My name is Ed, and I am a Night Owl / Insomniac.
Dec 18, 2005 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 239

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
<everyone> "Hi, Ed!"

Call it what you will, but for all the frequent posters here, you have probably notice that I post here into the wee hours of the morning.

I don't know why, but I just simply find myself staying up until 4-6am. I can't begin to count the number of times I've found myself saying, "S**t! The suns starting to come up, I better get to bed!"

I guess since I work at home and am self-employed, I have to option to, but my wife is not a night owl, she is a morning person. (oh joy). So perhaps it is because it is the only time I am actually alone to listen to music with nearly zero noise. Even though my wife does not like my staying up late, I think she enjoys her personal time in the early morning.

But I have always been a Night Owl.
[size=xx-small]o rly?
ya rly.
[/size]

I don't know why, but I am also the most creative at night. If I go to bed early, I find myself thinking up crazy ideas or solutions to problems, and then I have to get up and sketch/write down my ideas before I forget them.

So any other Night Owls here? (wish I could make a poll, it's not working today.)
And is it because of general insomnia, or just find yourself staying up. For the most part, I just find myself staying up, I lose track of time, and before I know it, it's like 5 in the morning.

The internet (and Head-fi) is primarily to blame for my staying up really late these days.

-Ed

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 239
nyuk nyuk nyuk. Yeah I'm still up but I don't surf head-fi much at these hours only because not many other people are on and I've probably read everything already
tongue.gif
I'm also 3 hours ahead of you making it 7:30AM now
eek.gif

Are you still up?
biggrin.gif
*testing 1, 2, 3*

Dec 18, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
nyuk nyuk nyuk. Yeah I'm still up but I don't surf head-fi much at these hours only because not many other people are on and I've probably read everything already
tongue.gif
I'm also 3 hours ahead of you making it 7:30AM now
eek.gif

Are you still up?
biggrin.gif
*testing 1, 2, 3*

Yeah, I'm still up. Probably time for me to go to sleep, before the sun starts rising.

LOL, well, NYC is the city that never sleeps, right?

I would be out and about if it were not for the fact that nothing is open! I guess SoCal is solar powered after all.

-Ed

Dec 18, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 239
yeah im a night owl. Have been for some time.

Hate the mornings and am glad to sleep through them, and work seems to usually roster me on in the late afternoon-evening, so im used to getting up at 1-2pm, going to work, comin home and being up until 4-6AM myself.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 239
I'm not... well I am, but not right now since it's only five minutes past three in the afternoon. And I'm working on a rather large paper (deadline in Tuesday). Naturally, I browse Head-fi
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 239
Ever since finals week I've been staying up really late, like 6-7 am. (West Coast) I've always been a night owl though. Hell when I was like 13, I'd stay up until 2-3am watching Conan in the summer. I don't think I've regularly gone to bed before midnight in 5 years at least. Even this summer, when I was taking classes at 8am-12:30, I'd always sleep 4 hours when I got home and then another 4 from 2-6am.

There are a lot of factors that keep me up in the wee hours. First of all, I just don't like going to bed when I should, ever. Maybe its the procrastinator in me. (it would be interesting to see how many people that procrastinate stay up late.) Another factor is my job, I usually work until 11-11:30 every night now. There's also the fact that I have really grown a liking to reading forums, news, and reviews online and I generally don't do those things as much during the day. In the day when I'm not working or going to school, I usually like to play games online. Thats when the majority of people are on. I could probably name off a hundred other things, but I just realized its like 6am.
rolleyes.gif
I have to leave for work in like 6 hours so I should go to sleep.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 239
When I was younger I had odd sleeping habits and caught sleep here and there when I could. Now I have settled into a routine getting roughly 8 hours a night but I still wake up fairly early.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 239
A night owl here, too. I do try to go to bed early(i.e., by 2am), though, since I have get up in the morning and teach. The best part for me is that I usually wake up in 4 hours once I go to sleep (while waking up multiple times during the sleep). I love my annoying sleeping habit.

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 239
Morning paperboy in my youth, I got used to waking up to deliver papers at 0430...Fast forward to college (Academy) days, and 0500 was SOP...Then In Merchant ships, the junior Officers get two watches a day at 12 - 4, or 4 - 8, so sleep is messed up...then the last ten years or so of my working career was worked from 1600 hours to 0800 hours, three or four days a week.

Now two years retired, my sleep schedule has become sort of steady - I fall over anywhere between 2030 to about 2230 hours, and typically wake up around 0330 hours, and nothing I do gets me off those hours! Weird, eh?

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 239
I've always been a night owl, and still am today. I think that there is something to the notion of needing some quiet "me" time. It's when I do most of my listening (at least my critical listening), and I also enjoy the occasional late movie and/or surfing the net.

I used to get up on Sunday mornings, read the paper, and listen to classical music (the good old K240M's with the NAD headphone jack
biggrin.gif
). My wife always had a tough time with that, as she couldn't understand why I wanted to spend time away from her. I think that once she started work (she was in grad school back in the day), she's learned to appreciate it as well.

Aside from that, I've always been one to pick up steam as the day goes on. That is, unless I've been up since 4:00 AM or something crazy like that. It seems that my sleep patterns are like my taste in music: all over the map.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 239
I love the night. I'm usually up till 4am, which sucks since I have to get up at 8am. I've been one for the part 5 years. There was a period last year where I was going to bed at 6 am and waking up at 8am, thankfully that only lasted for 2-3 weeks, it's hell on the body.
I love the summer though, I rarely ever see the Sun
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh yeah, I too sometimes find myself reading head-fi until 6 am, this board is to addictive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back