ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #511 of 1,383

How is the Abyss with the S6?

The S6 is Single ended only. The abyss is designed to be used as a Balanced headphone. So....They do not go together.

The difference is a single plug. 
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #512 of 1,383
Jul 28, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #513 of 1,383
I have the HE1000 on order atm... Waiting for it to arrive this/next month.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #514 of 1,383
Jul 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #515 of 1,383
I'm liking the HE1000 pairing with the slightly warmer Brimar 6V6GTs. I'm getting a lot of that surreal bass that feels like you have a subwoofer connected.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #516 of 1,383
The bass out of the Studio Six with the HD800's is incredible. I put the 596 in the rectifier spot and I am really liking the low end response.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #517 of 1,383
I just lent my HD800s to Anakchan, just as I discovered the right combo which would probably suit them.  What music are you listening to?

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #518 of 1,383
  I just lent my HD800s to Anakchan, just as I discovered the right combo which would probably suit them.  What music are you listening to?

I have gone through quite a variety. Steely Dan, Linda Ronstadt, Toscanini directing Beethoven, Gotye....The Studio Six is the best HD800 amp I have ever heard.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #519 of 1,383
I just got my ALO Studio Six. My first fully Tube Amp. I am running it through its burn-in period. But listening to it to with the Abyss. SWEET, SWEET music! I had always used SS Amps before with the Abyss, but I have not heard it sound so good. The volume level is close to 85%.

The mids are so lush and lifelike. The vocals are clear and so addictive. Bass is impactful but not Overpowering. Treble was a bit harsh in the beginning, but it's gotten tamed now.

Should have gotten into Tube amps right from the get go, I would have saved a lot of money :).

For the first time, I am loving the Abyss headphones. Next up the HE-1000. I will post details as I do more listening.

Thanks Ken! The purchasing experience has been amazing and Ken has been there to walk me through the purchasing process helping me customize my order to match my already existing gear and the setup process.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #520 of 1,383
I just got my ALO Studio Six. My first fully Tube Amp. I am running it through its burn-in period. But listening to it to with the Abyss. SWEET, SWEET music! I had always used SS Amps before with the Abyss, but I have not heard it sound so good. The volume level is close to 85%.

The mids are so lush and lifelike. The vocals are clear and so addictive. Bass is impactful but not Overpowering. Treble was a bit harsh in the beginning, but it's gotten tamed now.

Should have gotten into Tube amps right from the get go, I would have saved a lot of money
smily_headphones1.gif

For the first time, I am loving the Abyss headphones. Next up the HE-1000. I will post details as I do more listening.

Thanks Ken! The purchasing experience has been amazing and Ken has been there to walk me through the purchasing process helping me customize my order to match my already existing gear and the setup process.

Wow, you've also got the Liquid Gold too? I would love to hear some comparisons, those are my 2 dream amps right now, leaning slightly to the S6 though. I also plan on pairing it with the HE1000 so I can't wait to hear your impressions of that combination. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #521 of 1,383

Should have gotten into Tube amps right from the get go, I would have saved a lot of money
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear the Abyss pairs well with the S6! When I had the Abyss in house I did not do any Single Ended listening. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #522 of 1,383
  Wow, you've also got the Liquid Gold too? I would love to hear some comparisons, those are my 2 dream amps right now, leaning slightly to the S6 though. I also plan on pairing it with the HE1000 so I can't wait to hear your impressions of that combination. 

Yes. I have both. I had been putting the S6 through its 3-4 day burin-in period. After listening to the S6 for the past 5 days. I am selling my Cavalli Liquid Gold. I am liking the tubey sound better than the LiAu sound.

• The bass is not as hard hitting, but that is a good thing for me.
  • The sound is smoother andd a bit warmer.
  • The slight harshness in the treble is gone too.
  • The mids with ALO Studio Six are sweet and adddictive. In comparison, LiAu was a little more clinical compared to S6

I have tried the S6 with all my headphones: HE-1000, Abyss AB-1266 and HD800. I liked the HE-1000 the best. I may consider selling the Abyss.

A note about the DAC I use: PS Audio DirectStream. Just couple of days back PS Audio released an update to the firmware to the DAC. Its like a whole new DAC now! The soundstaging and imaging has improved & the trebles are less harsh than the last firmware release. The difference is easily percievable thru the HE-1000. Great DAC!

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #523 of 1,383
Wow, thanks for that, exactly what I was hoping to hear as that's my future dream rig I hope to get myself for Christmas (HE1000 & Studio Six), glad to hear it was your favorite combo.

Also, I've read the same thing about the PS DAC recently somewhere, pretty crazy how a firmware update can make a DAC sound that much better - what a long way we've come from Analog days!

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #524 of 1,383

Also, I've read the same thing about the PS DAC recently somewhere, pretty crazy how a firmware update can make a DAC sound that much better - what a long way we've come from Analog days!

Damn! I am listening to Enigma's Crosses of Change. I can hear details and spacing between the instruments with the new firmware that I had not heard before on the same DAC with the older firmware. In all the music I can clearly make out the Tabla drums and the soft reverberations of those table beats.

FPGA DACs RULE, when you have a great software developer leading that firmware development effort!

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #525 of 1,383

So far, with the HE1000's bass becoming more tamed, yet the treble being still bright, I am liking the Brimar 6V6GTs with it.

Edit: @KB I can't remember if anyone has asked, but I'm wondering if the 6SN7 slot can have a 6SL7 put in it, or would that have too high an output?

Thomas thinks the 6SL7 is prob not a good tube for the ST6, however it will not hurt it.

because the both the input capacitance
and plate resistance of the 6SL7 is much higher than that of a 6SN7,
there will be increase high-frequency roll-off with
the 6SL7

Probably best to stick with 6SN7.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back