ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #526 of 1,383
I have finished my review of the Studio Six for Headphone.Guru. It will post Sept 7th. After putting the review to bed I arranged with Ken to buy the review unit with the Phono Stage. It is my Tube reference now. Let the fun begin!

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #527 of 1,383
Nice setup ! Must sound very good with Vinyl, when does your review come out?

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #528 of 1,383
Wow, what an awesome rig you've get there longbowbbs!!! Both the digital and analog setups look top notch, can't wait to read the review! Just curious, what has been your favorite headphone pairing with the S6?

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #529 of 1,383
Thanks guys! It is a fun stack for sure.

The review is scheduled for September 7th on Headphone.guru. It is an outstanding vinyl rig. The Dynavector is a HOMC so no stress for the Phono Stage. As for my favorite headphone with the S6 it is the HD800. I used my LCD-X, Alpha Prime and Nighthawks as well for the review.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #530 of 1,383
Interesting, I've always read it was the best paired with audezes and in fact that's what ALO used as a reference when designing it. Good to know the HD800 is a good pairing too. I plan on using the HE1000 which I think shares many characteristics of the HD800 so my hope is that is a good pairing as well.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #531 of 1,383
Interesting, I've always read it was the best paired with audezes and in fact that's what ALO used as a reference when designing it. Good to know the HD800 is a good pairing too. I plan on using the HE1000 which I think shares many characteristics of the HD800 so my hope is that is a good pairing as well.

I did enjoy my last sitting with the HE1000's. I was listening to them with the upgraded Woo WA5-LE. Very detailed and transparent. That would be a fun comparison too between the Woo and the Studio Six.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #532 of 1,383
Yes it would. Those are actually the two tube amps I've been trying to decide between!

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #533 of 1,383

Wow, you've also got the Liquid Gold too? I would love to hear some comparisons, those are my 2 dream amps right now, leaning slightly to the S6 though. I also plan on pairing it with the HE1000 so I can't wait to hear your impressions of that combination. 

Yes. I have both. I had been putting the S6 through its 3-4 day burin-in period. After listening to the S6 for the past 5 days. I am selling my Cavalli Liquid Gold. I am liking the tubey sound better than the LiAu sound.

• The bass is not as hard hitting, but that is a good thing for me.
  • The sound is smoother andd a bit warmer.
  • The slight harshness in the treble is gone too.
  • The mids with ALO Studio Six are sweet and adddictive. In comparison, LiAu was a little more clinical compared to S6

I have tried the S6 with all my headphones: HE-1000, Abyss AB-1266 and HD800. I liked the HE-1000 the best. I may consider selling the Abyss.

A note about the DAC I use: PS Audio DirectStream. Just couple of days back PS Audio released an update to the firmware to the DAC. Its like a whole new DAC now! The soundstaging and imaging has improved & the trebles are less harsh than the last firmware release. The difference is easily percievable thru the HE-1000. Great DAC!

How do you like the LAu vs the Moon 430HA? I have the Moon as my Solid State reference.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #534 of 1,383
My current tube compliment is the RCA VT-231 NOS, Bendix JAN CEA 5992, Sylvania OB2, USAF-596 with 2359Glenn Adapter. Working great with the HD800's.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #535 of 1,383
  How do you like the LAu vs the Moon 430HA? I have the Moon as my Solid State reference.

I like the Moon Neo as it has a dead silent background and it is more versatile - it can drive IEMs to Abyss, balanced & single-ended. The one I have has a DAC too. So a great value. As far as sound goes, for me I like the LiAu for balanced headphones.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #536 of 1,383

I like the Moon Neo as it has a dead silent background and it is more versatile - it can drive IEMs to Abyss, balanced & single-ended. The one I have has a DAC too. So a great value. As far as sound goes, for me I like the LiAu for balanced headphones.

I agree about the Moon as a versatile piece. I have the DAC board in mine as well. I use it as much for it's Pre-Amp capabilities as I do for its Headphone excellence.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #537 of 1,383

From your experience which amp do you think brings out the most euphoria / emotion (sonic bliss) in the music with the Abyss headphones?  Moon Neo 430HA, LAu, or the new Woo WA5-LE with Takatsuki 300B & 274B tubes? 

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #538 of 1,383

From your experience which amp do you think brings out the most euphoria / emotion (sonic bliss) in the music with the Abyss headphones?  Moon Neo 430HA, LAu, or the new Woo WA5-LE with Takatsuki 300B & 274B tubes? 

I like the Woo WA5-LE with the Abyss. Its got a lot of power. Most other amps, I need to turn volume up to 60-90%. With the WA5, I have plenty of power at 25%. The Takatsuki tubes (both 300B & 274B) are the best I have heard on this amp. Smooth, euphoric bliss with a very expansive soundstage and very detailed imaging! I cannot go back to SS amps with the Abyss anymore. They sound lifeless and a bit harsh.

Personally, I did not like the performance of the Abyss on Studio Six. I had to turn the volume up to 80%. I still did not get the bass I got on the WA5 or SS amps.I wanted the Abyss to sound a little colored, I guess

I like the HE-1000s on the Studio Six for classical and Jazz music. Abyss for EDM, Indian Music and Rock on the WA-5. The bass on the Abyss is the best I have heard.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #539 of 1,383

I like the Woo WA5-LE with the Abyss. Its got a lot of power. Most other amps, I need to turn volume up to 60-90%. With the WA5, I have plenty of power at 25%. The Takatsuki tubes (both 300B & 274B) are the best I have heard on this amp. Smooth, euphoric bliss with a very expansive soundstage and very detailed imaging! I cannot go back to SS amps with the Abyss anymore. They sound lifeless and a bit harsh.

Personally, I did not like the performance of the Abyss on Studio Six. I had to turn the volume up to 80%. I still did not get the bass I got on the WA5 or SS amps.I wanted the Abyss to sound a little colored, I guess

I like the HE-1000s on the Studio Six for classical and Jazz music. Abyss for EDM, Indian Music and Rock on the WA-5. The bass on the Abyss is the best I have heard.

Interesting, how did the HE1000 perform with Rock music on the Studio Six, I don't listen to much Jazz or any Classical unfortunately. Think the WA-5 would be a better option with the HE1000 for Rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back