ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #496 of 1,380

The Brimars arrived today and are as described by Frank below. They bring out the bottom end a bit, so the HE1000s end up with a big beard, not just a regular beard. They are what I was looking for that the Bendix tried, but didn't succeed in doing well, which is make the sound a bit more interesting without overdoing it, similar to how the solid state HEADA manages, but a bit more still. I have the Tungsol 6SN7 in there too at the moment though, which has just a small touch of melody about its presentation. 

The more mellow tubes are nice with the top-end of the HE1000s, but the bottom-end is already quite there, so it is a bit overwhelming. I should probably even things up a bit and put the 5692 back in instead as too much of a good thing I find fatiguing. Without having a similar TOTL amp here to compare, it is hard to say otherwise how well it is doing with the HE1000s. I don't have any complaints though, it is the kind of fast amp necessary for them and a distinct jump from the direct output of the Hugo.

I found the TS RP to be much for the SS and ended up preferring either a Grey glass or Red base RCA.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #497 of 1,380
  I found the TS RP to be much for the SS and ended up preferring either a Grey glass or Red base RCA.

The 5692 is a Red Base RCA indeed. Very kick-ass tube indeed. It's my preferred tube for it. It's only because lately I've had some bright cans here and the Hugo as a source that I've wanted to go in a different direction a bit.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #498 of 1,380

The 5692 is a Red Base RCA indeed. Very kick-ass tube indeed. It's my preferred tube for it. It's only because lately I've had some bright cans here and the Hugo as a source that I've wanted to go in a different direction a bit.

Red Base RCA is the tube to go for! Also tried the Sophia Electric 6SN7 - which also sounds good, but NOS tubes gives some additional pleasure :) You also have to like gold color base of Sophia, but worth buying as a new production tube...

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #499 of 1,380
Anyone who has the HE1000, what is the best combo of tubes you've tried with it so far?

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #500 of 1,380
I am loving the Studio Six with my HD800's. I threw the 596 in the rectifier slot and the bass is amazing.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #501 of 1,380
Last weeks I have re-arranged my headphonecollection, selling some headphones and looking for "THAT SPECIAL ONE" on my wishlist! And finally last week my dream came true and I did receive my Ultrasone LIMITED Edition 5. Having it burned in for some days - Ultrasone says it take a serious time - I couldn't wait any longer...

I did seatle myself in my best chair, selected some music by Qobuz on my Aries/VEGA setup and connected all to my favorite Studio Six. Oh man.... dreams came true - I knew why I did like my Studio Six, but with Edition 5 plugged-in, i did forget I did listen to headphones. I've got sucked into the music and to be honest THIS was the FUN I was looking for. This is why I'm a Head-fi enthusiast!

So to all Studio Six owners, we all know Studio Six sings with lot's of planars ( I do love my Audeze's) but do give this pair of German headphones a try... Maybe then you understand why i did write this "emotional review" :wink:

THANKS ALO Audio - THANKS Ultrasone for giving me this pleasure - who knows what future will bring more...

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #502 of 1,380
  Last weeks I have re-arranged my headphonecollection, selling some headphones and looking for "THAT SPECIAL ONE" on my wishlist! And finally last week my dream came true and I did receive my Ultrasone LIMITED Edition 5. Having it burned in for some days - Ultrasone says it take a serious time - I couldn't wait any longer...

I did seatle myself in my best chair, selected some music by Qobuz on my Aries/VEGA setup and connected all to my favorite Studio Six. Oh man.... dreams came true - I knew why I did like my Studio Six, but with Edition 5 plugged-in, i did forget I did listen to headphones. I've got sucked into the music and to be honest THIS was the FUN I was looking for. This is why I'm a Head-fi enthusiast!

So to all Studio Six owners, we all know Studio Six sings with lot's of planars ( I do love my Audeze's) but do give this pair of German headphones a try... Maybe then you understand why i did write this "emotional review" :wink:

THANKS ALO Audio - THANKS Ultrasone for giving me this pleasure - who knows what future will bring more...

PAM005

I just received a Edition 5 from one of my dealers in order to make some cables for them, it was new and out of the box the sound is somewhat strange / different / odd. I have not had a chance to try it with my Studio Six but knowing the Studio Six is the revealer of all headphones it seems I should give it a go on the ST6 as you suggest. I will put on my burn in device and then re try it this time on the ST6. Thanks for the tip! The Edition 5 is so light and comfy, I am a sucker for closed back headphones!!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #503 of 1,380
Anyone who has the HE1000, what is the best combo of tubes you've tried with it so far?

So far, with the HE1000's bass becoming more tamed, yet the treble being still bright, I am liking the Brimar 6V6GTs with it.

Edit: @KB I can't remember if anyone has asked, but I'm wondering if the 6SN7 slot can have a 6SL7 put in it, or would that have too high an output?

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #505 of 1,380

So far, with the HE1000's bass becoming more tamed, yet the treble being still bright, I am liking the Brimar 6V6GTs with it.

Edit: @KB I can't remember if anyone has asked, but I'm wondering if the 6SN7 slot can have a 6SL7 put in it, or would that have too high an output?

Currawong,

Not sure, give it a go and let us know, you cant hurt the amp.

Also for you who want to take it up a notch we have plenty of Photostages in stock!

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #506 of 1,380
How is the Abyss with the S6?

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #507 of 1,380
How is the Abyss with the S6?

The S6 is Single ended only. The abyss is designed to be used as a Balanced headphone. So....They do not go together.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #508 of 1,380
Any word on HE1000 synergy?

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #509 of 1,380
Any word on HE1000 synergy?

I have not heard that combo yet. I LOVE the Studio Six. The HE1000 was awesome last weekend at the SF meet with the upgraded Woo WA5-LE. It would be a fun pairing to hear.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #510 of 1,380
Interesting. Love to hear others thoughts as that's my potential endgame pairing right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back