ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 8, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #61 of 1,126
Hey, I could care less about hissing, but I do care about the reported issues with the lineout signal on several sources being too strong for the ZO2 to attenuate to a listenable volume at any setting. But I guess that's just a serious face thing, and its probably more important for some here to ensure that they color co-ordinate their outfit with their new toy. Have at it.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #62 of 1,126
Hmm, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there is a small hiss with my ZO2 + W4. I just connected everything up and before pressing play on my D2, you can hear it. It is definitely not silent. I haven't messed with an impedance adapter yet, but I'll find it later to try out. This is a little disappointing though since I listen to most of my music at very low volumes when I'm portable.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #63 of 1,126
I don't use my Zo2 with iem's but there is a hiss present using my FA-04.  And when I say hiss, it is really faint and not noticeable when music is playing.  I don't have a source with Line Out so to test this I just put my zune on max and used the Zo volume attenuator and will agree it is louder than I'd like using the lowest setting.  

I won't be using this with a LO source nor IEM so I've no problem with the ZO2.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #64 of 1,126

Quote:
I don't use my Zo2 with iem's but there is a hiss present using my FA-04.  And when I say hiss, it is really faint and not noticeable when music is playing.  I don't have a source with Line Out so to test this I just put my zune on max and used the Zo volume attenuator and will agree it is louder than I'd like using the lowest setting.  

Yes, it is very faint. I guess I didn't elaborate on how significant it was. With the volume at 10-15 on my Cowon player, it just about disappears and is only noticeable on quieter passages if you're listening for it. I'll post more impressions later.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #65 of 1,126
I've been using the ZO2 strictly with HE-300 for a couple of hours and after messing around with the volume setting a bit, I do not notice the hissing using these headphones.  I haven't gone back to any iem's for the time being since I've been seriously loving this combination.  Maybe some burn-in has helped, who knows.  

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #66 of 1,126
OK, my two ZO2 showed up today. It took me 7 hours to get alone with them and take a listen. I first really like the toggle switch that controls both volume and contour. It works real well. I am using two of them because I have a hearing imbalance of 21% between my ears. I know because of my digital readout on my computer. One eardrum is a transplant from a surfing accident 30 years ago. So I am using one ZO2 for the right ear and one for the left. I am probably the only person with portable mono block but I have been doing this for many years. My collection of dual amps is impressive. About 1 hour ago I grabbed  one of my iMods loaded with WAV from heavily modified Cd's, 650s heavily modded with all ALO cyco matched cables from source to cans. I have to say I way very impressed. I had Corky Siegles Chamber blues on and it was on par with any of my grip. That includes iQube, 71A, Xin SM4 maxed, TTVJ tube and SS. They run with the pack for a unbelievable $200. I then grabbed my LCD2 and they drove those with no problem, but could not push them to their limits. However they did drive them with enough authority to make me want to play with the contour and volume. This is alot of fun. Then I pulled out the HE6 and sound became much softer but very pretty. Even at full volume they are not powerful enough for the HE6. So what, I am just so impressed with how they play 650s and LCD2s. I just went back to the LCD2 from HE6 and was able to drop the volume about 40% off max. Very impressive. I still have not tried IEM but I know they will drive any IEM with eaze.
    I just put on Dave Matthews Best of whats around and I had to adjust the volume and contour to tweak out the sound. Splendid. At this point all I am saying is this the ZO fans do not have any disappointments to fear with the ZO2. It appears that the other amp makers have a bit of a dilemma. Adopt the ZO technology to make their amps to compete with the ZO or just buy a aftermarket ZO and apply it to whatever  amp of your choice. I will be comparing the ZO2 to my other grip, solo and as a add on. This will be a lot of fun. I do not believe that the ZO alone will not out perform all features of amps 5X more expensive, but with the exquisite contour ability there is a place the sound goes to, that a amp that isn't ZO-a-fied cannot approach. Well there is a first impression and now after 3 hours of listening I believe I am hearing a small amount of break in roughness. Just a little rippling. I bet these burn in real quick. Like 20 to 30 hours.  Like I said before, the ZO only changes one thing, everything. Enjoy.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #67 of 1,126
I guess it has to be asked, was there a hiss issue with the ZOv1 ?

"Smooth, noiseless transisition into standby (bypass) mode New"

As reported by Danny and ChrisSC, I have the same problem.  It's nothing like it was mentioned above as a feature.

Honestly these are small problems, I can live with them, but makes me wonder how they were not picked up on before shipping since they are noticeable, it's going to be interesting to see if other people who pre-ordered from the 1st batch have the same problems. 

Again enjoying the ZOv2, sounds great... does wonders to the M2C earbuds that where lacking bass.

