AÜR AUDIO IEMs
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #3,406 of 3,616
Thanks for this Nik, very insightful!

For sweet, organic, female vocals like country music, guitar strings, and a bit of jazz, no K-Pop, would you recommend the Ascension over the Aurora?
Probably Ascension, yes. Guitars are livelier, female vocals are more upfront, and technicalities are a decent leap above Aurora's.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #3,407 of 3,616
In my book the Ascension has significantly less amounts of bass than eg. the Neon Pro (or IE900 you mentioned). Have not heard the Aurora, but if you are looking for heavy amounts of bass in particular the Ascension at least might not fit your bill...

Like helloh3adfi I don’t hear it that way either.

To my ear the Neon Pro (with the switch off) has a bit less bass, less sub bass and less refinement and texture/ nuance to the bass and of course tactile bass impact that is felt. Oddly I don’t actually like the impact feeling, I prefer sound without the sensation but it isn’t a big deal either.

The additional sub bass of the Ascension was what immediately stood out to me at very first listen.

Switch on I guess they are comparable in term of bass quantity but I hear the Neon Pro with the switch on sounds a bit forced to me like the bass is artificially boosted beyond what the drivers and tuning are really designed for and it seems therefore to muddy the midrange and doesn’t have the DD bass refinement of the Ascension.

Needless to say I use Neon Pro with the switch off which to me seems to be their natural tune. Like the switch on boosts bass from what I perceive as their natural tune rather than the switch off reducing bass from their natural tune.

I kind of see the Ascension as a design progression from the Neon Pro with the DD refining the bass and the EST refining the treble.

If nothing else it shows just how subjective this all is.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #3,408 of 3,616
Scarlet Mini for K-Pop, you say? I like a rebel that blazes their own trail. Tip of the cap to you!
Haha yeah ... and Clarion wide-bore tips for enhanced treble, but I'm still tip rolling this thing. The Scarlet Mini is a bit brighter and more detailed than the Maestro Mini, the bass is equally or even more explosive, but I can only listen to it for like 10-15 minutes with a smiley face and that's it for the day.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #3,409 of 3,616
In my book the Ascension has significantly less amounts of bass than eg. the Neon Pro (or IE900 you mentioned). Have not heard the Aurora, but if you are looking for heavy amounts of bass in particular the Ascension at least might not fit your bill...
Thanks - I'm looking for midrange forward and focus on female voices, sweet and organic.

For bass, I already have the Maestro Mini and Scarlet Mini, and am eyeing at the new Symphonium TItan as well. My goal is to own all the Singapore trio: Aur Ascension, Fatfreq Scarlet Mini (will be selling the Maestro Mini), and Symphonium Titan. I grew up there, would be nice to support local brands haha ...

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #3,410 of 3,616
Probably Ascension, yes. Guitars are livelier, female vocals are more upfront, and technicalities are a decent leap above Aurora's.
Thanks Nik! Will be placing an order soon!

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #3,411 of 3,616
Thanks - I'm looking for midrange forward and focus on female voices, sweet and organic.

For bass, I already have the Maestro Mini and Scarlet Mini, and am eyeing at the new Symphonium TItan as well. My goal is to own all the Singapore trio: Aur Ascension, Fatfreq Scarlet Mini (will be selling the Maestro Mini), and Symphonium Titan. I grew up there, would be nice to support local brands haha ...
You should add IMR Enigma to your list. It's exactly what you are looking for: very powerful bass with forward and very warm vocals without loosing any details. I'm sure you will be blown away by Enigma. I had Ascension until last week and I can tell you that I have been so much impressed by Enigma that I immediately sold Ascension because I know that I would not listen to it anymore

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #3,413 of 3,616
You should add IMR Enigma to your list. It's exactly what you are looking for: very powerful bass with forward and very warm vocals without loosing any details. I'm sure you will be blown away by Enigma. I had Ascension until last week and I can tell you that I have been so much impressed by Enigma that I immediately sold Ascension because I know that I would not listen to it anymore
Never tried Enigma, but according to DingDongMonster Aetha can satisfy bassheads too.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #3,414 of 3,616
Switch on I guess they are comparable in term of bass quantity but I hear the Neon Pro with the switch on sounds a bit forced to me like the bass is artificially boosted beyond what the drivers and tuning are really designed for and it seems therefore to muddy the midrange and doesn’t have the DD bass refinement of the Ascension.

Needless to say I use Neon Pro with the switch off which to me seems to be their natural tune. Like the switch on boosts bass from what I perceive as their natural tune rather than the switch off reducing bass from their natural tune.

I kind of see the Ascension as a design progression from the Neon Pro with the DD refining the bass and the EST refining the treble.
I think the same as you about the NP switch on. I like it with the switch off.

But I am surprised about your opinion about Ascension. Most people who knows I like the NP has said to me that Ascension is not for me. I am looking for a NP with a good DD for bass, but everyone with both IEMs has said to me that Ascension is not what I am looking for...

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #3,417 of 3,616
Good luck with your sale but suggest to promote in IMR thread instead 😉.
I was not promoting my listing but just replying to the comment that Enigma is 3 times the price of Ascension

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #3,418 of 3,616
I think the same as you about the NP switch on. I like it with the switch off.

But I am surprised about your opinion about Ascension. Most people who knows I like the NP has said to me that Ascension is not for me. I am looking for a NP with a good DD for bass, but everyone with both IEMs has said to me that Ascension is not what I am looking for...

I guess everyone has different preferences but to my ear the Ascension is a slightly smoother and more "refined" (if that is even the right word) Neon Pro with "better" or maybe just different bass nuance and more delicate treble and generally "wetter" overall feel that is less harsh, not that the Neon Pro is harsh but as a point of comparison between them.

I just listened to a couple of songs back to back with Neon Pro and Ascension and I stand by my comments that the Ascension is a smoother Neon Pro with DD bass and refined EST treble.

One isn't better per se just different but frankly I don't know how you wouldn't like the Ascension if you like the Neon pro. They are in the same general vein not massively different sound signatures, at least not to my ear.

Swapping from either to say my IE600 or Campfire Solaris is an immediately obvious change in sound signature very much more so than swapping between each other.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #3,419 of 3,616
No. I have 2 and selling one at 999 euros in the listing

Actually yes, at new prices the IMR is literally three times the price, marginally more actually.

What you are selling a used set for is kind of immaterial, someone else might be selling a set of Ascension at half their new cost (as you are with Enigma it seems) which would still make the IMR three times the price.

This stuff is all so subjective it is largely pointless saying something is better suited to somebody unless both parties have a very clear frame of reference that they both can relate to.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #3,420 of 3,616
I guess everyone has different preferences but to my ear the Ascension is a slightly smoother and more refined Neon Pro with better bass nuance and more delicate treble and generally "wetter" overall feel that is less harsh, not that the Neon Pro is harsh but as a point of comparison between them.

I just listened to a couple of songs back to back with Neon Pro and Ascension and I stand by my comments that the Ascension is a smoother Neon Pro with DD bass and refined EST treble.

One isn't better per se just different but frankly I don't know how you wouldn't like the Ascension if you like the Neon pro. They are in the same general vein not massively different sound signatures, at least not to my ear.

Swapping from either to say my IE600 or Campfire Solaris is an immediately obvious change in sound signature very much more so than swapping between each other.
I completely agree with this. These days, all the IEMs are pretty good with respect to the price point, especially within the same manufacturer like Aur. One is not necessarily better than the other, but just different flavor altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back