Zune80 or Ipod80
Jan 10, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 97
Love the Zune SQ. And it is a sleek machine. The screen is fantastic, and I could care less about the EQ.

My main problem with the software is it keeps duplicating some random tracks (and one entire CD) and form me no solution works, not re-tagging, not anything. It's the same CD, Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon, by James Taylor. No matter how I get it on my HD (ripped, downloaded, etc.), the stupid software keeps adding it to the Zune every time I disconnect and reconnet the Zune (you would have unlimited copies of those tracks, if you didn't know it was happening). Worst part? The Zune menu shows it on the screen (all the dupes), but the Zune Software only shows it as being on the Zune only once.

Only solution right now: Download the Zune HD patch, and manually delete the dupes using WinXP explorer. The patch is great, because you can use the Zune as an HD, which you can't do otherwise. Very cool app.

Got to think MS is going to fix the Zune software sooner or later, but hey, look at Vista...

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #18 of 97
First Zune 80 I bought had an issue where the hard disk spinning up and reading would produce some sort of interference. I thought the unit was just defective so I returned it for another. The second unit was fine at first but after about a month had started to produce the interference like the first. Its annoying that it comes up and only happens in between songs because the hard disk spins down to conserve battery. Some others were saying they have this issue too. If i hook up the K701 I hear the problem less than the IEMs that come with the Zune 80. Overall, I still like the Zune because of SQ but I don't really trust MS quality now.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #19 of 97
I also had an issue with hearing the internal HD spin-up/down on the Zune 80 through the headphones. The SQ was okay, but it sounded a bit "shrill" to my ears. I didn't like it. The software is HORRIBLE. No use as an external USB drive. The screen may be bigger, but it is the same resolution as the iPod 6G - 320x240. So the iPod screens are sharper, though a bit smaller. I'm loving my iPod 6G 160GB, you can't hear the HD spin-up/down through the headphones, and there is no hiss!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkems /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to my ears, the ipod classic's sound is definitely not as nice as the zune 80's or the D2, Zen 4/8/16/32, the new sony players and even the first gen shuffle.

go for the zune.

it sounds just like you don't like ipods. the sq is not inferior to any you have mentioned, jsut a different taste. i have the sony, d2 and shuffle and they all sound good but different to eachother however out of those 3, the shuffle and sony seem to share more in common - bigger soundstage and great bass and bad hiss. the d2 hisses only a little - a little less than the 1g nano and less than the touch. i prefer the soundstage of the touch, but they all have great sound.

the only thing that would make me choose the ipod to the zune is usability. the ipod can be used by more than one os and has better online distribution of music. they both are fantastic nice looking players. the new zune flash is sexy but since op wants 80g then only really 2 choices. both players are very good on their outputs stage. the zune may hiss just a little less than the ipod 6g. i would choose based on itunes versu wm player. which you like, you should go.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghiasays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First Zune 80 I bought had an issue where the hard disk spinning up and reading would produce some sort of interference. I thought the unit was just defective so I returned it for another. The second unit was fine at first but after about a month had started to produce the interference like the first. Its annoying that it comes up and only happens in between songs because the hard disk spins down to conserve battery. Some others were saying they have this issue too. If i hook up the K701 I hear the problem less than the IEMs that come with the Zune 80. Overall, I still like the Zune because of SQ but I don't really trust MS quality now.

I noticed this on mine as well, constant hard drive spinning/clicking noises and then the hard drive failed completely. It is currently at the repair center and who knows when I'll be getting it back. I only had it for 12 days! It sounded great and the interface is very cool to use but I'm not too confident about the hardware now.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 97
I love the way to zune looks and the zune originals. I would get a zune 80 or see if you can pick up a 5.5/5th gen and rockbox it.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 97
Definatly the zune 80 sounds better than the classic out of the headphone jack, more body and air and detail. Think the touch (sans eq) with less hiss. Very nice! All in all though the classic is one of the best ipods I have listened to, I'm with shig on this one, if you like Itunes get the classic, wmp- get the zune. I haven't had any problems with my hard drive, and I really hope I don't
biggrin.gif
and yes the zune software is a bit of a mess, I use it just to transfer stuff- no editing or play listing.

My faith in these big companies QC is very slim, being a big ipod fan myself just in the last 6 months I had a 3g nano with a crooked screen. A touch with the horrible negitive image problem with mucho hiss, and a second touch that replaced the screen problem with a broken home button- third one was golden. So it wouldn't suprise me if MS had issues with the new zunes, just look at the xbox 360
eek.gif
Sony seems maybe a little better reguarding QC . My dream dap would be a little smaller "touch " form factor with all the features of the touch, plus the zunes base SQ, and radio. 32 gigs flash, the battery life of a sony, and the eq set from cowon, plus mini sd card expandability, and a and a non scratch matt black back. Also, the combo of the zunes gui and the touchs, Oh, and throw in bluetooth
biggrin.gif
Oh, and also through in some tactile controls on the side that would be nice!!

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #26 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by assumenot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed this on mine as well, constant hard drive spinning/clicking noises and then the hard drive failed completely. It is currently at the repair center and who knows when I'll be getting it back. I only had it for 12 days! It sounded great and the interface is very cool to use but I'm not too confident about the hardware now.

At least you didn't get a red ring of death *glares at my xbox*

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #28 of 97
If I had to choose between the Zune 80 GB or the iPod Classic 80 GB, I'd take the iPod Classic for two reasons:

1) Tight intergration with the well-sorted iTunes interface software program (now up to Version 7.6).

2) The Click Wheel control is simple to master and use. The new Zune's player controls are better but it's not as elegant as the iPod interface.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 97
Is there like a line out on the Zune 80 that can be used to hook up to a headphone amp? Or do you just hook up a headphone amp through the headphone out of the Zune 80? Just curious since I might buy one of these later in the future.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to choose between the Zune 80 GB or the iPod Classic 80 GB, I'd take the iPod Classic for two reasons:

1) Tight intergration with the well-sorted iTunes interface software program (now up to Version 7.6).

2) The Click Wheel control is simple to master and use. The new Zune's player controls are better but it's not as elegant as the iPod interface.

I'd have to say the zune pad is a lot more organic compared to the clickwheel but it isn't enough to make you choose one or the other. They both are great control schemes. When it comes to the gui though the zune has the ipod beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back