Apple site was that it's Apple only, is there some new app?
Found discussion on ASR forum, so far no exclusive or bit perfect mode on Windows, might end up just like Amazon HD.
And on Android Tidal and Qobuz can be had bitperfect via UAPP, not sure if Apple will publish their SDK for 3rd parties use.

Feb 20, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 102
Found discussion on ASR forum, so far no exclusive or bit perfect mode on Windows, might end up just like Amazon HD.
And on Android Tidal and Qobuz can be had bitperfect via UAPP, not sure if Apple will publish their SDK for 3rd parties use.
Amazon Music does support exclusive mode, therefore it supports bitperfect audio, as shown below:
1676870583039.png

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #44 of 102
Amazon Music is ok, I did a trial but it does not support Chromecast nor Roon or should I say Roon does not support those.

Talk about Spotify Hifi has been going on for 3 or so years. I don't care anymore.

I use both Tidal and Quobuz, suits me.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #45 of 102
Amazon Music does support exclusive mode, therefore it supports bitperfect audio, as shown below:
Sorry, it's not, their "exclusive" is just blocking other system sounds and maxing out in app volume, it's still shared or whatever you call it mode as picking up bitrate set in Control Panel, definitely not bit-perfect.
And it sounds shrilling sharp and flat comparing to same tracks in Qobuz which has more holographic and analog quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back