Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #5,806 of 18,459
There is few parts of our body that is as fragile as our necks. You don´t really need to have any health issues to have comfort issue with 550g on your head even though there is no G-forces involved. Thanks for the cable comment I will have to reconsider if recabling it is doing me any good if it adds so much weight. I am sure fitness plays part also so it´s not all wrong of course. I am sure F1 drivers will be less likely to have issues with the LCD-2 then the average audiophile. At least F1 drivers that are not that active anymore. But then there is tons of old racing drivers suffering with neck issues. In my case I am healthy but I do have a physical job which is tough on the neck too. Reading books and such is to be totally avoided with the LCD-2 but I feel it compressing my neck even when having it firmly planted in my racing chair. It has all kind of body support built for racing as it´s
smily_headphones1.gif

Just saying you can be perfectly healthy and experience comfort issues with the LCD-2 if you are using them plentiful.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #5,807 of 18,459
One particular point of concern with regards to the comfort is the posture. If you sit properly straight the weight of the headphones is shared by the rest of the back rather than entirely by the neck.

Comparing the HD800's and the LCD2 has been fun but the most noticeable difference aside from the treble is the weight.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #5,808 of 18,459
I think a lot of the early pains experienced by the newer users may be due to the weight "working out" the neck muscle... so more of a natural strain than pain.  Back of my neck felt pretty sore for the first week I had my LCD-2, but now I can wear it for an hour or two without problems.  As I've said before, this is not a headphone I'd recommend to people who wants to listen in their chairs using a computer or something hunched back (and with people with known legitimate neck/disk problems, I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to be really careful), but as something you can use for relaxing on a chair with plenty of neck/head support.  I found that those neck cushions you can buy at many stores helps in offsetting bit of the weight as well. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5,809 of 18,459
This is no joke. I used to have serious neck pain and spasms from riding mountain bike, motorcycle, weightlifting and having a guitar strap around my neck. Then a semi-pro baseball player friend of mine recommended getting a Phiten magnetic necklace. This is the kind that you have seen major league pitchers and now a lot of other position players have been wearing for the last 5 years.
Within 3 days of wearing one, my neck felt perfect and has stayed that way. I even bought a second one. I've had multiple friends with the same problems including a body building cousin (female) who had a stiff neck when preparing for competition, and every single person that I've told to get one, that got one, was cured in less than a week. For less than $35 it's worth a try and it has a trial period.

http://www.phitenusa.com/c-7-necklace.aspx

I have this one:

Also, getting a Tempurpedic pillow (not mattress) saved my life, neck wise, but that takes a couple of weeks. That's more of a long term solution, the necklace works right away. I even have a friend who had arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder and he does pavement pot hole repairs and it helped him when he went back to work.
/end of sales pitch/

No, I'm not a Phiten salesperson, but I do play one in this thread.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #5,810 of 18,459
Oct 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #5,811 of 18,459
Can you elaborate further? I'm not sure what you're saying. The Fletcher-Munson curves were created with the use of headphones.

Quote:
The graphs have NOTHING to do with loudness contour.  The compensated graph has to do with diffuse field / near field EQ because they are headphones and not speakers.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #5,812 of 18,459
Dude, the solution is so easy... 

Here you go!

Start scheduling your next 36 hours LCD-2 listening marathon :¬)

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #5,813 of 18,459

Quote:
Can you elaborate further? I'm not sure what you're saying. The Fletcher-Munson curves were created with the use of headphones.

Fletcher Munson curves have nothing to do with this.  Please read the article to which I provided a link, then we can discuss any questions you may have from there.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #5,814 of 18,459

Quote:
You know, people can have serious problems with their neck that aren't just from a lack of exercise. Problems they can't just "get over." Not saying that's always the case, and sometimes it IS a lack of exercise. But not always. Don't make so many assumptions.

Very few people fit that category, truth be told.  Any body part will atrophy and weaken to the point of injury if it's not being exercised and strengthened...a typical American's sedentary lifestyle is going to cause injury or pain to many parts of their body.  Sitting in chairs all day and then at home once you leave the office is not the way to keep your body pain-free.  One of our problems in the US, in my opinion, is that we use surgical techniques as a way of circumventing problems that could be largely prevented or cured by moderate strength training.  Having had two vertebrae fused in my neck not too long ago, I can say that wearing headphones after I got out of my brace was no fun.  But exercising those neck muscles and building up neck and shoulder strength fixed the discomfort.  It's worth the effort, especially if you're contemplating selling your headphones because they're too heavy.    

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #5,816 of 18,459
I did read the article but wasn't sure where you were going with your comment. I wasn't referring to the FR charts as being equivalent to the loudness equiv. charts, I was merely pointing out that it's a good idea to keep in mind that our hearing does not perceive sound in a ruler flat manner.

Quote:
Fletcher Munson curves have nothing to do with this.  Please read the article to which I provided a link, then we can discuss any questions you may have from there.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #5,817 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was merely pointing out that it's a good idea to keep in mind that our hearing does not perceive sound in a ruler flat manner.

While that is true, Fletcher-Munson is about a more specific issue, which is that human hearing perceives shifts in tonality depending on the intensity (sound pressure level).

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #5,819 of 18,459
Quote:
Very few people fit that category, truth be told.  Any body part will atrophy and weaken to the point of injury if it's not being exercised and strengthened...a typical American's sedentary lifestyle is going to cause injury or pain to many parts of their body.  Sitting in chairs all day and then at home once you leave the office is not the way to keep your body pain-free.  One of our problems in the US, in my opinion, is that we use surgical techniques as a way of circumventing problems that could be largely prevented or cured by moderate strength training.  Having had two vertebrae fused in my neck not too long ago, I can say that wearing headphones after I got out of my brace was no fun.  But exercising those neck muscles and building up neck and shoulder strength fixed the discomfort.  It's worth the effort, especially if you're contemplating selling your headphones because they're too heavy.    

You are making more generalizations. Your own case shouldn't be used to assume all people would benefit from the same treatment. Sometimes pain results from degenerative diseases and chronic conditions, and while excersize can help, it's not a cure all. Pain is often a symptom of a more serious problem, and in that case exercise would only treat the symptoms and not the cause.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #5,820 of 18,459

Quote:
You are making more generalizations. Your own case shouldn't be used to assume all people would benefit from the same treatment. Sometimes pain results from degenerative diseases and chronic conditions, and while excersize can help, it's not a cure all. Pain is often a symptom of a more serious problem, and in that case exercise would only treat the symptoms and not the cause.

I'm making more generalizations because these are almost always true.  The importance isn't diminished by the .1% who can't/shouldn't do muscle-strengthening exercises to relieve pain and discomfort.  The number of people who have medical conditions making exercising a muscle group a bad idea is incredibly small.  It's not my specific case...it's years and years of dealing with sports and military injuries and witnessing others do the same.  But I need to get off my soapbox as I know we all have them.  
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back