Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #5,821 of 18,459
I never had any issues with the weight, they feel light/comfortable on my head tbh.  Then again I have been lifting free weights for 10 years (shrugs included).  If your looking to strengthen your neck you can simply take a weight plate, lay on a bed/bench with your head freely off one end, put the weight plate with a towel on your forehead and proceed to force your head to tilt up against the weights force.  

But I agree, if you are healthy, and have no pre-existing conditions....I don't understand how the LCD-2's can be the cause of all this pain.  

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5,822 of 18,459
Usually I'm really sensitive to heavy and uncomfortable headphones, as I'm rather small, but the LCD-2 isn't that bad for me. The headband pressure is probably the worst part, and even then it's not so bad. I wont say though that I can't see it not causing anyone else pain, because I don't like making generalizations. 

Quote:
I'm making more generalizations because these are almost always true.  The importance isn't diminished by the .1% who can't/shouldn't do muscle-strengthening exercises to relieve pain and discomfort.  The number of people who have medical conditions making exercising a muscle group a bad idea is incredibly small.  It's not my specific case...it's years and years of dealing with sports and military injuries and witnessing others do the same.  But I need to get off my soapbox as I know we all have them.  
atsmile.gif

I wasn't saying that exercising should be avoided, rather I'm saying it's not a cure-all. It might make a sports injury go away, but not a chronic pain condition. Again, in such a case it treats a symptom but not a cause. In a sports injury where it's muscular, then yes it treats the symptoms and the cause. Not all conditions are similar. I can assure you more than 1% of people have chronic pain conditions.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #5,825 of 18,459
Oct 14, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5,826 of 18,459
I just checked my LCD-2 today and found that they indeed do have that cracked plastic blocks problem.  It's not huge, and is more of a hairline crack at the moment (and more cracked on the L-side than the R), but I've already emailed Audeze to request a replacement.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #5,828 of 18,459
I just requested new blocks to be sent.  Headphone itself is fine and since I'm in Canada it's a real pain and costly to ship this back and forth.  I'm hoping the switching it out is a simple enough DIY task.  I'll try to take the pic with the iphone and upload it.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #5,829 of 18,459
sorry if someone already posted this.
this is the email that went out to folks who may have received the bad headband blocks.
of course, if there are other folks who have cracked blocks, but didn't receive the email, i'm sure they'll take care of those as well...

Hello,

Recently it has come to our notice that the plastic blocks that are part of the headband may show some visible cracks. We are looking into this issue, but preliminary findings show, the type of plastic raw material is the cause. These type of plastic blocks are limited to a few batches that were shipped out. You are receiving this email, because our records indicate you have a headphone from this batch.

We apologize for the problem and we will gladly replace the blocks. We are currently working on a replacement block, we will pro-actively send a pair with instructions to each LCD-2 owner who received the plastic blocks in the batch. We expect to ship the replacement block in a couple of weeks.

If you find any cracks / fissures or any other issues with the plastic blocks, please do send us an email to 
support@audeze.com.

Thank you very much for your understanding,

Audez'e Inc.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #5,830 of 18,459
Here they are:

Sorry for the poor quality as it is taken from the iphone (and because of the grain in plastic it makes it even harder to show).  So as you can see it's very minor, and for now not so much of an issue as far as structural integrity is concerned, but who knows if they'll get bigger from now on.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5,831 of 18,459
My phones have a crack on the left side.  I am not at home right now and so I can't take a picture of it.  The crack runs up and down on the outside of the block, in the middle.  It looks like this:

|
|
|
|

The 0 is where the screw is for holding the the metal part which attaches to the cup.  At the moment, nothing seems loose, but of course it may get worse.

I was going to get around to send Audeze an email, but their email beat me to it; I just replied that mine have the cracks.  I am very impressed by their proactive approach to resolving this.  Also, it looks to me as if it will be pretty easy to unscrew the failed piece and put back on a new one, so here's hoping. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #5,832 of 18,459

I've had these for a few weeks and I do indeed have the cracks.  I wasn't sure if they were just surface scratches or actual cracks/fissures, but I figured if they broke I'd send them to Audeze and they'd fix it.  (I really just didn't want to be apart from these for too long, I'm enjoying them too much.)  But they've gotten deeper (you can actually see them going inwards now.)  I got the email from Audeze today, so it's all cool.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #5,833 of 18,459
Got my set yesterday, woot! Must have gotten seamaster's spot in line.

They sound as good as the ones vie tried at the meets, but the cables sure get annoying when you try turning your head, etc. Not so much e microphonics, but the pi. Sticking out hits your collarbone, etc and it just seems annoying when you're not exactly doing a full on listening session. The weight doesn't really bother me even after fairly long listens, but this is getting to me, as it's so good otherwise...

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #5,835 of 18,459
More pictures? How do you see whether it's just a surface scratch or a fissure? Is it very evident which it is? (Got a hairline scratch on one of my blocks that can be felt going over it with a nail so it's got a tiny bit of depth. But I wouldn't have noticed it unless I had read this thread. The scratch doesn't bother me at all if that's all it is.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back