iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #76 of 276

Quote:
Likely I would be using it with Windows iTunes. I've heard you can stream it wirelessly off Windows as well as Mac, but I could be wrong. What about files greater than 16/44.1?
If not I could always bump the storage on the iPad to 32 or 64 and just keep my most regularly played stuff on there.

It down converts it to 16/44.1 so I guess red book standards.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #77 of 276
By the way you worded it, I'm guessing it would do that if I was using a Mac also?

Thanks for the help, btw.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #78 of 276

Quote:
By the way you worded it, I'm guessing it would do that if I was using a Mac also?
Thanks for the help, btw.

Yeah of course and then you can stream stuff around the house, from iphone (if you have music on it and it's up to date) to a steroe, from computer to iphone or most things.
and if you have an airport express please note that not only can you send a 16/44.1 CD quality signal(hard to complain when most can't hear difference after this)  to it but it allows for digital optical out(S/PDIF) which allows you to bypass the DAC it has and use your own(think whatever you want) the optical is built into the 3.5mm jack of the airport express(like on a mac) so you would need a mini toslink cable or mini toslink to toslink adpater..just some bonus info as MANY head fi'ers ARE NOT AWARE that this is possible or this even exists..and it also dual functions at the same time as a wireless router(only, no wired unless you get other stuff) printer sharer, hard drive sharer(think local NAS), Wireless extender(takes a current router's wireless signal and let's you use it as an additional access point, many routers don't support this and need to be flashed with tomato or dd wrt to get extention support, but of course extension Access point support is only for other Apple routers) and did I mention it has Wireless N 2.4GHz or 5GHz(cant be both at same time) , Apple Quality and Support, internal Cirrus Logic DAC and amp and is only $100?? Sorry we are on the Apple .....thread so just thought id add this..
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

just thought id add it. it has so many functions for such a small price and hey..i guess it's audiophile purposed as well

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #79 of 276
Apple overload! Careful you might blow a strudel! :D

Hm, so I could store my greater than 16/44.1 on the iPad and stream the rest and have everything at it's best quality without paying for more than a 16 or 32gb iPad.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #80 of 276

Quote:
Apple overload! Careful you might blow a strudel!
biggrin.gif

Hm, so I could store my greater than 16/44.1 on the iPad and stream the rest and have everything at it's best quality without paying for more than a 16 or 32gb iPad.

From what I see, it HAS to down sample. I remember reading that it does but I don't want to straight tell an audiophile that but from info known and what people say (do your own research too as it will give you a good feeling, you know what i mean, don't just go off what we say but im 99% sure)

I did go over..but hey that stuff is true and cheap

you could stream but i have had problems with it..Apple problems? No,...people always want to blame the big dog..anway. it's just coverage and performance problems. places in your house you already know have poorer signal or something, the moment the signal gets poor unless you get back into a good zone, the whole thing will just crash ..well not crash but stop playing, buffer, become useless and all that, so yes you could stream your music(i just did a test with Hotel California which i have in 192KHz 24bit in ALAC on itunes and streamed it to my iphone, no problems here and downsampling is fast) but try not to move arounnd too much or else your mileage might vary, this is more for...a static location and not moving around as i was..i basically just walked around the house with it using it as an ipod..that's a no no as it will cut out, but if you are in a decent place. then this should work for you with good service.

