ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,368 of 1,380
The way you phrase it seem like you were asking if this was voiced using ZMF headphones thus my answer to you.
Yes all good thank you for replying.🙏

It was more like another question that crystallised out of your answer, no offence.😉

It's not easy to find an amp that offers such a good choice of freely available tubes at the same time.😇

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,369 of 1,380
Hello,
@TomSix

Sorry to hear about Jim,my condolences.
And good luck finding a new technician and clearing out the house.

I understand you are busy and no harm in replying later.

Saw this amp by accident and what you read is good.

I still have a few questions.

Are there any references to Zmf headphones?

We have a German distributor in Germany, my search revealed, would he be available or is the construction also currently stopped, if he would not have any more in stock?

Are the Ob 2 tubes readily available like the other tubes?

I will continue to browse this forum until then to find out more.
It could possibly be the amp I am looking for.
6v6 tubes are really cream to my ears.
Somehow I love what these tubes bring across tonally.

OB2 tubes are easily available. There are some really wonderful OB2's from both American and European manufacturers.

I've used the 300ohm ZMF Verite open headphone for a few years with the Studio Six. It's an excellent pairing.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #1,370 of 1,380
Hello,
@TomSix

Sorry to hear about Jim,my condolences.
And good luck finding a new technician and clearing out the house.

I understand you are busy and no harm in replying later.

Saw this amp by accident and what you read is good.

I still have a few questions.

Are there any references to Zmf headphones?

We have a German distributor in Germany, my search revealed, would he be available or is the construction also currently stopped, if he would not have any more in stock?

Are the Ob 2 tubes readily available like the other tubes?

I will continue to browse this forum until then to find out more.
It could possibly be the amp I am looking for.
6v6 tubes are really cream to my ears.
Somehow I love what these tubes bring across tonally.
Thank you indeed, for your kind regards, and for your questions.

It would be extremely unlikely that ALO could find someone who can adequately fill the place left by Jim. I suspect it would/will take at least *two* very talented and productive people, to even come close to adequately fulfilling the core duties which Jim performed so competently and efficiently for ALO.

I do understand there are still Studio-Six amplifier units in stock for sale at ALO, but do not believe any more are being actively built at the moment. I am uncertain whether any Studio-Six amplifiers are being sent to retail distributors these days, and am also uncertain what number of units might still exist in the inventories of retail distributors.

FYI: I am the circuit designer of the Studio-Six and the matching phono stage. I collaborated with ALO for a period years ago in a limited capacity, but I am not a representative of ALO nor directly/formally associated with them presently. I’m just mentioning this for clarity.

Yes, new-old-stock 0B2 tubes, as Robert has correctly commented, are relatively plentiful in availability, and can be obtained at quite reasonable prices. There are no worries about the supply of this tube.

The 6V6 output tubes: this is the absolute best power tube choice I have found for headphone amplifier application. Many other types of power tubes were considered and tried for comparison in the Studio-Six circuit development phase, but none tried could produce results of subjective merit equal to that produced by the 6V6 in triode-connected mode.

And, as Robert has also noted: yes, headphones with such specifications as associated with the various ZMF series should be driven very well by the Studio-Six. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,372 of 1,380
Thank you indeed, for your kind regards, and for your questions.

I would be extremely unlikely that ALO could find someone who can adequately fill the place left by Jim. I suspect it would/will take at least *two* very talented and productive people, to even come close to adequately fulfilling the core duties which Jim performed so competently and efficiently for ALO.

I do understand there are still Studio-Six amplifier units in stock for sale at ALO, but do not believe any more are being actively built at the moment. I am uncertain whether any Studio-Six amplifiers are being sent to retail distributors these days, and am also uncertain what number of units might still exist in the inventories of retail distributors.

FYI: I am the circuit designer of the Studio-Six and the matching phono stage. I collaborated with ALO for a period years ago in a limited capacity, but I am not a representative of ALO nor directly/formally associated with them presently. I’m just mentioning this for clarity.

Yes, new-old-stock 0B2 tubes, as Robert has correctly commented, are relatively plentiful in availability, and can be obtained at quite reasonable prices. There are no worries about the supply of this tube.

The 6V6 output tubes: this is the absolute best power tube choice I have found for headphone amplifier application. Many other types of power tubes were considered and tried for comparison in the Studio-Six circuit development phase, but none tried could produce results of subjective merit equal to that produced by the 6V6 in triode-connected mode.

And, as Robert has also noted: yes, headphones with such specifications as associated with the various ZMF series should be driven very well by the Studio-Six. :relaxed:
Hello @TomSix

Thank you for your feedback.

It's a real shame and I'm very sorry that the company might not be able to continue.

You would have to check out shops somewhere in Europe that still have one in stock or are lucky enough to have one on the second-hand market.

