My name is Ed, and I am a Night Owl / Insomniac.
Feb 12, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #91 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Heh, but I have considered power-napping. Apparently you can go to places in NYC and others where you can pay to take a quick snooze in one of these: http://www.metronaps.com/

From this website....

"MetroNaps pods* feature Bose® QuietComfort 2® Noise Cancelling® headphones."

I think that will be nightmare inducing
biggrin.gif
Can I bring my own headphones?

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #92 of 239
Those who are flush with free time, Ed, will have discerned that the majority of my weekday posts are written between two and ten a.m. In terms of timeshares, I've always preferred to rent on the duskside of cities. Let queues and construction workers inhabit noon's real estate.

I still jizz at the sight of black cars glinting like scarab shells under fluorescent streetlamps. A row vanishing in perspective makes me feel galvanized, circuit-extended to some nocturnal narrative's current.

Pity my half of the 24-hour society has closed so many shops in the past five years. The Portly Pippin's nightvine withered after club culture's drought. I do miss meeting the occasional friend or foontess for drinks at some tiny and illicit mob speakeasy at five a.m. Before gentrification, whole castes of the marginal revived during crepuscular hours.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #93 of 239
I think NYC has LA beat as far as number of open places at night.

Everything is solar powered here. So many morning people. Pretty much everything starts closing down at around 8pm.

I have a cold now, so I just took from NyQuil, and oy, it's starting to take effect. I can breath through my nostrils now, but it's getting hard to concentrate. Feeling kind of dizzy....

-Ed

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #94 of 239
Hi Ed,
My name is Tim(twc5964) and I am a SEVERE nightowl/insomniac as well......it quite honestly sucks,however,my internal chemistry has always been this way. No matter what I do or what I try,I'm still cursed with paramount insomnia. I'm wide open for suggestions to remedy this problem.....working 2nd shift hours for years and years does'nt help either.

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #95 of 239
For the past 5 or 6 years, I cannot think of a single time that I have fallen asleep before midnight. I've tried boycotting caffeine and sugar, reading, watching nothing but horrible movies on cable (I somehow managed to sit through all of the Punisher, Kazaam, and Drop Dead Fred in the last week alone), everything. And somehow, I managed to pull off falling asleep at 1 AM and waking up at 6 AM for high school, 5 days a week, without falling asleep in class once.

In the past week, I've gotten pretty bad. I've been staying up until 3 AM (outside of the one night I watched American History X until 4:30) and waking up at noon. I'm really not sure why this started, but I'm quite enjoying this sleep schedule, so I'm tossing around the idea of trying to stick to it. Mornings are overrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
http://www.howtofoldashirt.net/

Is it bad when you see that and think to yourself, "wow, I should go try that right now"?

Feb 12, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #96 of 239
5:07am and wide awake here... wondering when yesterday is going to end and today is going to begin, or whether the two will blur together and I'll find my sleep a most inappropriate time in Church.

Feb 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #97 of 239
I'm just returning from a stroll which began at around 5:30 a.m. The sky flickers and lightning sounds:-- a blizzard is a battlefield without soldiers. Exhilarating, to feel hard snow assail one's face, to gaze at the blunted silverpale edges of fossilized brownstones which, if revealed, would prove as grimed and detailed in their horrors as magnified termites.

The shapes of occasional strangers, too, seem vague and pixelated from a distance; they're obscured by snowfall, made ovaline by bulbous jackets. Like astronauts, they step carefully into each other's footprints, which become stylized crescents, then cartoon ghost eyes, before vanishing moments later. It's as if Jonathan Ive had launched an aesthetic conspiracy with Christo to make urban decay appear simple, nurse-white and clean.

I decide to venture home after the sky begins to lighten. The Others are coming, you see, to distract me from solitude. When I reach my building's threshold, I can find no previous footprints. For the moment, I'm the only one who lives there, who observes the sky's gunfire flicker and is amused when paste-pullover-capped garbage cans founder and totter in the wind, offering me precious gifts of filth. I'm the only one here who is conscious of my arrival.

[Edit: I've decided to repeat this post in a thread about the snow.]

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #99 of 239
class at 1, bedtime at about 4am. I just don't like daytime i guess, heh. I love taking walks/bike rides at 4-5am sometimes. waffle house is another favorite with fellow dorm-insomniacs.

I can get 6 hours of sleep, and feel terrible. 8 hours of sleep, and feel terrible. 13 hours, and feel horrible. I'm still ready for a nap 2 hours after getting up.

Even alcohol doesn't help much. 3/4 bottle of jack in one night, threw up, passed out, woke up 3 hours later and stayed up till 3 that night. ambien is a different story though. that stuff makes me pretty silly if I don't go to bed.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #100 of 239
Ugh. I've had a cold for the last three days. I can't breathe out of my nostrils.

I took some NyQuil, and it's making me woozy and dizzy, but I still can't breathe through my nose when I lie down.

How ironic, for once I try to go to bed early, and I can't sleep because of sinuses.

And the irony does not stop there.
It was actually a hot day here. Hot enough to have to use the air conditioning for a bit. I guess the lack of cold weather has spoiled my body and weakened my normally tough immune system.

Ah well, I'll get a chance to experience some cooler weather when I visit the midwest for my Dad's birthday, and the Cincy Head-Fi meet.

-Ed

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #101 of 239
if i could take a pill so that i wouldn't have to sleep, i'd take it. sleep typically takes up one third of a day, time which i could spend doing something productive other than lying on my bed. there are times when sleep is a welcome activity and those times are during business trips.

i'm on a business trip in asia right now and the mix of jet lag and fatigue from working all day keeps me awake at night. i know i have to sleep to be alert the next day. i'm tired enough to fall asleep immediately if i were at home but being on the road, sleep continues to elude me. sipping coffee all day helps but my brain still can't function correctly.

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #102 of 239
The clock has struck 5 AM, and I haven't given sleep any serious consideration. Instead, I'm going to rip a few CDs, write a bit (just for the sake of writing), and possibly watch Hotel Rwanda. If I'm lucky, I might end up watching the sun rise for the first time in about 2 years.

It's kind of sad when that I'm more productive at 5 in the morning (after 10 hours at work, to top it off) than at any other time of day.

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #105 of 239
I am but I've been trying to fix it. I am one of the lucky few to be both, but I much prefer to go to get on time and wake up early in the morning, especially because I have 10 oclock classes. Despite this I find myself staying up often to 2am when I meant to go to bed much earlier. On the weekends, usually 4 pm is my cutoff. Not tonight I guess. It also doesn't help that I can distract myself for hours on end pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back