Zune HD or Sansa Fuze v2
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kidgfoo

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, i am trying to get into this greater sound quality appreciation that you guys are into (audiophiles), slowly. I doubt that i'll get to audiophile status, but still like good sound. I lurk around here more than post, so please excuse my low post number. Now, my question to you guys is this.What should i get, a Sansa Fuze v2 or Zune HD.

I see it like this Fuze- Custom EQ, small, cheaper at $90 for 8 GB I believe, support for FLAC if i want to convert my music to FLAC.

Zune-Much bigger screen, I use the software, good SQ (better than ipod, not sure how it stacks up against the Fuze), HD radio.

I will be using to listen to when I do nothing, on trips as i am going to Washington frequently right now, and using it in my car when i drive (via headunit). keep the bold part in mind, as i want something that is safe to use while i drive. also, whichever one can drive a decent pair of headphones well, like the hippo shrooms EB,Denon AH-P372, and audio-technica sj3s. 

Another thing, the internet and apps from the zune are not important to me, although nice, and i dont plan on putting movies in unless i get the zune.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 10
I've never used a Fuze, so my comments will be Zune and iPod Touch only.

Latest generation iPod Touch is equal sound quality, though slightly different signature than the Zune (Zune darker, slightly harsher.. Touch brighter, but smoother). I have both. The software edge goes to Zune for sure. iTunes can either be great or a nightmare, while Zune is kind of ho-hum all the time. Zune is fairly adjustable, but iTunes you have to make sure you have it set up properly the first time (in regard to your library locations) or it can be a hassle. I originally had my music on a file server that was only connected wirelessly (fast enough for anything including blu-ray streaming), but syncing 25gb of music took a long time. I tried to change the directories to a local directory after I copied the files to the local computer, but found you couldn't change the directories in iTunes so I had to start over from scratch. If I'd have done it right the first time I'd have no complaints about iTunes aside from some intermittent pausing when I'm doing mass tags or mass artwork look up, but that is understandable.

Touch is more expensive, but you do get a whole new generation of tech compared to the year old Zune HD. Screen, processing speed, wifi, browser, device size, etc are all in favor of the iPod hands down. Zune has almost zero apps and while I know you said you don't really need them, it is something to consider. You never know when an app you never heard about changes your entire portable experience.

Long story short, iPod Touch is significantly better in all aspects except price and a slight advantage on software while having the same sound quality.

That's my review after having my 4G Touch for a little under a week. I've owned my Zune for about a year and will seriously consider moving to Zune HD 2 or whatever they call it if it does indeed come out in January. I use mp3 in V0 (highest quality variable) for my iPod collection. I have FLAC for my main rig, but anything more than V0 for a portable device is a waste.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 10
The EQ of the clip+ or fuze is pretty crappy and IMO unusable so the first thing you would want to do is Rockbox it.
The difference it makes to the EQ is pretty amazing.
Also if you rockbox it, you have the ability to play AAC or m4a (itunes) files as well.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 10
I was hugely disappointed with the Fuze v2.

Everyone spoke highly of the Clip and I was looking for a cheap but efficient DAP, but boy is the sound quality a downer. I went to that from an iPod Touch 3G and it was a night and day difference in the bad kind of way.

I'm getting a Touch 4G on Thursday and selling the Fuze to a friend who needs just a small cheap player. My list of players that I can recall go like this

Zune 30GB ~ Creative Zen --> iPod Touch 3G ~ Sony Ericsson K790a --> iPod Mini --> Sandisk Fuze v2 --> Blackberry Curve 8900

Oh yes, that's how much I've been disliking my Fuze... Trust me, it's not a "let it grow on you" or "burn in" thing, I've been using it almost every day for seven months... somewhat reluctantly.

The plus sides to it? I can accurately control it from my pocket, navigation is straight forward, drag 'n' drop syncing, it plays FLAC and it was cheap.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Fuze clip+ need to be amped to produce any good sound quality.

The zune HD isn't that great in sound qual.  I've had the previous and current HDs and the Sflow2 I have now just blow it out of the water (on both hp out and even more with line out+amp).

The other main issue is zune hd doesn't support flac.  A lot of my music is flac and It was limited by it.  It may influence your decision as well.  I'd recommend the sflow 2 instead like a douchebag but I understand its neither of your choices.  If I had to choose it would still be the sansa plus amping.  Zunehd sound qual wasn't an improvement over the previous zunes and the rest is just fluff.  In addition the equalizer is crucial.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 10
I was tthinking a bout a ipod touch 4g, but ive heard a bit of negativity toward the SQ. Can it drive decent headphones, like the ones i listed in my first post? what about the Zune?

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 10
I've listened to both Touch and Zune with my Portapros (60ohm) and my M9s (16ohm) and both were well driven. I could try my 300ohm HD600, but it won't be pretty.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I was tthinking a bout a ipod touch 4g, but ive heard a bit of negativity toward the SQ. Can it drive decent headphones, like the ones i listed in my first post? what about the Zune?

I'm looking to pick up the new Touch 4G soon, so I can comment on SQ later. The headphones that you listed all have very high sensitivity, so I wouldn't worry about needing something powerful to amp them.

Worst case scenario, if a local store has a Touch 4G and a Zune HD, you could try out one or the other (or both if your credit limit allows it) and return the one you don't like!

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I'm looking to pick up the new Touch 4G soon, so I can comment on SQ later. The headphones that you listed all have very high sensitivity, so I wouldn't worry about needing something powerful to amp them.

Worst case scenario, if a local store has a Touch 4G and a Zune HD, you could try out one or the other (or both if your credit limit allows it) and return the one you don't like!

thanks dude, let me know what you think about it. and i guess i could do that and get both and see which i like more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back