ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Mar 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,186 of 1,522
  So how is the sound leakage on the Blackwoods?
Would someone standing 3 feet from my hear the music if I have them on?

my roommate told me he can't hear them from around that distance. I don't listen super loud though. I think u will probably be fine in terms of isolation

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,188 of 1,522

I`m wondering how the Blackwood compares to the TH-XOO.

The Blackwood is subbassed and mid-emphasized. It's a lot clearer and smoother than the THX00's high end. The THX00, being the driver that it is, is prone to less distortion overall and a lot more "oomph" in the bass.

The Blackwood is a better headphone overall, but the THx00 is just fun. However, the THX00 is not a true closed headphone, soooooooo....Blackwood dominates it in isolation.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,189 of 1,522

The Blackwood is subbassed and mid-emphasized. It's a lot clearer and smoother than the THX00's high end. The THX00, being the driver that it is, is prone to less distortion overall and a lot more "oomph" in the bass.

The Blackwood is a better headphone overall, but the THx00 is just fun. However, the THX00 is not a true closed headphone, soooooooo....Blackwood dominates it in isolation.

Thanks for your input. I own the Fostex and am also considering the Blackwood. I do really enjoy listening to jazz on the TH-XOO.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #1,191 of 1,522

less distortion on the THX00? I haven't ever been much of a believer in low level distortion being audible, but the Blackwood is a planar magnetic driver, and they're usually very distinctly ahead of dynamics in terms of distortion, even biocellulose. Am I wrong? just curious

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,192 of 1,522
less distortion on the THX00? I haven't ever been much of a believer in low level distortion being audible, but the Blackwood is a planar magnetic driver, and they're usually very distinctly ahead of dynamics in terms of distortion, even biocellulose. Am I wrong? just curious

Distortion is very noticeable. A distorted midrange can sound very...odd, muddy bass is caused by distortion and ringing is another form. Anyway, current biocellulose drivers are made to be frighteningly low in distortion. The th900, for example, has so much clarity because it has low distortion. The nighthawk, despite its issues caused by the pads, gets lower in distortion as it gets louder. It's very clear despite the darkness.

The t50rp driver has some issues with driver distortion that mods can't completely eliminate.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,193 of 1,522
  I have a Vibro Mk. 1. I've been using with the lambskin Alpha pads. Can anyone familiar with these tell me if it makes a sizable audio difference switching to the ZMF Cowhide?

Edit: sharing the answer I got from Zach.

"It'll basically give your ear more space and keep it a little further away from the driver.  It may increase soundstage a little and the bass would be a touch more diffuse.   It's hard to say whether it's worth the $ or not!"

Good question on whether it's worth the money, or not.  I picked up the cowhide for my Mk 1 (cherry) and find them a bit more lively than the lambskin (which are THE most comfortable pads).   I kept the cowhide on the vibros and was able to repurpose the alpha pads on my HE-6, which complements them well.  If you have another use for one set, it's worth a try.  If you don't, I would guess you would settle on one or the other and the one would just end up sitting around.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,194 of 1,522

Good question on whether it's worth the money, or not.  I picked up the cowhide for my Mk 1 (cherry) and find them a bit more lively than the lambskin (which are THE most comfortable pads).   I kept the cowhide on the vibros and was able to repurpose the alpha pads on my HE-6, which complements them well.  If you have another use for one set, it's worth a try.  If you don't, I would guess you would settle on one or the other and the one would just end up sitting around.

Zach just shipped out my cowhide pads an hour ago. Interested to see how they change things up.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,196 of 1,522
  Vibro MKII, Ejoy!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zmf-headphones-x-vibro-mk-ii/reviews/15639

You're the man @Hisoundfi  !!!!!!!!

MassDrop ZMF x Vibro MK II starts tomorrow.  Rusted Zebra LTD Edition:

Price: $439.99 - Limited to 25 units, more details in the drop!

Includes Zebrawood upgrade ($50) and stain ($70) for a list price of $599.99.  So this is a 27% discount!

Also - we just finished this video giving a quick look in at ZMF:

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 31, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,197 of 1,522
Man, that's a smokin deal.  I can't think of any headphone in the $440 price range that competes with a well-amped Vibro.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,198 of 1,522
Zach,

I like the video clip. It shows the hand-craft nature of your ZMF Omni. The Massdrop ZMF Vibro x MK ll, is a great idea, and will bring general exposure, and help drive sales. I suggest a long version of the video for your website.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,199 of 1,522
   You're the man @Hisoundfi  !!!!!!!!

MassDrop ZMF x Vibro MK II starts tomorrow.  Rusted Zebra LTD Edition:

Price: $439.99 - Limited to 25 units, more details in the drop!

Includes Zebrawood upgrade ($50) and stain ($70) for a list price of $599.99.  So this is a 27% discount!

Also - we just finished this video giving a quick look in at ZMF:

/img/vimeo_logo.png 

I want this so badly. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,200 of 1,522
Count me in.

I had no plans on buying any more audio gear until the summer... and then this happened. My Vibro Labs Aria will show up in a couple of weeks, and this will follow. What a perfect pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back