AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #3,421 of 3,616
I completely agree with this. These days, all the IEMs are pretty good with respect to the price point, especially within the same manufacturer like Aur. One is not necessarily better than the other, but just different flavor altogether.
Just because of that, if they are different flavor altogether, I can like one of them and not like the other.

It can be said than Aurora is a smother NP too, it is warmer, with DD bass and less treble.

But I love the NP and I don't like the Aurora... I am not saying the Aurora is bad, only I subjectively don't like it.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #3,422 of 3,616
Just because of that, if they are different flavor altogether, I can like one of them and not like the other.

It can be said than Aurora is a smother NP too, it is warmer, with DD bass and less treble.

But I love the NP and I don't like the Aurora... I am not saying the Aurora is bad, only I subjectively don't like it.

What don't you like about the Aurora relative to the Neon Pro ?

I am talking with Nicholas about ordering a set of Aurora to have the qualities that others have said here, organic midrange etc.

Anybody have Aurora and Penon Fan 2 ?

Fan 2 get a lot of love and are praised for the midrange but I hated it due to a lack of upper midrange energy which made female vocals and guitars etc sound lacking crispness and bite to my ear.

I don't read about the Aurora being that way but would appreciate comments from owners of both

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #3,423 of 3,616
Anybody have Aurora and Penon Fan 2 ?
I sold my Fan 2 long ago, Fan 2 has more of a thick low midrange than Aurora. Aurora have a more neutral midrange, and are better on brighter vocals than dark. Never shouty or tiresome, but again can lack that low mid thickness that some of us love(including me)

Back when I had Fan 2 I actually preffered its sibling ISN H30. Same drivers except for the two small DDs changed for a larger and faster beryllium driver, less midrange bleed and more sub bass extension. It also had less dampening on the top so it had better resolution and cleaner sound.

The one closest to Fan 2 sound must be Ascension, but can't really say as its almost a year since I had it.

1000035287.png

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #3,424 of 3,616
I sold my Fan 2 long ago, Fan 2 has more of a thick low midrange than Aurora. Aurora have a more neutral midrange, and are better one brighter vocals than dark. Never shouty or tiresome, but again can lack that low mid thickness that some of us love(including me)

Back when I had Fan 2 I actually preffered its sibling ISN H30. Same drivers except for the two small DDs changed for a larger and faster beryllium driver, less midrange bleed and more sub bass extension. It also had less dampening on the top so it had better resolution and cleaner sound.

The one closest to Fan 2 sound must be Ascension, but can't really say as its almost a year since I had it.

Thanks Leonard, neutral midrange is good for me, I really didn’t like the Fan 2 midrange, the rest was fine.

Edited to add: Leonard, I remembered your review of the Aurora which I just read. The direct comparison with the Neon Pro was very useful, thanks again.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #3,425 of 3,616
What don't you like about the Aurora relative to the Neon Pro ?

I am talking with Nicholas about ordering a set of Aurora to have the qualities that others have said here, organic midrange etc.
NP is more energetic, and has much better technicalities than Aurora.

Aurora mid bass is a bit soft, low midrange is too organic/warm/bloated for me, it sounds like a bit muddy because of that And its treble is too relaxed, I need a bit more energy there, and more details.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #3,426 of 3,616
NP is more energetic, and has much better technicalities than Aurora.

Aurora mid bass is a bit soft, low midrange is too organic/warm/bloated for me, it sounds like a bit muddy because of that And its treble is too relaxed, I need a bit more energy there, and more details.
While i agree on NP's energy vs Aurora, I have to beg to defer on the muddiness. None of Aur iems have any "muddiness" in the sound. I get that you like treble energy but I fear NP is the only one in the range to have the treble you desire. On another note, having tame treble does not necessarily mean no details just look at Alita which is not intense but having tons of details.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #3,427 of 3,616
While i agree on NP's energy vs Aurora, I have to beg to defer on the muddiness. None of Aur iems have any "muddiness" in the sound. I get that you like treble energy but I fear NP is the only one in the range to have the treble you desire. On another note, having tame treble does not necessarily mean no details just look at Alita which is not intense but having tons of details.
Sorry, but for me, Aurora has muddiness in the sound. I have to reduce the low mids in 2 dBs to avoid that muddiness that makes the sound a bit bloated and slow. I am talking about myself. You can hear different, of course. And I am not saying Aurora sounds bad... I am only speaking about the things I don't like about the Aurora, but I think it sounds OK, extremely coherent. It is the #13 in my ranking list.

And of course the NP is not the only one in the range with the treble I like. I like a lot of IEMs with great treble energy like Monarch MK3, 64a U4s, KSE1200, Timeless, S12,...

And I am not saying that having tame treble means no details. I am saying that Aurora has less details than NP, and less treble than I usually like. I am talking about Aurora, not any other, and of course not Alita (I haven't tried Alita).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #3,428 of 3,616
Sorry, but for me, Aurora has muddiness in the sound. I have to reduce the low mids in 2 dBs to avoid that muddiness that makes the sound a bit bloated and slow. I am talking about myself. You can hear different, of course.

And of course the NP is not the only one in the range with the treble I like. I like a lot of IEMs with great treble energy like Monarch MK3, 64a U4s, KSE1200, Timeless, S12,...

And I am not saying that having tame treble means no details. I am saying that Aurora has less details than NP, and less treble than I usually like. I am talking about Aurora, not any other, and of course not Alita (I haven't tried Alita).
Think its just different how people hear things, I find NP unnatural and too thin with switch down and then Aurora has more natural midrange than NP off. Also NP can be to bright for me and borderline shouty, again different what we are sensetive to.

But I agree NP is slightly more resolving than Aurora, except for the low end. I also think the early agressive pina adds to perceived resolution, Aurora don't have this.

A reason why we all prefer different sets, we are not the same. And that is OK 😁

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #3,429 of 3,616
Think its just different how people hear things, I find NP unnatural and too thin with switch down and then Aurora has more natural midrange than NP off. Also NP can be to bright for me and borderline shouty, again different what we are sensetive to.

But I agree NP is slightly more resolving than Aurora, except for the low end.

A reason why we all prefer different sets, we are not the same. And that is OK 😁
Of course. We are saying the same things.
I was replaying the question BS5711 asked me, just that.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #3,430 of 3,616

But I agree NP is slightly more resolving than Aurora, except for the low end. I also think the early agressive pina adds to perceived resolution, Aurora don't have this.

I only had a short try with @Nosibilance 's Aurora at CanJam. I thought the timbre was very natural with a very nice midrange. Reminds me of the IE900. The good part of the IE900. The Alita was another level with the mids.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #3,431 of 3,616
I only had a short try with @Nosibilance 's Aurora at CanJam. I thought the timbre was very natural with a very nice midrange. Reminds me of the IE900. The good part of the IE900. The Alita was another level with the mids.
Alita is excellent and manages the resolving side without being any bright, if not for my love for dynamic drivers it would have been my favorite AüR.

1000032396.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #3,432 of 3,616
Having owned 3 and tried another 2 Aur IEMs. I can safely make a statement. Abel is a master at tuning the mids. Totally underrated.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #3,433 of 3,616
Something is missing in this discussion … what eartips do you guys use lead to different sonic perception.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #3,434 of 3,616
I am using the stock ones on all of them. I tried various short stem wide bores. None of them made a difference. The stock ones sound great and are very comfortable.

The only other IEM that I own where the stock is the best option, is the Elysian Gaea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back