Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5,851 of 18,459
so you like the silver cables as you prefer a bright and tilted presentation in the upper frequencies. Thank goodness the LCD-2 doesn't sound as bright as the HD800..that would've ruined it the LCD-2 for me.

I am all for the ALO chain mail cable..Pure copper just sounds better in every way to my ears.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #5,852 of 18,459

Quote:
so you like the silver cables as you prefer a bright and tilted presentation in the upper frequencies. Thank goodness the LCD-2 doesn't sound as bright as the HD800..that would've ruined it the LCD-2 for me.

I am all for the ALO chain mail cable..Pure copper just sounds better in every way to my ears.

I don't prefer bright tilted presentations. Did you actually read my review? 
confused.gif
I didn't prefer the somewhat pushed back treble with the stock cable and found that the Silver Dragon brought them more forward. As I noted, it's nowhere like the HD800s (I do have a DHC copper cable for them to help tame the treble).

I like neutral presentations and the stock LCD-2s were lacking in that regard due to the pushed back treble. Again....with the Silver Dragon cable, the treble has life again and is IN NO WAY bright or tilted. How the heck do you know what I like in terms of presentation? Can you read minds?
eek.gif

Pure copper for the HD800s is ideal. As it does help with push back the treble. But the LCD-2s don't need the treble pushed back further...I wanted a bit more treble energy and that's what the Moon Audio cable does. In turn there is a more sense of space/air between instruments.

Copper and silver cables have their place based on what your system needs are. But there is no doubt which is the better conductor of electricity.
wink.gif

I made NO comparisons to the ALO cable as I have not heard it. Have you heard this cable? Sheesh...

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #5,853 of 18,459

Quote:
I don't prefer bright tilted presentations. Did you actually read my review? 
confused.gif
I didn't prefer the somewhat pushed back treble with the stock cable and found that the Silver Dragon brought them more forward. As I noted, it's nowhere like the HD800s (I do have a DHC copper cable for them to help tame the treble).

Pure copper for the HD800s is ideal. As it does help with push back the treble. But the LCD-2s don't need the treble pushed back further...I wanted a bit more treble energy and that's what the Moon Audio cable does. In turn there is a more sense of space/air between instruments.

I made NO comparisons to the ALO cable as I have not heard it. Have you heard this cable?

I know most people go for silver cables exactly for this reason..to push those upper freq registers...I tried several silver interconnects when i was trying to find one for my system, only to find out that the pure copper cables sounded way more organic and natural than anything else I tried.

And yes, I do use the ALO cable. Packed away the stock cable since i got it. A must try if not a buy if any of you guys are looking for a cable upgrade, or are looking to eek that last bit of performance out of these headphones. This from a guy who used to be a huge huge cable skeptic till a year and half ago. lol
Then i decided to be open to the possibilities and am glad I did
smily_headphones1.gif
 I still stick to the 10-15% of system budget for cables and tweaks. Just that it used to be 1% back then :p

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #5,854 of 18,459

Quote:
I know most people go for silver cables exactly for this reason..to push those upper freq registers...I tried several silver interconnects when i was trying to find one for my system, only to find out that the pure copper cables sounded way more organic and natural than anything else I tried.

Thanks for the generalization of "most people".
confused.gif

Which silver interconnects did you try (ones that aren't properly built can ONLY bring out the treble and can lighten up the bass)? With my Concerto, I prefer my Kimber Heros (copper), but with my tube amp, my Kimber Silver Streaks are ideal. The thing is that silver also can enhance the mids and if it's not a cheap one, the bass/warmth remains untouched. It really depends on the application you're looking for.

The Silver Dragon does this...the treble has more life and energy (again NOT HD800 treble), but more life like to my ears. They still sound very much like LCD-2s. Not to mention the Moon Audio cable is quite a bit lighter than the stock (which in turn is lighter than the ALO chain mail from what I've heard) and this is a very good thing for me to make these cans feel lighter on my head.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #5,855 of 18,459
^^ don't really remember all the ones i tried, there were some transparent ones, synergestic audio, Einstein, LAT IC300 sig, Grover huffman, Jena symphonies, VDH orchid etc..) cable prices varied from 200$ all the way to 1400$. 

ANyway, all cables taht used SPC or some form of silver alloy or silver + some other conductor just didn't sound right to me. 

The 1400$ Jena Symphonies was the only one that really did it for me..of course i don't own it..wish i could though. I use some custom ALO cables right now.

I tend to like a neutral sound and the jenas did this to my rig. I have heard that the Acoustic Systems live line interconnects are really really good for this as well..have to give them a go sometime..
If u like the moon audio cable..cool. I have tried his cables (back when i had the Sennheisers) and didn't really care for it much. Apuresound is way better IMO if you want a silver flavored cable but retains most of the soul in the music.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #5,856 of 18,459
Peter - thanks for the review. Drew's new cable is now on my list.
I love that he eliminated the tech flex. I mean, does it do anything besides add microphonics?