but again, test it out yourself personally frist(im sure you have an iphone or can borrow one) to make sure you can do it, it works well, itunes or something isn't giving you any trouble and all that really. and that test will also show you if it's up to yourstandards..if Airplay makes it sound..weird, if you think it's not bit perfect or anything like that. yeah you have more pro stuff than I so it's all you. but for my equipment, you can strap me to a bed and i will be hard pressed to tell a difference between Airplay and straight from the computer if i used the same amp and heapdhone setup.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #81 of 276
Well I'm positive you can get 24/192 from the iPad directly through a digital dock, so even if streaming hi-res doesn't work I can store my hi-res on the iPad itself. As far as wireless in my house I have no dead pockets since my house is wood framed. I get perfect reception even out in the garage. The iPad and dock of course would be stationary and with my main gear at my computer. I mostly just want a separate, but easy to use transport and interface. The J River Media Center path is certainly cheaper, but I'd give up being able to easily split it off if I need to take it somewhere (meets, etc) and I also lose the touch screen and self contained interface (though the J River interface on the computer would still be quite nice, possibly better than iTunes from reports I've seen). I'd also like to have the option of using the iPad elsewhere in the house if I wanted to read an E-Book or surf the internet from bed or something. I'd only be getting the Wifi version, no data. The plans are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and there are even (very low) limits on the data. I checked a day or so after the iPad 3 keynote.

My boss has 2 3G iPads and 4 iPhones in his family and his monthly cell bill is like $450 a month.... I personally have a Verizon Droid Incredible with no data/text limits and plenty of minutes through a family plan that costs me $40 a month.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #82 of 276

Quote:
Well I'm positive you can get 24/192 from the iPad directly through a digital dock, so even if streaming hi-res doesn't work I can store my hi-res on the iPad itself. As far as wireless in my house I have no dead pockets since my house is wood framed. I get perfect reception even out in the garage. The iPad and dock of course would be stationary and with my main gear at my computer. I mostly just want a separate, but easy to use transport and interface. The J River Media Center path is certainly cheaper, but I'd give up being able to easily split it off if I need to take it somewhere (meets, etc) and I also lose the touch screen and self contained interface (though the J River interface on the computer would still be quite nice, possibly better than iTunes from reports I've seen). I'd also like to have the option of using the iPad elsewhere in the house if I wanted to read an E-Book or surf the internet from bed or something. I'd only be getting the Wifi version, no data. The plans are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and there are even (very low) limits on the data. I checked a day or so after the iPad 3 keynote.
My boss has 2 3G iPads and 4 iPhones in his family and his monthly cell bill is like $450 a month.... I personally have a Verizon Droid Incredible with no data/text limits and plenty of minutes through a family plan that costs me $40 a month.

^ Now we get more into the "audiophile" portion of using an ipad and other things and sadly im not qualified for this as I'm not here myself

$40? wow, but then again my iPhone 4S monthly is around the same as well it has 4G HSPA+ 2GB monthly, unlimited text and pictures and video's and 700 minutes with free mobile to any mobile and no minute use after a certain time..so really it only uses minutes if i call a land line and then i still have roll over........ I don't use my 4S as part of my head fi'ing gear as i would need to turn on airplane mode or else EMI just...destroys the sound and i need to use my phone so i just use my ipod and store all my ALAC's on it. I have backup 256kbps AAC VBR's of all my CD ripped songs. Most can't tell the diff between high bit rate lossy and lossless but an ABX foobar test showed me that i could (yay me!) so i just use ALAC's ..like a boss of course :)

I spend way too much time in the Member's Lounge and really back when I was a normal head fi'er I always wondered why nobody that knew anything at all was ever in the main forums..now I know..it's way more interesting in here :)

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #83 of 276
You must have a killer deal on your plan then, cause when I asked about iPhone plans the cheapest solo option was around $70 a month. They didn't want to let me add it to our family plan for some reason. Maybe with Verizon having had the iPhone for a while now that is handled differently. I got my phone for free (buy one get one free offer on a few models) though instead of $350-400 whatever iPhones go for, so that factored in as well.

