ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
May 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #481 of 1,380
Can you tell me what issues you had with the LCD-X and the Studio Six and why you thought the LCD-XC was a better partner since the X and XC sound pretty similar to me?  Also, can you comment please on how well the Studio Six sounds when listening at lower levels?

May 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #482 of 1,380
  I know the W4S Dac 2 well having once owned it.  I understand the SE upgrade made it all the more excellent.  I'm glad you like the pairing with the LCD-X as I prefer the sound signature of those headphones over the LCD-3.

The lCD-2 and LCD-3 just did not suit me. The X OTOH I like very much as my open Planar reference.

May 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #483 of 1,380
  Can you tell me what issues you had with the LCD-X and the Studio Six and why you thought the LCD-XC was a better partner since the X and XC sound pretty similar to me?  Also, can you comment please on how well the Studio Six sounds when listening at lower levels?

Not about issues, it's more about personal taste. I do prefer the mellow sound of Audeze LCD 2/3/XC line, I believe I can't find in LCD-X. Also the small humm with LCD-X and Studio Six did disturb me.... Sorry :wink:

About low-level listening, with Studio Six you can enjoy as background listening (but powerfull enough to let your feet tap) while listening with Taurus is more upfront! Sorry, can't explain better :wink:

May 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #484 of 1,380

Not about issues, it's more about personal taste. I do prefer the mellow sound of Audeze LCD 2/3/XC line, I believe I can't find in LCD-X. Also the small humm with LCD-X and Studio Six did disturb me.... Sorry :wink:

Interesting. I do not get that hum from the S6 and the X....

May 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #486 of 1,380

Interesting. I do not get that hum from the S6 and the X....

It's only with volume down, and with some tubes... But it can also depend of powerversion. I do have 230V version, but also other EU Headfi member had same issue with Studio Six! But it's not a big issue....

I am in the States so using 110 here. FWIW, I have not experienced any hum with the HD800's or Alpha Primes either.

May 29, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #489 of 1,380
The Phonostage is really sweet. My Dynavector 10X5 is not hard to drive, but the S6Phono has transformed it to as liquid a sound as I have gotten from this cartridge. On headphones it is a wonderful presentation. IN the next couple of weeks I will rearrange the room so I can output the Phono to my Speaker rig and enjoy its sound with my Vandersteen's.

May 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #491 of 1,380
  Thanks Longbowbbs, i did see you have review of Studio Six and Phonostage in planning. I'm waiting with patience to read your experiences!

It is next up after I wrap up the Moon Neo 430HA this weekend.

May 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #492 of 1,380
Anyone tried the new HE1000 with the S6 yet? Wondering how the synergy is with those two. I really like the HE1000 and I'm thinking of the combo as my end game setup (for reals this time!)

May 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #494 of 1,380

It is next up after I wrap up the Moon Neo 430HA this weekend.

"Every man may meet his match" :wink:

beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #495 of 1,380
  how is the HE1000 / S6 combo so far for ya?

The Brimars arrived today and are as described by Frank below. They bring out the bottom end a bit, so the HE1000s end up with a big beard, not just a regular beard. They are what I was looking for that the Bendix tried, but didn't succeed in doing well, which is make the sound a bit more interesting without overdoing it, similar to how the solid state HEADA manages, but a bit more still. I have the Tungsol 6SN7 in there too at the moment though, which has just a small touch of melody about its presentation. 

The more mellow tubes are nice with the top-end of the HE1000s, but the bottom-end is already quite there, so it is a bit overwhelming. I should probably even things up a bit and put the 5692 back in instead as too much of a good thing I find fatiguing. Without having a similar TOTL amp here to compare, it is hard to say otherwise how well it is doing with the HE1000s. I don't have any complaints though, it is the kind of fast amp necessary for them and a distinct jump from the direct output of the Hugo.

You want a British 6V6, try a Brimar. A bit "tubey" for some, but a classic, rich, almost technicolor mid-range that is the essence of what many people seek in a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back