iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #46 of 276
Woohoo!! I just picked up my iPad 3 after a 2.5 hr line up outside their Ginza store in Tokyo. I'm typing is now from my new iPad. Penty fast after my aging iPad 1.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #48 of 276

Quote:
I've been at a few people's house that have a 55" in a room where you're sitting 5 feet away from the TV, and wonder how they don't notice that it looks like crap. From a distance, it wouldn't though. My living room has a 46" which, even then, may be slightly too big, but it's much more practical for how small my living room is. I've had a few guests ask why we didn't get a bigger one, and I just silently facepalm.

THX Recommended seating distance from a 55'' display is about 6', i sit 5' away from a 55''. Mostly people point out how people sit TOO FAR from their displays that resolution doesn't even matter, not too close.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #49 of 276
Since this is a Head-Fi forum, I thought I may post some very preliminary opinions on the iPad 3 SQ.

This is in comparison to the iPad 1. My headphones used here are the Ultrasone Edition 8 LE's straight out of the headphone jack. And my test albums are Phantom of the Opera (256kbps/44.1kHz), and Open Your Ears (varying bitrates/48kHz). Points are in no particular order :-

1. iPad 3 needs a notch louder to match the iPad 1
  2. iPad 3 has a slight edge on detail and clarity
  3. iPad 3 has somewhat slightly more sibilance (but not necessarily in a bad way - words seem to be pronounced with an edge of clarity)
  4. iPad 3 has ever so slightly wider soundstage

Still though, no where near where the CLAS in terms of detail or analytical/dryness.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #50 of 276
AnakChan, thanks for the very preliminary opinions on the new iPad's sound quality.

My 64GB+4G iPad should be arriving today. I went with black, which worked out very well for me with my iPad 1, my iPhones, and my Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display (the black borders seem to disappear).

Coming from an iPad 1, I expect this new one will feel more responsive, faster. I use my iPad mostly for work, but also for movies while flying or in hotels.

I chose AT&T for my iPhone 4S (and also previously with my iPhone 3GS), because of the talk-and-browse-at-the-same-time ability. However, I find AT&T's call quality and network availability far inferior to Verizon's. Almost everyone else I know uses Verizon for their iPhones; and it's very common that even when I have one-bar signal strength, my Verizon-equipped friends are sporting full-bar action. In our favorite movie theater, my AT&T iPhone loses service completely, while my wife's Verizon iPhone has three or four bars there.

For the iPad, where there the talk-and-browse-at-the-same-time does not apply (it's not a phone), I couldn't resist Verizon this time. I was thrilled to find out after I picked Verizon that the Verizon iPads will have Personal Hotspot functionality, which I imagine will be very cool (and fast) with 4G--and it'll allow me to cancel the $20/month I'm now paying for iPhone 4S Personal Hotspot functionality.

Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing the screen, too.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be so busy at work today that I won't have time to get the new iPad work-ready until this weekend, or early next week.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #51 of 276
The best thing about the new iPad - applecare+ 

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #52 of 276
Jude, like you I'm coming from an iPad 1. Oh yes it's much faster & I don't run out of memory (i.e. my apps don't crash :)). Screen quality is excellent & just general performance is also brilliant. I don't have a laptop so this is effectively my portable.

Coverage for most providers in Tokyo is fine but outside, Docomo & AU rules. Sadly though, Apple's partner in Japan is SoftBank. As for download speeds the new iPad's LTE is not supported. Having said that, it's still supports faster standards than the original iPad.

Now to find a decent case that'll protect the back - this is one thing I do like about the old iPad's case. My secret folder for hiding my expensive receipts from the missus :).

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #53 of 276

Quote:
...Now to find a decent case that'll protect the back - this is one thing I do like about the old iPad's case. My secret folder for hiding my expensive receipts from the missus
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL!

Did you get a Smart Cover? I ordered one of those, so if you did, too, and are looking for a good back cover that'll work with it, please let me know if you find anything that you really like (and I'll do the same).

I'm looking to forward to the improved performance, man.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #54 of 276
Have you guys looked at Freitag's F25? iPad 2 case that folds into a stand; might fit the new iPad, given the similarity of the dimensions and the tarpaulin that the F25 is made of.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #55 of 276
I did buy the Smart Cover - Black Leather. I guess I'll be waiting for the Belkin Snap Shield Secure when it comes out as that seems to be Smart Cover compatible.

@ Eric_C, nice one with the Freitag's. That to me looks like more like the iPad 1 case. Pity I already bought the Smart Cover and would be a waste.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #56 of 276
Damn, you guys are just encouraging me to get one now.  I have been tossing up between getting an Air + LTE wireless adaptor, which just came out in Japan. I think though that since I'm so used to doing things away from home with my iPad I may as well just upgrade.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #59 of 276
Sorry, what's "CLAS"?

Quote:
Since this is a Head-Fi forum, I thought I may post some very preliminary opinions on the iPad 3 SQ.

This is in comparison to the iPad 1. My headphones used here are the Ultrasone Edition 8 LE's straight out of the headphone jack. And my test albums are Phantom of the Opera (256kbps/44.1kHz), and Open Your Ears (varying bitrates/48kHz). Points are in no particular order :-

1. iPad 3 needs a notch louder to match the iPad 1
  2. iPad 3 has a slight edge on detail and clarity
  3. iPad 3 has somewhat slightly more sibilance (but not necessarily in a bad way - words seem to be pronounced with an edge of clarity)
  4. iPad 3 has ever so slightly wider soundstage

Still though, no where near where the CLAS in terms of detail or analytical/dryness.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #60 of 276
Been playing with my 64GB one since 8am. The screen is ridiculous. The only problem so far is that so few apps have been updated with Retina-quality assets, but that will get sorted as the days go by. It's my first iPad and it's laaaaaaaaavly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back