ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,426 of 1,522
Some tips that you might find handy in the link in my sig.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,427 of 1,522
No less love for Dan and company; his Alpha Prime and Mad Dog Pro are among my top favorites and I'm very picky about what I like in a headphone. In being stern, I neglected to mention both Zach and Dan in the same breath.

I just feel that Zach has taken a level of care and attention to detail in particular in T50 modding that virtually no one else could achieve; specifically I am referring to custom tuning and wood finishes that could be requested.

Sometimes I sit there holding my Alpha Prime, put them on, and always take them off and stare at them a little bit. That Claret Red is just amazing. I do the same with my Ether. Furthermore, the sound really is something special.

I also do this same weird ritual with my ZMF Blackwood. Put it on, take it off, see how it does with some of my favorite flamenco guitar tunes... Such a joy!

May 17, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #1,428 of 1,522
Sometimes I sit there holding my Alpha Prime, put them on, and always take them off and stare at them a little bit. That Claret Red is just amazing. I do the same with my Ether. Furthermore, the sound really is something special.

I also do this same weird ritual with my ZMF Blackwood. Put it on, take it off, see how it does with some of my favorite flamenco guitar tunes... Such a joy!

I used to do that with my Alpha Dog and wonder why such a good looking headphone sounded so damned boring.

May 21, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,430 of 1,522
Zack's tuning on the Vibro Mk IIs is pretty amazing. Every evening since receiving them they've been glued to my head. All ports open of course because they're the vibros!

Absolutely zero listening fatigue and it's so easy to forget I'm wearing them even after the album has finished. Really fun.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,431 of 1,522
I've got the zmf blackwood and well very good and deep bass, goods mids, very confortable. great headphone :)
But time to time I found some "harshness" in the trebble or high mid, did you feel that ? Some fatigue came time to time too ....
And how does it compare the vibro mkII ?

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #1,432 of 1,522
I've got the zmf blackwood and well very good and deep bass, goods mids, very confortable. great headphone :)
But time to time I found some "harshness" in the trebble or high mid, did you feel that ? Some fatigue came time to time too ....
And how does it compare the vibro mkII ?

It may be worth:

1. Checking out cowhide pads if you don't have them, they smooth everything out, although you may already have them as unless noted they ship as stock on the Blackwoods.

2. Send me an email at contactzmf@gmail.com - I'll send you some acoustex paper for frontal damping that will help with this along with other damping materials. Just pay shipping.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,433 of 1,522
Zach,

I was not hopping you personnaly answer. Nice suprise, really appreciate. Thank you.
To be honnest it's a second hand, buy through an european local forum.

It may be worth:

1. Checking out cowhide pads if you don't have them, they smooth everything out, although you may already have them as unless noted they ship as stock on the Blackwoods.

Hum I will contact the seller to be sure what are the pads. They wasn't any spare pads in the package. They look like Alpha pads.
Well good to read about Zmf oval cowhide : i buy and just receive a pair. I will mount them this we.

2. Send me an email at contactzmf@gmail.com - I'll send you some acoustex paper for frontal damping that will help with this along with other damping materials. Just pay shipping.

Oh really appreciate ! I will contact you soon :)

Well some other points :
- I will test the zmf Ori really soon and have some high expectation :wink:
- With a soft EQ i have reduce mids high and trebble, and well I really really like !

Regards,

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,434 of 1,522
Well I change the pads (alpha pads to oval owhide ) (a little painfull)
I have the feeling that the little "harshness" is gone ! Great, really great :)

But by the way I still use soft EQ to lower the trebble zone (i'm surely hyper sensitive ...) :)

And when I see the frequency response of the zmf classic based on mkIII, I asking myself if it's could be a very good choice for my taste.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,435 of 1,522
I re-put the alpha pad, I really prefer the tonal balance. Bass are more deep, extended and impactfull .. despite the little hardness that came back.

And in the process I lost a little pin :frowning2:

THIS HEADPHONE IS GORGEOUS FOR CLASSIC ROCK, guitars, bass, battery ! awesome :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,436 of 1,522
What does the burst finish look like? How do the finish colors (Rust, Merlot, Purple, Vintage Maple, Ebony, or Cordovan) look like? Interested in making this my first Planar, so just wanted to see how it would like with these finishes on.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,437 of 1,522
What does the burst finish look like? How do the finish colors (Rust, Merlot, Purple, Vintage Maple, Ebony, or Cordovan) look like? Interested in making this my first Planar, so just wanted to see how it would like with these finishes on.

I assume you have seen the pics here?

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-x-vibro

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/lookbook/

This is a burst finish. Is has a black stain around the sides, and the stain/finish of your choice in the middle. This one is rust, I believe.
IMG_9699.jpg

I'm editing this on my phone, so I'm not 100% sure I'm accurate on some of these colors, but here you go.

Purple:
IMG_0617.JPG

Merlot:
IMG_0555.JPG

Ebony:
IMG_1631.JPG

Cordovan: (I think)
IMG_3067.JPG

Email or message Zack for details. That's your best option.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,438 of 1,522
That purple one looks to be burst finish as well. My Purplewood Vibro mkii from Massdrop last autumn is not darker around the edges. It was made from actual purplewood so is not just a matter of the finish itself. It is very pretty. Love the burst effect on the picture you posted though. Will post a pic of mine tomorrow. I have been meaning to...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,439 of 1,522
hello,
i want to get one of ZMF headphones to use with my Sony PHA-3 over balanced output (320mw / 32ohm per channel as far as i rememeber).
i would like to expect something bassy and similar to beyerdynamic dt770 or sony mdr-z7. i am looking at blackwood and vibro mk2. thinking about vibro mk2. is it the right choice?
is there a photos of natural finish? (not sure which one is 'natural') is there any utilitary downside if i pick it instead of stained/bust variant which requires extra $$ ?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,440 of 1,522
hello,
i want to get one of ZMF headphones to use with my Sony PHA-3 over balanced output (320mw / 32ohm per channel as far as i rememeber).
i would like to expect something bassy and similar to beyerdynamic dt770 or sony mdr-z7. i am looking at blackwood and vibro mk2. thinking about vibro mk2. is it the right choice?
is there a photos of natural finish? (not sure which one is 'natural') is there any utilitary downside if i pick it instead of stained/bust variant which requires extra $$ ?

The Vibro has a more mid-bassy presentation while the Blackwood is more neutral, with a boost in the sub bass.

The burst finish options have no sonic effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back