ZMF Verite Open
Jun 26, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,281 of 9,512
Would love to know how that amp compares to the BHC, with the ZMF cans.
Be careful before you buy those used Massdrop amp from eBay as it may be those units that were reported to have Hum issue

Get Laconic night blue mini. It’s same amp

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2,282 of 9,512
Be careful before you buy those used Massdrop amp from eBay as it may be those units that were reported to have Hum issue

Get Laconic night blue mini. It’s same amp
Thanks, I am aware of that issue, and that is another reason, I did not buy one. However, one of the sellers, claims they have been tested and listened to with headphones. I am quite happy with my setup, but look forward to your impressions.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,283 of 9,512
I’ll just leave this little photo right here that I took at SoCal CanJam :)

920DF8E0-009B-4AA5-B61A-13E3F7659163.jpeg

It’s about time I just give in and purchase a Verite for myself. I can only dream about the sound and drool over photos for so long! After listening to ZMF and meeting Zach and his wife at three SoCal CanJams now I really need to just give them my money. They’ve earned it!

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #2,284 of 9,512
Thanks, I am aware of that issue, and that is another reason, I did not buy one. However, one of the sellers, claims they have been tested and listened to with headphones. I am quite happy with my setup, but look forward to your impressions.

I bought one from Ebay knowing it probably has the humming issue, but if you're into a little DIY (assuming you built the Bottlehead Crack), there is a very helpful guide on how to fix the humming issue on the "other site!" I just finished doing the mod and now the amp is dead silent. Even before the mod, the humming was never noticeable when music was playing and I preferred the ZDT Jr over the Lyr 3, massdrop CTH, and Liquid Platinum.

The amp has excellent dynamics and instrument separation, I really love them on the Verite, HD800, and HD650. It doesn't have throw a big stage but its tonality and depth were really reminiscent of the ZDS I used to own.

It really is a lil' Zana Deux that is desktop friendly and no risk of burning myself unlike the ZDS lol...

I love this amp to death :)

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #2,285 of 9,512
Would love to know how that amp compares to the BHC, with the ZMF cans.

Honestly I’m thinking of buying another one.... mine has the hum, so I’ve taken it apart and will be modding it (moving and shielding the transformer). Seriously cool sounding lil amp, and if you are ok with modding/soldering not too difficult to get rid of the hum. Once I get it all put back together I’ll give a quick impression, but even with the hum, it was nice enough for me to want to keep it and fix it and possibly grab another one lol....actually I take that back these sound like poo (please don’t buy any until I buy my next one lol) hype over :wink: I honestly would say it is the best tube amp I’ve tried under $500 and it can easily compete with tube amps above that price (I got it for less than half that) but like all things tube it is very subjective, I think it is a nice compliment to my BHC, and Cayin HA-1A MKII. But we shall see if I can properly mod it and get it working again (I’m not the best soldering person or electrical engineering type) I know enough to break stuff, and on occasion put a BHC together lol

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,286 of 9,512
I bought one from Ebay knowing it probably has the humming issue, but if you're into a little DIY (assuming you built the Bottlehead Crack), there is a very helpful guide on how to fix the humming issue on the "other site!" I just finished doing the mod and now the amp is dead silent. Even before the mod, the humming was never noticeable when music was playing and I preferred the ZDT Jr over the Lyr 3, massdrop CTH, and Liquid Platinum.

The amp has excellent dynamics and instrument separation, I really love them on the Verite, HD800, and HD650. It doesn't have throw a big stage but its tonality and depth were really reminiscent of the ZDS I used to own.

It really is a lil' Zana Deux that is desktop friendly and no risk of burning myself unlike the ZDS lol...

I love this amp to death :)

Exactly this....I should read ahead before posting lol...but here is the EC ZDT Jr...in pieces lol...

33CC8B3D-28B0-46CE-B2E4-2BDD059DE3E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #2,287 of 9,512
Exactly this....I should read ahead before posting lol...but here is the EC ZDT Jr...in pieces lol...

Just a heads up, I didn't have to do move the toroidal transformer move (I didn't want to resolder and drill holes) and you might not have to either! I'll PM you what I did so we don't derail the thread too much :)

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #2,288 of 9,512

Yep. Won't be buying one of those, as I don't care for modding, at all. I did not even build my BHC. I build cables and that is it. I have actually gotten really good at cables, but that is as far as I want to go, at the moment. Thanks for the info! I also, am happy with only rolling singles, instead of pairs, when it comes to tubes.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,289 of 9,512
Hi everyone.
I am on the fence to buy the Verite ziricote but I am afraid they will not worth their price tag with my ifi micro BL :frowning2:
I plan to get an audio-gd or thx amp in the future tho.
Does the micro BL give them a great dynamics with strong bass punch and slam ? this is my only concern.

