ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Sep 5, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,456 of 1,522
Yeah the Blackwood has more bass slam than the vast majority of headphones I have encountered, and the Ori has even more.
Hmm, goes to show we all hear things differently. It's been a while since using the Blackwoods, once I return to my home I should be able to give my updated impression between these, Vibro MkII, and whatever else I have around. I will say that it is nice and crisp, especially for the really low stuff. Maybe my perception of a lack of impact has to do with the smooth treble giving a softened transient, or even added decay from the wood's reonances, but that's totally theorizing. Perhaps I am also just spoiled by the Elear, it is very impactful and my daily driver.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,457 of 1,522
Yeah the Blackwood has more bass slam than the vast majority of headphones I have encountered, and the Ori has even more.
I believe I actually am taking delivery of your original pair of Blackwood, today. I can't wait!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,458 of 1,522
Yeah, also for what it's worth I do not like the Blackwood with 2 or 3 bass ports plugged.

I have always disliked the traditional dynamic headphone mid bass humps.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,459 of 1,522
Yeah, also for what it's worth I do not like the Blackwood with 2 or 3 bass ports plugged.

Your review of the Blackwood, is what made me decide to buy them. Thanks for that!

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,460 of 1,522

I suppose that makes sense. They sound kinda constrained with 2+ plugs as I recall, my impressions are mostly with 1 plug. I'll refrain from more impressions, if I come back to them (been a few months) and feel differently, then I'll feel a bit dumb. Auditory memory is notoriously unreliable, aside from 'I like this' and 'I don't like this'

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,461 of 1,522
Got the Blackwood! Zach's description of this headphone, is of course, spot on. I hear a neutral sound sig, with a sub bass boost and it is glorious. The midrange is spectacular and the tone of the instruments is very lifelike. These are keepers and will compliment my Alpha Prime, very well.

Thanks Zach! Now time to save for the Ori. . .

Sep 6, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,462 of 1,522
I have a Blackwood and an Atticus and my Blackwood gets as much headtime. its so cohesive with such a visceral quality. i enjoy it with every genre i throw at it.
the Atticus resolves and separates better, but the Blackwood groups the sound so it all works together....in a giant hall. i love it.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #1,463 of 1,522
I spent last night with the Blackwood, listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela and I felt like I was on stage with them. Freaking spectacular resolve, and decay, while still staying musical and near perfect tone! The soundstage is wide, but not too wide to loose any resolution in the mids, and the imaging is stunning. Acoustic music with the Blackwood, is pure bliss! This really is a TOTL closed back!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,465 of 1,522
I have been listening to both the blackwoods and vibro mkII these past two days. Definitely more different than I had expected. The blackwood doesn't need much or any more impact, its quite good there. Vibro too, but sometimes in different songs, there is definitely a different frequency that the bass is lifted at. The blackwood is very put-together and has a super coherent whole sound. The Vibro is a little more v-shaped, bass with some sparkle. Still, it is actually airier sounding, and sometimes it really excels at tracks that the blackwood sounds just like it does on most things. I think the blackwood is pretty versatile, yet I like how the vibro has a little more obvious dynamic shifts, and vocals have an airier quality. Both are really great. I'm actually surprised that the airiness of the vibro makes its staging and imaging a little more obvious and separated at times. Strangely my blackwood started acting up at some point today so I might not be able to do as much direct comparison as I'd like.

If I had a complaint about the Vibro it would be that it needs more clamping pressure, its a bit finicky on the head. Maybe it would do well with the cowhide pads, seeing as I really like the fit of the blackwoods, but it may just be the different headbands used. Still it is one heck of a closed headphone. Glad I picked it up, especially considering the Blackwood may be making a trip out to Chicago.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,466 of 1,522
I have been listening to both the blackwoods and vibro mkII these past two days. Definitely more different than I had expected. The blackwood doesn't need much or any more impact, its quite good there. Vibro too, but sometimes in different songs, there is definitely a different frequency that the bass is lifted at. The blackwood is very put-together and has a super coherent whole sound. The Vibro is a little more v-shaped, bass with some sparkle. Still, it is actually airier sounding, and sometimes it really excels at tracks that the blackwood sounds just like it does on most things. I think the blackwood is pretty versatile, yet I like how the vibro has a little more obvious dynamic shifts, and vocals have an airier quality. Both are really great. I'm actually surprised that the airiness of the vibro makes its staging and imaging a little more obvious and separated at times. Strangely my blackwood started acting up at some point today so I might not be able to do as much direct comparison as I'd like.

If I had a complaint about the Vibro it would be that it needs more clamping pressure, its a bit finicky on the head. Maybe it would do well with the cowhide pads, seeing as I really like the fit of the blackwoods, but it may just be the different headbands used. Still it is one heck of a closed headphone. Glad I picked it up, especially considering the Blackwood may be making a trip out to Chicago.

The Fostex headbands on his T50 lineup is pretty malleable, you should be able to adjust the clamp to your preference.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,467 of 1,522
The Fostex headbands on his T50 lineup is pretty malleable, you should be able to adjust the clamp to your preference.
Zach even has a YouTube video, on how to do it.

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,468 of 1,522
Zach even has a YouTube video, on how to do it.
Yeah, was able to manage a better seal and fit with adjustment. I didn't realize the original owner had done so himself, and his head must be wider.

Some more thoughts on the two, the Blackwood has pretty good impact, especially on my Lyr, but it just doesn't have the quantity that the vibro does. The vibro is always gonna sound like it has a stronger bass. The blackwood is a bit more tasteful, but both are pretty clean. The vibro does have a bit of a low end reverb-y sound. Something I usually attribute to pad reflections. I have to push the volume a bit more on the Vibro, and they are also more acoustically open, and leak more sound in. I think this could be why they actually sound like they have more air and space on the soundstage. Still the Blackwood has that very low extension with good thump and has more consistently pleasing mids, and a less offensive treble without any real sense of veil. I enjoy both, vibro has a bit more character, which is to say, its less neutral. While I probably enjoy the Blackwood more for most of my music, electronic, alt, and pop sound fantastic on the Vibro, and when my basshead friends come around I know which one I have to show them. Both fantastic headphones, I would say the Vibro is great for a closed back and the Blackwood is great without any qualifiers. I actually enjoy having both a lot

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,469 of 1,522
I'm looking at getting either one of the few Vibros left or a Blackwood. Each sound really interesting. I already have an old Mr. Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads and comparing it to a stock T50RP was night and day. Which one of the ZMF phones would sound the most different from the Mr. Speakers? I'd like to find a different sound.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,470 of 1,522
I'm looking at getting either one of the few Vibros left or a Blackwood. Each sound really interesting. I already have an old Mr. Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads and comparing it to a stock T50RP was night and day. Which one of the ZMF phones would sound the most different from the Mr. Speakers? I'd like to find a different sound.

Tough to say, I think they both kind of straddle the sound. IMO the Blackwood is really excellent but it still has some of that smooth rich tonality like Mad Dog. The Vibro is pretty bassy/punchy, and unless you listen to a lot of R&B, hip-hop, rap, pop, etc. it may seem less refined in some ways than the mad dog. Been a while since I heard the Mad Dog, but I think the Vibro is bassier, the Blackwood is a little more neutral but still smooth and sweet. Hope I could help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back