But with this sad story, it's more like it's not what I'm looking for in the end.
If something should happen with the amplifier, you're all alone.
That would annoy me.
Should it still go on somehow let us know.
Then I would definitely think about the Studio 6.

All the amps I've found so far have had similar horrible scars or people have gone into well-deserved retirement.

It's not easy when you're looking for something off the commercial radar that's going to stand the test of time.

Apr 9, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,373 of 1,380
Hello @TomSix

Thank you for your feedback.

It's a real shame and I'm very sorry that the company might not be able to continue.

You would have to check out shops somewhere in Europe that still have one in stock or are lucky enough to have one on the second-hand market.

But with this sad story, it's more like it's not what I'm looking for in the end.
If something should happen with the amplifier, you're all alone.
That would annoy me.
Should it still go on somehow let us know.
Then I would definitely think about the Studio 6.

All the amps I've found so far have had similar horrible scars or people have gone into well-deserved retirement.

It's not easy when you're looking for something off the commercial radar that's going to stand the test of time.

I do understand your concerns.

Please also realize however, as of June 13 of this year, the Studio-Six will have been in continuous production for 10 years. This is an unusually long production run for *any* audiophile product.

It is surely worth noting: the Studio-Six is very conservatively overbuilt, in a way similar to the approaches used in military and aerospace electronics design. I do know the failure/repair rate among all units delivered (other than vacuum tube failure/replacement) over the last 10-years has been *considerably* under 5%.

The Studio-Six uses no integrated circuits. There is a surgistor and a low-voltage bridge rectifier, otherwise there are no other solid-state devices used. There are no microprocessors, touch screens, switching power supply modules nor any other such relatively finite-lifespan or and/or high-obsolescence-rate components.

The Studio-Six could easily be serviced by any experienced tube guitar amplifier repair person, and all parts used are currently available and/or can be substituted fairly easily. As such, the Studio-Six is about as “obsolescence proof” as near any audiophile equipment one might find on the market today.

Noteworthy also: Studio-Six units which occasionally appear on the pre-owned market seldom sell for less than $2,500 USD, and so the average resale value of these amplifiers has remained quite respectable and stable through time..

But, absolutely. One must be comfortable with their multi-thousand-dollar purchases and wisely balance one‘s priorities. I certainly cannot promise the ALO Studio-Six will be offered on the market for another 10-years, and indeed it may well not be.

I do sincerely wish you well in seeking and finding a quality tube headphone amplifier which resonates with your tastes, and which might bring you lasting listening enjoyment :)

Thanks again, for your expressions of kind regard and for your thoughtful questions and comments.

—Thomas

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,374 of 1,380
I do understand your concerns.

Please also realize however, as of June 13 of this year, the Studio-Six will have been in continuous production for 10 years. This is an unusually long production run for *any* audiophile product.

It is surely worth noting: the Studio-Six is very conservatively overbuilt, in a way similar to the approaches used in military and aerospace electronics design. I do know the failure/repair rate among all units delivered (other than vacuum tube failure/replacement) over the last 10-years has been *considerably* under 5%.

The Studio-Six uses no integrated circuits. There is a surgistor and a low-voltage bridge rectifier, otherwise there are no other solid-state devices used. There are no microprocessors, touch screens, switching power supply modules nor any other such relatively finite-lifespan or and/or high-obsolescence-rate components.

The Studio-Six could easily be serviced by any experienced tube guitar amplifier repair person, and all parts used are currently available and/or can be substituted fairly easily. As such, the Studio-Six is about as “obsolescence proof” as near any audiophile equipment one might find on the market today.

Noteworthy also: Studio-Six units which occasionally appear on the pre-owned market seldom sell for less than $2,500 USD, and so the average resale value of these amplifiers has remained quite respectable and stable through time..

But, absolutely. One must be comfortable with their multi-thousand-dollar purchases and wisely balance one‘s priorities. I certainly cannot promise the ALO Studio-Six will be offered on the market for another 10-years, and indeed it may well not be.

I do sincerely wish you well in seeking and finding a quality tube headphone amplifier which resonates with your tastes, and which might bring you lasting listening enjoyment :)

Thanks again, for your expressions of kind regard and for your thoughtful questions and comments.

—Thomas
Hello @TomSix,

thanks again for the feedback.

Really remarkable statistics regarding the failure rate.
It also shows that the work was done cleanly.

I'll be honest, the concept that was built up 10 years ago still convinces me.
It's also nice to hear that it's easy to repair, which is always good and reassuring.

The design of the circuit and the choice of tubes is fantastic and still modern today, and the sound is also very good. And the tubes are not overly expensive and still very well available, that's the great thing about them.

I use the Feliks Euforia with adapted 6v6 and, depending on what I feel like, 7236, 6080 or 5889 tubes at the output.
The amplifier is actually not necessarily designed to be able to use such tubes, but it does.
And the 6v6 tubes have convinced me and I find them better than 6SN7 from a sound perspective.
They simply present the instruments better which suits my personal ears.
I also think that 6v6 tubes sound a bit better when the circuitry is designed for them, I would say better performance.