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #5,857 of 18,459

Quote:
^^ don't really remember all the ones i tried, there were some transparent ones, synergestic audio, Einstein, LAT IC300 sig, Grover huffman, Jena symphonies, VDH orchid etc..) cable prices varied from 200$ all the way to 1400$. 

ANyway, all cables taht used SPC or some form of silver alloy or silver + some other conductor just didn't sound right to me. 

The 1400$ Jena Symphonies was the only one that really did it for me..of course i don't own it..wish i could though. I use some custom ALO cables right now.

I tend to like a neutral sound and the jenas did this to my rig. I have heard that the Acoustic Systems live line interconnects are really really good for this as well..have to give them a go sometime..
If u like the moon audio cable..cool. I have tried his cables (back when i had the Sennheisers) and didn't really care for it much. Apuresound is way better IMO if you want a silver cable.

rolleyes.gif

BTW, I'm not a fan of Apuresound cables...their silver could come off as a bit "thin" sounding when I tried them on a set of HD600s. The Mood Audio's are better constructed, lighter, improve the upper mids/treble WITHOUT giving away any bass/mid bass or warmth.

But thanks for your two cents...I hope you don't mind, but I think you can have keep your pennies.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #5,858 of 18,459

Quote:
Peter - thanks for the review. Drew's new cable is now on my list.
I love that he eliminated the tech flex. I mean, does it do anything besides add microphonics?

Thanks!

The lack of tech flex means zero microphonics on the single strand portion of the cable. The upper "Y" can still be a bit mircophonic, but nowhere as much as the stock cable. As well, the silver's purity has been improved from 4Ns to 6Ns. For those who think the LCD-2's treble is pushed a bit too far back and that they could use more air in their presentation, this cable does the job. So much so that they are my new favourite headphone.
L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5,860 of 18,459
whatever gives you your kicks man...

In other news, listening to Ethan's Stacker 2 that i got done restoring to full health. Running some NOS 5814A tubes, and its a great night for grooving to Josh Martinez.. I am going to hate sending this amp back..again.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #5,862 of 18,459
I would protest that APuresound cables aren't made as well as 'X' brand. I've seen multiple of Alex's cables and own one myself. Each one is precision fitted with excellent craftsmanship. Perhaps you like the materials used in another cable's packaging, but don't say it's better made, because you are only letting material preference bias you against a quality maker. I'm not experienced enough with trying multiple cables to be a believer or not, but I did buy one of his cables for the express reason that they are well made and will last a very long time in addition to the ability to customize the connections and length.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #5,863 of 18,459

Quote:
I would protest that APuresound cables aren't made as well as 'X' brand. I've seen multiple of Alex's cables and own one myself. Each one is precision fitted with excellent craftsmanship. Perhaps you like the materials used in another cable's packaging, but don't say it's better made, because you are only letting material preference bias you against a quality maker. I'm not experienced enough with trying multiple cables to be a believer or not, but I did buy one of his cables for the express reason that they are well made and will last a very long time in addition to the ability to customize the connections and length.

x2..finish and construction is up there with the best.
i love the black nylon wrap they use on their cables. Their customer service as well is top notch. I would love to own an APS LCD-2 cable somewhere down the line.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #5,864 of 18,459

Quote:

They are all made by randoms in their garage anyways. It's not like you can be a "trained audiophile cable maker" you just have more or less experience soldering wires to various connectors... no voodoo here, and nothing the average joe couldn't do. Recabling headphones is trickier, but still nowhere near rocket science.

I am sure it all depends on what people like in the design of a cable, and the horror stories they have heard. I have herd numerous times that people have had to resend their Silver dragon recabled products back because the solder detached... I am sure it is very unlike and has happened with other vendors as well.

But yeah, they are all more or less equal.

What I wanna know is how a silver wire, with a solder at either end, passing through two different gold plated copper connectors, sounds any different than just copper. Your starting point and end point are copper, so would it not neutralize the infinitesimal "speed gain" of the silver in the middle?

Chain is gold->copper->solder->silver->solder->copper->gold

Makes me scratch my head! But damn is that furutech plug on Peter's cable ever sexy. I could definitely see myself re-terminating my cable with one of those.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #5,865 of 18,459
Nice review Peter  and glad your enjoying the cable. I am always a little confused why people who never heard the item you are listening too can knock down the product, But as always on this board and it always the same guy who rags on everyone else iif the products doesn't come from ALO. Glad you found your solution and best to ignore some of the uniformed and childish remarks coming from the one individual who likes to start trouble here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back