ZO2 Impression Thread
Nov 10, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #196 of 1,126

Quote:
Awww, group hug ?

Cmon guys - its a $99 piece of plastic-and-silicon. Read the Leben thread where Head-Fiers have been forced to send their 3.5k amp back for repair within days of receiving it.

Not only that, given the history of HFI, this is not the 1st time this has happened, common sense should of anyone who pre-ordered that you ran the risk of problems coming out from the 1st batch that were never fully tested.  I accepted this and I'm sure so did others.

This was talked about before in the other thread......Important part is Digizoid are willing to fix the problems.  If you don't like it due to how it sounds, that's a different matter.

But like it was said, let's give them a chance......

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #197 of 1,126
Listening to my W4+ZO2 in the library now and I'm enjoying it. The hiss is there, but in environments that aren't completely silent it gets covered up mostly. I've turned the ZO2's volume to max and the boost to orange. Of course, my D2+ DAP's volume is at 06/50 so it is very quiet. Normally without a ZO this mutes a lot of the lower end, but it's all right there
biggrin.gif
 I may keep this if the hiss is indeed remedied. Cheers for stepping up, Digizoid. The majority appreciates it immensely.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #198 of 1,126

Quote:
So many IEM users here... I'm guessing from fellow headphone users that the hissing isn't a problem for us?

I can hear some hissing, when music isn't playing and I have the audio raised slightly high. This is with my V-Moda Crossfade M-80's. I'll check my SR80i's when I get home.

As somebody who was really pushing the questions to with regards to the ZO2, I was afraid I wouldn't be happy with the product or would have been happier with the ZO1.

I think the presentation is a bit weak but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't like the looks of the ZO2. But, that's probably because I got spoiled by the M-80's box/case/etc.

As of an hour of listening, with 30 minutes interrupted by a co-worker that really liked to listen to her music of Gaga or whatever, I can definitely say that the sweet spot for the ZO2 is having the volume setting on max, the DAP at 30-40%, and the contour levels being around halfway for me. I've listened to a variety of songs, and it definitely feels like going away from the ZO2 makes my music lifeless. I don't feel like this is really a neutral boost; it's definitely geared more towards boosting the bass, but I feel it does a really good job of expanding the sound stage for the M-80's. I do notice that the bass kind of muds up some details at times. However, I -am- keeping it on a higher contour level then necessary because I'm a basshead, so I understand that it's probably clouding up my music in a way, but for the most part it's puts a very fun spin on my music, which is probably the best way I can describe it.

I can see how people would be upset about it though, and I'd send mine in to get it 'fixed' or 'repaired' as well. I'm going to try it in my car now, see how that goes. But, so far, for portable headphones, I give them a thumbs up. Not only does the bass get bumped -VERY- well, but it sounds natural and unforced, not artificial.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #199 of 1,126
Well for some users it would probably be nice if the lowest level wouldn't have any more bass than stock to make it more versataile, ZO1 did only offer a level lower that actually decreased bass a little but I think that level was SmartVektor = off as it sounded a whole lot less forward in the whole range on that level. But yea that probably would be a good thing to have for the lowest level so some people would just be able to use its amping. Right that has to go to my suggestion list.

I was also thinking of those small icons indicating which is headphone out and which is input... I think the current ones are rather confusing, instead of the speaker icon I think a small headphone would be a better icon but not sure what would be best for the input, the note used currently is not the most clear indicator... What do you think should be had as an icon for the input?

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #201 of 1,126
Still waiting for mine...

At the end of the day, as long as it can add a decent bass to my beloved B2, I would  be happy as Larry...

...and no, I won't be using that with my M8 :)

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #202 of 1,126

Quote:
I rather have it just show in text, "IN" and "OUT"

Good idea xD Sometimes the solutions are way too simple to realize.

EDIT: This is the suggestion list I just sent in to digiZoid. Just adding it here as well so you guys can like discuss if there's anything u came up relative to this that might be of help or whatever... I just want ZO to become as good product as possible...

[size=x-small]- Hissing[/size]

[size=x-small]Lower the noise floor / hissing level so it can be used with IEMs.[/size]

[size=x-small]- Adjustable gain[/size]

[size=x-small]Having an adjustable gain has pretty much become almost a requirement at this point to be able to optimize its use for both more sensitive IEMs and headphones as well as a little more demanding headphones. I suggest one gain level that's optimized for 8 ~ 50 ohm or so IEMs/headphones and the other gain level for >50 ohm headphones. All other amps with powerful enough amping similar to ZO2 or above usually feature adjustable gain exactly because of this so it can be used with more variety of IEMs/headphones.[/size]

[size=x-small]- Volume control[/size]

[size=x-small]Tweak the volume control to fit better with above mentioned categories. The thing though besides the volume level is that currently the sound quality seems to be negatively impacted if using a lower level than the max level compared to ZO1 which kinda neglects the usefulness a volume control brings. (Maybe offer two different versions or come up with a better volume adjustment?) Another alternative would obviously to switch digital volume control out for a volume potentiometer which avoids the dynamic range compression, distortion and other issues.[/size]

[size=x-small]- Contour level adjustment[/size]