However, if I could find an EU version I would not be averse to buying it and I would be weak accordingly.
Since it was also built by Jim hands, I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.
I still hope that Alo somehow finds a way to continue.
And maybe she can bring more products onto the market with her personal competence.
They thought very far ahead back then and the success proves them right, I have to say.

Kind regards and many thanks.

Ps: If at some point you don't know where to put the circuit diagram, I would give it to a tube builder who can build one for me. :hugging:

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,375 of 1,380
Hello @TomSix,

thanks again for the feedback.

Really remarkable statistics regarding the failure rate.
It also shows that the work was done cleanly.

I'll be honest, the concept that was built up 10 years ago still convinces me.
It's also nice to hear that it's easy to repair, which is always good and reassuring.

The design of the circuit and the choice of tubes is fantastic and still modern today, and the sound is also very good. And the tubes are not overly expensive and still very well available, that's the great thing about them.

I use the Feliks Euforia with adapted 6v6 and, depending on what I feel like, 7236, 6080 or 5889 tubes at the output.
The amplifier is actually not necessarily designed to be able to use such tubes, but it does.
And the 6v6 tubes have convinced me and I find them better than 6SN7 from a sound perspective.
They simply present the instruments better which suits my personal ears.
I also think that 6v6 tubes sound a bit better when the circuitry is designed for them, I would say better performance.

However, if I could find an EU version I would not be averse to buying it and I would be weak accordingly.
Since it was also built by Jim hands, I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.
I still hope that Alo somehow finds a way to continue.
And maybe she can bring more products onto the market with her personal competence.
They thought very far ahead back then and the success proves them right, I have to say.

Kind regards and many thanks.

Ps: If at some point you don't know where to put the circuit diagram, I would give it to a tube builder who can build one for me. :hugging:
Yes, the 6SN7 is a good tube, though in truth it’s a bit more comfortable in the role of driver tube than in being asked to perform the role of power output tube 😉

Indeed, ALO is probably unlikely to casually release the Studio-Six circuit diagrams, but I’m sure many DIY enthusiasts would appreciate such a courtesy —Ha!

With some effort, I do trust if you could find a good local tube builder to work with you, it would be feasible to construct a quite nice sounding triode-connected 6V6 headphone amplifier on a custom basis. Just always do bear in mind: for the highest performance, a considerable number of finer and interacting details of design will have crucial importance in determining the absolute level of reproduction quality achieved.

I do appreciate the way you are analyzing the situation, and carefully considering your needs, tastes and preferences.

Thanks indeed for sharing your experiences and thoughts

—Thomas

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #1,376 of 1,380
Anyone know or thinking of selling their 220-240v version? I am located in Australia and looking for one.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #1,377 of 1,380
Thinking about getting a tube headphone amp to complement my wonderful ST6 but with a different flavor. What do you think would be an output tube with different qualities than our beloved 6v6 as implemented in the ST6? To clarify, from what I read the EAR Hp4 would be quite similar to the ST6 in terms of sound, so I don’t think it would make much sense to get that amp.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,378 of 1,380
Thinking about getting a tube headphone amp to complement my wonderful ST6 but with a different flavor. What do you think would be an output tube with different qualities than our beloved 6v6 as implemented in the ST6? To clarify, from what I read the EAR Hp4 would be quite similar to the ST6 in terms of sound, so I don’t think it would make much sense to get that amp.

I got a Cayin HA-300B MKII in September of this year. A fantastic complement to the Studio Six.

My DAC outputs in both single-ended RCA and balanced XLR. I run the RCAs into the Studio Six and the XLRs into the Cayin HA-300B MKII. So easy and convenient.

Good luck!

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,379 of 1,380
I got a Cayin HA-300B MKII in September of this year. A fantastic complement to the Studio Six.

My DAC outputs in both single-ended RCA and balanced XLR. I run the RCAs into the Studio Six and the XLRs into the Cayin HA-300B MKII. So easy and convenient.

Good luck!
Nice! I never had a chance to listen to the revered 300b. Thanks for your input!

ps I too have a fully balanced dac but I‘m pretty sure the manufacturer advised against using both rca and xlr at the same time (meaning that I’d have to unplug one or the other before use). You may want to double check that this is not the case for your dac.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,380 of 1,380
Nice! I never had a chance to listen to the revered 300b. Thanks for your input!

ps I too have a fully balanced dac but I‘m pretty sure the manufacturer advised against using both rca and xlr at the same time (meaning that I’d have to unplug one or the other before use). You may want to double check that this is not the case for your dac.
Yes, I'm able to have both single-ended and balanced connections connected at the same time. But my DAC doesn't operate both at the same time. It has individual relays that turn off and on as desired for each output. The idea being to eliminate any crosstalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back