Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18,459

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
e.jpg

http://www.audeze.com/?p=121

All this talk of the HE-5 Orthos, and how good they are. Im interested in how the LCD-2 compares. They are around the same price range. anyone heard both?

Audeze needs to step up and release them!! Are people already on pre-order?

Seems like a new ortho age is upon us
smily_headphones1.gif
, Sennheiser, be scared!

EDIT:Ok so finally May 03 2010, Audeze has put up their final Production LCD-2 for order. here are the details.
Quote:

LCD2_Pr4-150x150.jpg
LCD2_Pr3-150x150.jpg

Audez’e is proud to introduce the LCD-2s designed for Recording / Mixing Engineers as reference headphones and the audiophiles and music enthusiasts.

The LCD-2s are in production and will start shipping to customers on May 10th. We are in the process of contacting people who have emailed / pre-ordered the headphones.

Hand selected Caribbean Rosewood ear cups.
Lamb Skin Leather Ear pads.
Audeze’s unique planar magnetic transducer with matched sensitivity.
Mini XLR interchangeable cable.
Very easy to drive with amplifiers.
Left and right transducers have matched sensitivity and frequency response.

The LCD-2 housing is designed and custom built from hand selected Caribbean Rosewood. It is built to enhance the quality of the sound and offers a unique coloration and graining. The LCD-2 ear pads are designed to optimally recreate the entire pro audio frequency range. The sloped ear pad design allows us to faithfully reproduce the detail and clarity to the bass, midrange and the treble. The ear pads are made of premium lambskin leather with specially selected foam to offer the right amount of firmness.

Technical Specs:

* Impedance: 50 Ohms, nominal
* Sensitivity: 91 dB/1mW
* Maximum power handling: 15W
* Frequency Response: 5 Hz – 20 KHz, usable high frequency extension 50 KHz.
* Distortion: Less than 1% even at full output.
* Impedance: 50 Ohms, nominal
* Efficiency: 91 dB/1mW
* Maximum power handling: 15W
* Maximum output: 133dB, 15W
* Active diaphragm area: 6.17 square inches.
* Contact pressure: 1.5 N, adjustable, comfortable headband.
* Weight: 550 g, without cable.
* Maximum diaphragm excursion: 2.5mm p-p
* Maximum output: 133dB, 15W

1 year warranty.
Custom wooden box for storage.
Wood care kit.

MSRP: $945.00

LCD-1 Owners, please contact us for upgrade information.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 18,459
I heard the LCD-2, I thought it sounded great off some systems and not so good off others (like mine for example). I wasnt happy with build quality or design, way too heavy, like a brick on your head. The pads werent that great and the fit and finish didnt look so good either for the overall price of the HP. But I must say, I dont quite remember the system I heard it off, but one of the configs had me go wow these can sound good after all.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the LCD-2, I thought it sounded great off some systems and not so good off others (like mine for example). I wasnt happy with build quality or design, way too heavy, like a brick on your head. The pads werent that great and the fit and finish didnt look so good either for the overall price of the HP. But I must say, I dont quite remember the system I heard it off, but one of the configs had me go wow these can sound good after all.

Pads wernt great? They look like Denon pads. Did you get a chance to compare to the HE-5?

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 18,459
I have had communication with Sankar and they should be cranking up sales (hopefully) sometime November (he was thinking mid Nov). I was wondering if the drive element has the same supplier? I dunno, and haven't asked...

But I am planning to get a pair! And I already planted a seed in Sankar's mind about a balanced cable offering....that would be nice!!

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had communication with Sankar and they should be cranking up sales (hopefully) sometime November (he was thinking mid Nov). I was wondering if the drive element has the same supplier? I dunno, and haven't asked...

But I am planning to get a pair! And I already planted a seed in Sankar's mind about a balanced cable offering....that would be nice!!

Audeze developed their own driver. And I think fang devloped his own too. They are both quite different approaches to the ortho driver, so I doubt they use the same people to fabricate them.

Mid nov is coming, cant wait for impressions.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 18,459
oh no...the driver has been developed in house and may actually be superior to the HE-5 ones. The pads are custom made, everything is made in the USA/Canda which is awesome. I do believe they have said the production version will be nicer finish and they are just working out the logistics and getting the damping right, able to release with a sizable supply of headphones as well..all good reasons to deliberate a little bit but hope not too long before they go live.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 18,459
The exposed spring-steel gives a pause for thought...you can damage yourself or other gear when contact is made. Nice chunk of Leather on the HE-5 top, decently padded.

And the cable being hard-wired has benefits to performance...but if you purchased a balanced cable and had it installed...warranty issues...

Just some observations..

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh no...the driver has been developed in house and may actually be superior to the HE-5 ones. The pads are custom made, everything is made in the USA/Canda which is awesome. I do believe they have said the production version will be nicer finish and they are just working out the logistics and getting the damping right, able to release with a sizable supply of headphones as well..all good reasons to deliberate a little bit but hope not too long before they go live.

Great to hear!! And they have had prior experience with one other successful phone on the Market...O.K. I'm getting worked up in a Lather...cool me down...cool me quick!!

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear!! And they have had prior experience with one other successful phone on the Market...O.K. I'm getting worked up in a Lather...cool me down...cool me quick!!

** throws a bucket of cold north-coast sea water on achristilaw **

hope that helps.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 18,459
Their earlier headphone delivered great sound, the largest compromise in the LCD1 was the off the shelf cup which served a purpose for an initial trial run. There are only so many ways to make a large diaphragm ortho which is open - these things are intrinsically heavy due to the strong magnets needed for best planar performance and their decision to make a simple sprung steel headband was sensible imho.

The options would have been a float

headphonedudes.jpg

Or a suspension system like the big yammaha 's

YH1Kebay002a.jpg

The LCD2 offers a new driver which is thinner than the original ( read - AWESOME planar performance ) , a very simple cup / headband design which actually appeals to me. I have no fear of poking my eye or ears while using them , they will be stocked by Ken at 32Ohm who will offer custom recabling for whatever tickles the fancy. I reckon this is going to be the headphone to be watching out for. Personally it will be another reason why not to delve into uber STAT rigs.

..dB

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 18,459
I heard the LCD-2 at RMAF and it blew my mind (was being run off a ZDT). Truly awesome quickness and bass impact. I'm counting the days until they are officially released - I'm jumping right on a pair. May get a pair of HE-5s as well to compare - will certainly share my thoughts if I do.

EDIT: Woo 1,000th post

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 18,459
I did a side-by-side of the 1s with the 2s - believe me, it's not even close. Once you hear the 2s you'll have no problem letting go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back