Not necessarily the micro BL, any experience with a low tier amps are MUCH appreciated!

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,290 of 9,512
The Amp is in stock now and ready to ship immediately in Massdrop for $400. Take a look if you are interested

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #2,291 of 9,512
Hi everyone.
I am on the fence to buy the Verite ziricote but I am afraid they will not worth their price tag with my ifi micro BL :frowning2:
I plan to get an audio-gd or thx amp in the future tho.
Does the micro BL give them a great dynamics with strong bass punch and slam ? this is my only concern.

Not necessarily the micro BL, any experience with a low tier amps are MUCH appreciated!

I will present to you an alternate argument from the perspective you seemed to have presented.
The way I see it now is you are saying "I do not currently have equipment that matches the potential of the Verite [thus I may be wasting money]."
You could also approach the argument as such:
"I currently have [current, less expensive sources for playing music]. The Verite will perform well and represent the best of what this has to offer.
"Furthermore, the Verite can scale up to the capabilities and potential of future upgrades."

By this approach, you 1) will gain appreciation for what you currently have with headphones that can match the best of what it has to offer. Also, you 2) can upgrade in the near - or distant - future with "better" and/or "more expensive" peripherals, but the Verite will be able to present OTHER aspects of its design that increases its tonal presentation, scaling up to the best of whatever items you purchase in the future.

Like most of us, we sometimes end up buying stuff that matches headphones we already own. We may think "Oh, I have $100 headphones, and my $200 amp makes it sound better." Then somewhere down the road we may think "I just bought this $600 amp, and my $100 headphones aren't much better. How about this $700 headphone? Will the amp sound better THEN?"
You end up doing a leap-frog scenario in which you spend (ultimately) thousands of dollars for equipment that is slightly better than what you currently have, but then ends up reaching the peak of its performance after that slight upgrade, looking to upgrade the audio chain to match the newer, more expensive headphones.
If you own the Verite, then rest assured that it will be a fine performer with the "stuff" going INTO it. If you have a lower end DAP, or a low-tier amplifier, don't fret about it too much. Give yourself time, save up money, and keep the headphones. The other equipment that you upgrade with can help expose other perks and characteristics that the Verite can provide, based on your personal audio chain at every stage.

Meanwhile, even if you're a "beginner" at the hobby, the Verite are headphones which can grow into your hobby,m over an extended period of time. You won't be playing catch-up as you move up in price and performance.

There is one caveat: How familiar are you with what you like in sound? In the most general sense, do you prefer a "bright, crisp highs" perspective? Do you recognize the difference from "sibilant" to "muddled" and/or "recessed warmth"? The Verite (with stock pads) leans to a colored neutral profile, but this is HEAVILY dependent on the music style you're playing, the DAC being used, the amp presenting the audio, and the way your ear is attuned to audio in general... and finally, how YOUR OWN SUBJECTIVE PERSPECTIVE of sound replicates the entire audio chain.
This final paragraph is a big "if" on whether the dive into purchasing a Verite is worth your investment. I will slightly alleviate this dilemma by mentioning that you can also switch out the earpads, providing a warmer tone, a more "neutral" tone, or a more bass-heavy presentation simply by switching out the pads.
Most high end headphones have this option, but with the Verite you not only can grow INTO the many avenues of a very well tuned headphone while learning your tastes/preferences during the journey... but you can ALSO make small investments in other options with pads, giving you the opportunity to learn what sounds best to YOUR ears without spending $200-$1200, numerous times, on a new set of cans to come to a conclusion.

This is a long post, and so I will conclude with the most basic summation:
1. If you buy very highly rated and expensive headphones with a good performance rating overall, they will be able to match and scale to future upgrades with any future equipment purchases. Cheap headphones may "peak" in quality quickly, meaning you will spend more money in the long run.
2. Even if the Verite doesn't match your personal sound preferences after learning your personal tastes, there is a good resale rate for headphones such as the Verite. Furthermore, switching out pads can give you practice on better refining your personal preferences with headpohone tone (and your current gear), allowing a few more perspectives before spending tons of money on a headphone that fits your personal style.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,292 of 9,512
I will present to you an alternate argument from the perspective you seemed to have presented.
The way I see it now is you are saying "I do not currently have equipment that matches the potential of the Verite [thus I may be wasting money]."
You could also approach the argument as such:
"I currently have [current, less expensive sources for playing music]. The Verite will perform well and represent the best of what this has to offer.
"Furthermore, the Verite can scale up to the capabilities and potential of future upgrades."