And yes, my sole reason for the iPad would be as transport for my rig and some minor misc stuff around the house.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #84 of 276

Quote:
You must have a killer deal on your plan then, cause when I asked about iPhone plans the cheapest solo option was around $70 a month. They didn't want to let me add it to our family plan for some reason. Maybe with Verizon having had the iPhone for a while now that is handled differently. I got my phone for free (buy one get one free offer on a few models) though instead of $350-400 whatever iPhones go for, so that factored in as well.
And yes, my sole reason for the iPad would be as transport for my rig and some minor misc stuff around the house.

mine's also on family

iPhone's are generally ...actually cheaper than Android devices. iPhones have maintained the $199, $299, $399 for 16GiB, 32GiB, and 64GiB(respectivaley) amounts of storage since launch in 2007. They are cheaper than most flagship phones meant to compete with it, serve multiple purposes(audiophile for example) and is faster. Most guys' don't believe me when I say faster but if you read my first post on this thread like on the last page it explains efficeny and stuff like that.

iPad's you wil find to be fun and useful :wink: not just as a rig..omg..the apps...the apps..take so much music space away from you..oh god.. and teh video's and contacts and ..fun things.. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #85 of 276
Just watched the iPad 3 keynote video. Now, it makes me want to sell my Xoom and get an iPad 3
angry_face.gif
. I could probably do without flash in favor of all that retina quad core goodness. And I've always preferred iOS over Android. I will say, though, that Android ICS on the Xoom is much better than Android based phones. I have an Xperia play and, although I don't hate it, it sucks compared to iOS and the only experience I had with iOS was with my old touch that I sold running 2.x. I really only got my current phone because I lost my phone and didn't have enough funds at the time for an iPhone like I had planned, and the Xperia play was free... but I digress.

I wonder if this is the first presentation that Tim Cook has done like this?

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #86 of 276

Quote:
Just watched the iPad 3 keynote video. Now, it makes me want to sell my Xoom and get an iPad 3
angry_face.gif
. I could probably do without flash in favor of all that retina quad core goodness. And I've always preferred iOS over Android. I will say, though, that Android ICS on the Xoom is much better than Android based phones. I have an Xperia play and, although I don't hate it, it sucks compared to iOS and the only experience I had with iOS was with my old touch that I sold running 2.x. I really only got my current phone because I lost my phone and didn't have enough funds at the time for an iPhone like I had planned, and the Xperia play was free... but I digress.

I wonder if this is the first presentation that Tim Cook has done like this?

And Android can't take control of and use the resources and due to "fragmentation" it can't roll out performance updates as well as Apple can(as in quad core or dual core needs specific code on Android to see much performance boost while on iOS dev's see an instant boost and even more so if they optomize it) Most app sales are on iOs with it being friendlier and actually more profitable for them.

That Retina and quad core..looks delicious..but. ill wait for 2014 when I update phone's again and get my iPhone whatever...or ipad whatever ....using an ARM A15 Eagle and low power companion core...no biggie or anything.. I remember when the Eagle was first announced..wow.....just wow.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #87 of 276

Quote:
And Android can't take control of and use the resources and due to "fragmentation" it can't roll out performance updates as well as Apple can(as in quad core or dual core needs specific code on Android to see much performance boost while on iOS dev's see an instant boost and even more so if they optomize it) Most app sales are on iOs with it being friendlier and actually more profitable for them.

That Retina and quad core..looks delicious..but. ill wait for 2014 when I update phone's again and get my iPhone whatever...or ipad whatever ....using an ARM A15 Eagle and low power companion core...no biggie or anything.. I remember when the Eagle was first announced..wow.....just wow.

Fortunately, Motorola is one of the bigger companies for android devices and they usually get first dibs on OS updates. I also have an app that shows me what apps are new that are developed specifically for the NVIDIA Tegra 2. That's not to say I wouldn't still prefer an iPad 3 and iOS, but it makes my 'misery' better.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #88 of 276

Quote:
Fortunately, Motorola is one of the bigger companies for android devices and they usually get first dibs on OS updates. I also have an app that shows me what apps are new that are developed specifically for the NVIDIA Tegra 2. That's not to say I wouldn't still prefer an iPad 3 and iOS, but it makes my 'misery' better.
biggrin.gif

We are on different things here but that's fine too :) .Motorola does make fiine devices but they are very inconsistent :/

IT's sad, I feel bad for Windows Phone 7. To truly create a different and unique user experience(book from Apple) they pulled back and spent months perfecting(well..not Apple perfect but good enough) a phone product and millions on it. And it's not selling, they are now dropping millions into Nokia which just recently crawled out of it's grave. Many things are copied here and there in this world, But launching such an incomplete thing as Android? It's had it's hole's filled but many problems still exist, the most public or seeable one's that just glare are DVM, lack of realtime touch priority, and fragmentation. 