Also tried the BOSE QC2s and there is a overall improvement in sound and bass.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #69 of 1,126

Quote:
I've been using the ZO2 strictly with HE-300 for a couple of hours and after messing around with the volume setting a bit, I do not notice the hissing using these headphones.  I haven't gone back to any iem's for the time being since I've been seriously loving this combination.  Maybe some burn-in has helped, who knows.  

That's because they're HE-300s, not the most sensitive headphones on the market. 
confused.gif

Try IEMs.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #70 of 1,126

Quote:
Hmm, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there is a small hiss with my ZO2 + W4. I just connected everything up and before pressing play on my D2, you can hear it. It is definitely not silent. I haven't messed with an impedance adapter yet, but I'll find it later to try out. This is a little disappointing though since I listen to most of my music at very low volumes when I'm portable.

This is what concerns me.  I also listen at low volume and would expect a product like this that is perfect for IEMs to have no hiss.  My $20 E5 does not have any hiss.  I'm concerned that they tried to make this work with all headphones and upped the gain too much.  I guess I'll be the first and request a HI/LO gain switch for ZO3.

Won't an impedance adapter mess with the frequency curve and change the FR of low impedance IEMs?

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #71 of 1,126

Quote:
This is what concerns me.  I also listen at low volume and would expect a product like this that is perfect for IEMs to have no hiss.  My $20 E5 does not have any hiss.  I'm concerned that they tried to make this work with all headphones and upped the gain too much.  I guess I'll be the first and request a HI/LO gain switch for ZO3.

Yea that would be a good suggestion for ZO3 (or an updated ZO2 revision if it's an easy doable fix), that or the volume control adjusted so it would work also nicely with IEMs if using LOD so it won't be too high volume (still the gain has to be adjusted a bit as well). I suppose changing the volume level on the ZO2 doesn't do anything to hiss and are you all trying to use LOD or the headphone jack? If you're using the headphone jack meaning you can control the source's volume then lower the volume of the source and hissing shouldn't be a prob (with ZO1 the recommendation was to start with 25% volume). The way it sounds like is that ZO2 isn't that much different compared to ZO1 in the sense, the source volume still seems to have to be controlled to get to nice results if using it as LOD then the signal feed to it is too strong, the digital volume control might not work as some people had expected it to be able to completely replace the source's volume control if using it as LOD. 

I'm not an IEM guy (I got only some Koss Spark plugs that cost like 10 EUR that I never use) and I'm suprised how many ZO owners seem to only use IEMs though. :p

Finally I haven't yet got the ZO2 myself so can't obviously say if this what I'm speaking is accurate but what I do suggest for digiZoid as a really "must have" kind of demo setup is to get one of the most sensitive IEMs around (help me here people as I don't know anything about IEMs) and a device you use as a LOD (for example iPod). If this setup surpasses hissing issue nicely, no1 else is gonna have issues either. But yea perhaps a low/high gain switch wouldn't be a bad thing and possibly the volume control might also need some tweaking (to not provide too high volume if used in a LOD setup).

OR another possible fix would probably be to add a switch for either headphone jack or LOD use, if it's in LOD state, the signal will be dampened with a bit higher resistance component (if this is possible) before it enters ZO's own amping = hiss & volume issue fixed with sensitive IEMs. So either add adjustable gain or something that dampens the signal if used as a LOD, adding adjustable gain is probably cleaner/better solution, dampening signal is more likely to "affect" the outcome and is more stressful (produces more heat for the component that's dampening signal). Low gain tweaked suitable for IEM use and high gain would basicly be the same as ZO2 is in the current state. 

What do you think MizMoxie? High (headphones) and low gain (IEMs) switch for future versions? After all this device is a portable amp so you can't really avoid not making it fit for IEM use as well. I see this feature really important and would put the final finishing touch vs the competitors and you could have a really superb product for its "intended market". 

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #73 of 1,126

Quote:

I won't be using this with a LO source nor IEM so I've no problem with the ZO2.

So it's using two gain stages? Can't you simply reduce the Zune's volume a bit?

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #74 of 1,126

Quote:
So it's using two gain stages? Can't you simply reduce the Zune's volume a bit?

Yep for all people that are using headphone jack, you're SUPPOSED to lower the volume on the source when used with ZO. Basicly just adjust source volume so that hissing will dissappear as well as so that you neither have to use the lowest or highest volume setting on the ZO2, preferable somewhere in the middle or a bit above, say around level 16 - 25 on the ZO2 is the optimal (that's what I intend to tweak my soundcard volume for). The least hissing you'd get if using max ZO2 vol and as low source vol as possible but I still suggest leaving some headroom (if nothing else for safety's sake as I'd never fully trust the source to rely on that it NEVER even by mistake changes the volume level or something and then it's not fun if the amp is set to max vol).

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #75 of 1,126
Does anyone have any knowledge on cold toleration for the ZO1? Because I'd like to use it when mobile (mostly while cycling for 12km< daily) but since here is so effin cold winterns I'm conserned it might create some issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back