[size=x-small]Currently ZO2 adds some bass even at lowest level. This is a bad thing for some customers, the lowest level on an amp, even if it's a bass boost amp should always offer roughly the same or perhaps slightly less bass at lowest level. Currently we're maybe talking about ~2dB or so boost in bass wich is not huge but enough for some customers to dislike it. What I think would be best to offer on the very lowest level would be SmartVektor = disabled, so that people would be able to use ZO's amping only without any sound processing for a more "neutral" output. If I'm not mistaken isn't this what ZO1 already offered? At least it sounded like it when set at the lowest level.[/size]

[size=x-small]- Input/Output icons[/size]

The current icons are somewhat confusing. You could simply use the text "IN" and "OUT" for example. If using icons, I think the best icon for the output would be to have a headphone picture for the output. For input I'm not really sure what would be the best but I'm not too convinced that the "note" is the best one for it. There was already a customer which was exposed to a high volume due to connecting it the wrong way and then switching around and forgot he had turned up the volume a bit. Obviously customers should still read the manual but it's always in your interest to make sure there's as small chance for this to happen as possible.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #203 of 1,126
I've removed the recent bickering and the like from this thread. There is no piece of digital equipment in the world worth getting personal with other people over.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #204 of 1,126

Quote:
I've removed the recent bickering and the like from this thread. There is no piece of digital equipment in the world worth getting personal with other people over.

Sounds good, sir. This was no real place for it in the first place. Side note, the ZO2 sounds awesome on the M-80, they sound -really- solid through my car's audio, though that was weird at the same time. Going to try with the SR80i later.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #205 of 1,126

Quote:

Thanks, I was concidering reporting it.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #206 of 1,126

Quote:
Sounds good, sir. This was no real place for it in the first place. Side note, the ZO2 sounds awesome on the M-80, they sound -really- solid through my car's audio, though that was weird at the same time. Going to try with the SR80i later.

Was there any hiss on the M-80 and when you boosted the bass was there any negative effect on the mids? I'm also curious, considering the treble isn't as involving on the M-80 did the sound signature feel overly dark when the bass was boosted?

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #207 of 1,126

Quote:
Was there any hiss on the M-80 and when you boosted the bass was there any negative effect on the mids? I'm also curious, considering the treble isn't as involving on the M-80 did the sound signature feel overly dark when the bass was boosted?

Honestly, there was some hiss, but that was at higher volumes. Once you lower them, you don't notice it really. When music is playing, you don't hear it at all.

As far as the bass attacking the mids, I noticed a few details that were more prevalent, are kind of recessed, but it still sounds clear. It doesn't muddy it up too badly, and I'm talking about really hard to notice details. Honestly, it felt slightly darker, but it made it very fun in a way. This product is as actually advertised as a personal subwoofer, and that's what it does while boosting all aspects of the audio. However, I will say that when you have the ZO2's contour on a lower setting/lowest setting and just turn the audio up, it does a good job of keeping everything pretty even, with just a good hint of bass increase and the volume turned well higher.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #208 of 1,126

Quote:
Honestly, there was some hiss, but that was at higher volumes. Once you lower them, you don't notice it really. When music is playing, you don't hear it at all.

As far as the bass attacking the mids, I noticed a few details that were more prevalent, are kind of recessed, but it still sounds clear. It doesn't muddy it up too badly, and I'm talking about really hard to notice details. Honestly, it felt slightly darker, but it made it very fun in a way. This product is as actually advertised as a personal subwoofer, and that's what it does while boosting all aspects of the audio. However, I will say that when you have the ZO2's contour on a lower setting/lowest setting and just turn the audio up, it does a good job of keeping everything pretty even, with just a good hint of bass increase and the volume turned well higher.

Interesting, I'm curious what the ZO2 can also do for the DT1350. If Digizoid can get the LOD and hiss problem fixed in it's next production run I might be tempted to bite. I'd still like to use it for IEM's though, hopefully that's also resolved in the next production run.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #209 of 1,126

Quote:
Interesting, I'm curious what the ZO2 can also do for the DT1350. If Digizoid can get the LOD and hiss problem fixed in it's next production run I might be tempted to bite. I'd still like to use it for IEM's though, hopefully that's also resolved in the next production run.

You know what it just did to my Grado SR80i's? It just made Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz freaking amazing.

The ZO2 is, oddly, amazing on the M-80 but seems to be made for the Grado sound signature and for anything really bright. Holy crap. Dat bass. It gained IMPRESSIVE impact, punchy'ness, while keeping everything else incredibly detailed.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #210 of 1,126
I just received mine today. Just started listening to it and there's a couple things I want to mention... first of all, from my ipod touch -> LOD -> ZO2-> Denon D2000, it's too loud even when i set my volume at the minimum setting. In the end, I have to use the little cable provided and listen through the hp out. For now, I'm only listening with my Denon D2000, and it just doesn't quite have the control on the bass that I'd like either. I wonder if I use my ER4S with the LOD, if the volume issue would be ok.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I was expecting from this, but the bass just doesn't sound as good as I had expected. I wouldn't say it's sloppy, but it's just not where I'd want it. I had a better experience with the Practical Devices XM6's control over the bass; however, it's obviously not fair to compare a $100 amp to a $400 amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back