ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #466 of 1,380
  those are bendix 5992?  what are you using for the 6sn7 and the ob2?

6SN7 is a JAN Sylvania, the ob2's are stock

May 21, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #467 of 1,380
Interested in pairing this up with my HD-800 and LM502CA dac. Are there any updates to report?

May 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #468 of 1,380
i only have the s6 for a couple months.  don't have anything experience with the dac.  i like it with hd800 but i don't use hd800 enough.  or at least when i use hd800, i prefer ss.  and people here seems to like the s6 with audeze

May 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #470 of 1,380
Thanks fhuang. Yes, I relocated to Hong Kong just over six years ago. I will be spending this summer in Toronto but I will have the voltage issue if I try to bring an amp back with me to HK.

I did see it at DMA and that is the reason why I started looking into this amp. I will try to go there again in a couple of weeks because I would also like to try the Bryston BHA1, which they are waiting to restock again.

The more I research, the more complicated it gets. I am now also reading up on the Cavali Liquid Gold. I should start up a thread soon...

But I need to limit my purchase to one that I can hopefully buy locally to avoid the huge shipping costs of the heavy equipment.

May 24, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #471 of 1,380
  Thanks fhuang. Yes, I relocated to Hong Kong just over six years ago. I will be spending this summer in Toronto but I will have the voltage issue if I try to bring an amp back with me to HK.

I did see it at DMA and that is the reason why I started looking into this amp. I will try to go there again in a couple of weeks because I would also like to try the Bryston BHA1, which they are waiting to restock again.

The more I research, the more complicated it gets. I am now also reading up on the Cavali Liquid Gold. I should start up a thread soon...

But I need to limit my purchase to one that I can hopefully buy locally to avoid the huge shipping costs of the heavy equipment.

you can't really compare the ss, bha1, to the tube, very tubey sounding s6.  besides, i don't think they're in the same league.  and if you need a voltage switch.  why not a woo, which i think most(if not all) of woo amps have a switch or a red wine audio, which they sell battary powered devices.

May 24, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #472 of 1,380
Thought the studio six wasn't supposed to be tubey sounding

May 24, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #473 of 1,380
It isn't, but there are plenty of tubey-sounding tubes out there. I rolled the Tung Sol 6SN7GT back in to take the edge off the HE1000s. I'll probably go back to the red base 5962 at some point. 

I suppose the way to describe the Studio Six is that it is purely about performance and nothing else. It just happens to have a bunch of tubes sticking out of the top.

May 24, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #474 of 1,380
i only use 6v6gt and rca 6sn7 and rca gz34 so my s6 is very tubey.  even more tubey than my wa5, using mullard gz34, sylvania vt231 and either kr300b or psvane 300b

and, you guys sounded like tubey is bad

May 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #475 of 1,380
  It isn't, but there are plenty of tubey-sounding tubes out there. I rolled the Tung Sol 6SN7GT back in to take the edge off the HE1000s. I'll probably go back to the red base 5962 at some point. 

I suppose the way to describe the Studio Six is that it is purely about performance and nothing else. It just happens to have a bunch of tubes sticking out of the top.

how is the HE1000 / S6 combo so far for ya?

May 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #476 of 1,380
The Studio Six is only overtly "Tubey" with the right tubes. It is excellent with the HD800's. It also pairs well with the LCD-X and Alpha Prime. I am well into my review and I am impressed at its verstility. I did roll some 6SN7's and a variety of 5U4G variants. Like different frosting on a great cake.

BTW, the Phono Pre amp is fabulous too. The Dynavector is loving that amp.

May 29, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #477 of 1,380
I'm considering purchasing a Studio Six to pair with an MSB Analog DAC and LCD-X.  Does anyone here have any experience with this combo?  Also, my main interest in the Studio Six is that I am told it plays well at low volumes.  With my current Auralic Taurus Mkii amp, you have to crank it up pretty loud to make it sound good which I am not happy about.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

May 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #478 of 1,380
  I'm considering purchasing a Studio Six to pair with an MSB Analog DAC and LCD-X.  Does anyone here have any experience with this combo?  Also, my main interest in the Studio Six is that I am told it plays well at low volumes.  With my current Auralic Taurus Mkii amp, you have to crank it up pretty loud to make it sound good which I am not happy about.  Any input would be greatly appreciated

The Studio Six and the LCD-X pair beautifully. I cannot comment on the MSB DAC. I am using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse with Dual Femto clocks and the combination is stunning. 

May 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #479 of 1,380
  I'm considering purchasing a Studio Six to pair with an MSB Analog DAC and LCD-X.  Does anyone here have any experience with this combo?  Also, my main interest in the Studio Six is that I am told it plays well at low volumes.  With my current Auralic Taurus Mkii amp, you have to crank it up pretty loud to make it sound good which I am not happy about.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I do have both Studio Six and Taurus mkII - DAC is Vega + Aries. I do prefer the Studio Six over Taurus, the former bringing music more fluid and lively. But LCD-X is not my choice to combine with the ALO. That's why i sold it... LCD-2/3 or XC are better partners. Don't forget Grado PS-500 - it's a real musical combo. But my favorite is the LCD-3 Classic version!!!

Taurus is more technical sounding - not worse - but depending mood or focus, you can switch between these amps. I'll keep both if I was you (or me :wink: !

May 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #480 of 1,380
I know the W4S Dac 2 well having once owned it.  I understand the SE upgrade made it all the more excellent.  I'm glad you like the pairing with the LCD-X as I prefer the sound signature of those headphones over the LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back