My name is Ed, and I am a Night Owl / Insomniac.
Dec 19, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #31 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
but with the aid of redbull, monster, and bawls I make it through the school day

Try the Hansen Energy Pro (it's a bright green can).

Ed, you already know I'm a night owl. For me, it has to do with the late night being the only time I get to myself. Cutting into sleep lets me explore my interests. Combine that with stress, habit, and a bit of insomnia and I'm up until at least 1am every night and more often then not I find myself looking at the clock cursing the fact that it's 3am. It doesn't help that I worked the evening shift in retail stores for 7-8 years...

Regarding the creativity thing... I think the brain releases certain chemicals when you're really tired but not falling asleep that create this creative and euphoric state... I've come by this conclusion from all of the really interesting conversations I've had with friends over the years that seem to get better the more you cut into the wee hours of the night/early morning. LOL, you might ask Peter about the conversations we've had that last until 5am or so... I've also done much of my best writing after severe lack of sleep...

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #32 of 239
Holy cow! It's so great to see that there are so many of us imsomniacs out there. I thought that it was just me going slowly insane while the rest of the world slept peacefully away. I usually go running in the park in front of my house around 4 am and then crash around 6 am. This being NYC, there are lots of people walking home from clubs and sometimes other runners out as well.

I have a friend who wakes up around 6m every day to go running and I'll call him now and then to say hi before I crash. Pretty weird sleep cycle if you think about it but I hate the idea of missing out on all the stuff that I can do while I'm awake!

The down side to this is that I'm always getting sick from lack of sleep.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #33 of 239
Well, its about three am here
eek.gif

Ill give the green stuff a try jasper, is it available stateside or is it an Europian thing? if you have a link to a website that carries it feel free to post it or PM me
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #34 of 239
I work at home as well and I'm a nite owl and have been since high school/college... I find it easier to focus when it's quiet at night. I sometimes try to work during the day, and if a deadline is pressing, I will - I might even keep it up for awhile, but, always end up reverting to working at night. Most often I work at night... quite often I'm forced to do so because of overnight deadlines.

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #35 of 239
Another night owl, I am this way because it's alot more peaceful at night for me. At university I usually study from 6pm-12pm at the library, come home and go to bed around 4-5am (after listening to the cans for a few hrs)

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #37 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
Well, its about three am here
eek.gif

Ill give the green stuff a try jasper, is it available stateside or is it an Europian thing? if you have a link to a website that carries it feel free to post it or PM me
icon10.gif

I have no idea if it's available in Europe... I live in SoCal... They definitley have it in California, Oregon, and Washington!
biggrin.gif
They used to only be available in the small size but recently I've seen the double size as well. They're the only ones that really give me any more of a boost than just straight caffeine.

http://www.hansensenergy.com/

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #39 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Regarding the creativity thing... I think the brain releases certain chemicals when you're really tired but not falling asleep that create this creative and euphoric state...

I used to have those experiences in the middle of the night long, long ago. Why long, long ago? Because I stopped putting stock in them back then when I realized I only thought they were brilliant ideas. In the light of day, they weren't nearly as great.
frown.gif
All they did was keep sleep away.

Maybe someone else's brilliance is more lasting.

Well I'm up for the day and was asleep in 5 minutes last night.
icon10.gif

Tuesday I plan to do the night owl.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #40 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I used to have those experiences in the middle of the night long, long ago. Why long, long ago? Because I stopped putting stock in them back then when I realized I only thought they were brilliant ideas. In the light of day, they weren't nearly as great.
frown.gif
All they did was keep sleep away.

Maybe someone else's brilliance is more lasting.

Well I'm up for the day and was asleep in 5 minutes last night.
icon10.gif

Tuesday I plan to do the night owl.

Well see though, that's the point... Being in this state allows you to think in ways that you wouldn't normally. Hence, I called it creative and euphoric, perhaps I should have used an "or" rather than an "and", or maybe a "and/or"... the euphoria I was refering to included those instances where an idea sounds great at the time but upon reflection after sleep, said idea becomes silly. I still hold that some of my best writing (for term papers and such) comes as a result of sleep deprivation.

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 239
Quote:

I still hold that some of my best writing (for term papers and such) comes as a result of sleep deprivation.

I think it's related to inhibition, and sometimes focus more than creativity. I've noticed that the level of inhibition, or lack of, plays a huge role in my social public performance. That's no revelation there but I find it interesting how that extends to the creativity of my thoughts and verbal responses. A little uptight and I'm closed down mentally; it's not that the witty or thoughtful reply is there but I don't share it, it's that the witty or thoughtful reply is simply not there! When feeling comfortable and loose, I'm an unstoppable (budget) Oscar Wilde.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #43 of 239
Quote:

Try the Hansen Energy Pro (it's a bright green can).

I try to stay away from those "Energy Drinks". They have too much sugar, and the caffiene and other stuff like taurine, just aggravate my tinnitus.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back