Current Android devices "fluidity" can only be as smooth as an 2 year old 3GS's since Android was so rushed out that it never was supposed to have touch functions at all and thus touch and many of the "fluid" movements were not put in as realtime priority as Apple did (it's not easy as it might seem to just "change it" ...it seems as they would have done it and the report that said this also would have noted this). And then we get into how.... an 1.5GHz variant that is a bit different but stil the same processor just hums up along an 800MHz one.........

Yeah I was a tech and Apple geek LONG LONG before I was a Head Fi'er.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #89 of 276

Quote:
We are on different things here but that's fine too :) .Motorola does make fiine devices but they are very inconsistent :/

IT's sad, I feel bad for Windows Phone 7. To truly create a different and unique user experience(book from Apple) they pulled back and spent months perfecting(well..not Apple perfect but good enough) a phone product and millions on it. And it's not selling, they are now dropping millions into Nokia which just recently crawled out of it's grave. Many things are copied here and there in this world, But launching such an incomplete thing as Android? It's had it's hole's filled but many problems still exist, the most public or seeable one's that just glare are DVM, lack of realtime touch priority, and fragmentation. 

Current Android devices "fluidity" can only be as smooth as an 2 year old 3GS's since Android was so rushed out that it never was supposed to have touch functions at all and thus touch and many of the "fluid" movements were not put in as realtime priority as Apple did (it's not easy as it might seem to just "change it" ...it seems as they would have done it and the report that said this also would have noted this). And then we get into how.... an 1.5GHz variant that is a bit different but stil the same processor just hums up along an 800MHz one.........

Yeah I was a tech and Apple geek LONG LONG before I was a Head Fi'er.

I've never played around with WP7, but I had a Zune HD before I lost it, and as a music player, I preferred it to the iPod touch, because once you got over the learning curve, it really was more fluid and entertaining to use. And that OLED screen was great too. Unfortunately, the apps selection sucked to say the least and so did the browser. The Zune devices themselves are something that I'm kind of sad to see die.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #90 of 276

Quote:
I've never played around with WP7, but I had a Zune HD before I lost it, and as a music player, I preferred it to the iPod touch, because once you got over the learning curve, it really was more fluid and entertaining to use. And that OLED screen was great too. Unfortunately, the apps selection sucked to say the least and so did the browser. The Zune devices themselves are something that I'm kind of sad to see die.

The UI is different for everyone :) I can fully respect it if you liked the UI. It's those that can't back it that get on my irkin'. That OLED might have been good, until ipod's got a Retina display too.... and that app selection that suckked? Must suck even more if you look at it now.. and that browser? Will soon be powered by a more even faster Safari(Suprisingly Apple's safari...is in the race...it's actually winning many monthly tests; they are really competing now) It was sad to see them die also but they had too. the Zune HD lost to the ipod 2G and was never updated since and with apple's market share, dominance, app's, and even faster, more appealing device.....it died..basically..

the 4S...gotta say it has a fast browser, fast to the point that i compare it to my computer many times and yell at how slow it is..when in fact it's blazing it that my friends are all... :O the Razer's browser is the only one that "could be said" to be faster, as it had a better score and I respect that. However it lost in overal browser score on all the dynamics of a web page and lost..heavily when firepower was compared (CPU to CPU, GPU to GPU) 

I can just imagine the GPU and CPU benchmarks we will get with the iPad 3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back