By this approach, you 1) will gain appreciation for what you currently have with headphones that can match the best of what it has to offer. Also, you 2) can upgrade in the near - or distant - future with "better" and/or "more expensive" peripherals, but the Verite will be able to present OTHER aspects of its design that increases its tonal presentation, scaling up to the best of whatever items you purchase in the future.

Like most of us, we sometimes end up buying stuff that matches headphones we already own. We may think "Oh, I have $100 headphones, and my $200 amp makes it sound better." Then somewhere down the road we may think "I just bought this $600 amp, and my $100 headphones aren't much better. How about this $700 headphone? Will the amp sound better THEN?"
You end up doing a leap-frog scenario in which you spend (ultimately) thousands of dollars for equipment that is slightly better than what you currently have, but then ends up reaching the peak of its performance after that slight upgrade, looking to upgrade the audio chain to match the newer, more expensive headphones.
If you own the Verite, then rest assured that it will be a fine performer with the "stuff" going INTO it. If you have a lower end DAP, or a low-tier amplifier, don't fret about it too much. Give yourself time, save up money, and keep the headphones. The other equipment that you upgrade with can help expose other perks and characteristics that the Verite can provide, based on your personal audio chain at every stage.

Meanwhile, even if you're a "beginner" at the hobby, the Verite are headphones which can grow into your hobby,m over an extended period of time. You won't be playing catch-up as you move up in price and performance.

There is one caveat: How familiar are you with what you like in sound? In the most general sense, do you prefer a "bright, crisp highs" perspective? Do you recognize the difference from "sibilant" to "muddled" and/or "recessed warmth"? The Verite (with stock pads) leans to a colored neutral profile, but this is HEAVILY dependent on the music style you're playing, the DAC being used, the amp presenting the audio, and the way your ear is attuned to audio in general... and finally, how YOUR OWN SUBJECTIVE PERSPECTIVE of sound replicates the entire audio chain.
This final paragraph is a big "if" on whether the dive into purchasing a Verite is worth your investment. I will slightly alleviate this dilemma by mentioning that you can also switch out the earpads, providing a warmer tone, a more "neutral" tone, or a more bass-heavy presentation simply by switching out the pads.
Most high end headphones have this option, but with the Verite you not only can grow INTO the many avenues of a very well tuned headphone while learning your tastes/preferences during the journey... but you can ALSO make small investments in other options with pads, giving you the opportunity to learn what sounds best to YOUR ears without spending $200-$1200, numerous times, on a new set of cans to come to a conclusion.

This is a long post, and so I will conclude with the most basic summation:
1. If you buy very highly rated and expensive headphones with a good performance rating overall, they will be able to match and scale to future upgrades with any future equipment purchases. Cheap headphones may "peak" in quality quickly, meaning you will spend more money in the long run.
2. Even if the Verite doesn't match your personal sound preferences after learning your personal tastes, there is a good resale rate for headphones such as the Verite. Furthermore, switching out pads can give you practice on better refining your personal preferences with headpohone tone (and your current gear), allowing a few more perspectives before spending tons of money on a headphone that fits your personal style.

This is really helpful, thanks a lot!.
The thing I am most concerned about is If I am going to be underwhelmed by their performance compared to my Elex and Ananda, If they will show superior technicality (with the micro BL) compared to the Elex I will be HAPPY! even if the it's just 10% difference. I have the money and will to purchase a high-tier amp as well but I don't want to make more than one purchase in a short period of time, I like to purchase 1 audio stuff every 3 months or so and I don't want to be disappointing during those months (weird mentality I know :)).

As for the sound I do EQ all the headphones and speakers I have, shamelessly :) so I am more concern about headphones technicality more than tonality (that's why I love @metal571 :D).
Even tho I did my research about the Verite and they are almost my preference (I may give them more sparkle in 10k tho).

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,293 of 9,512
The thing I am most concerned about is If I am going to be underwhelmed by their performance compared to my Elex and Ananda

I have no experience with your amp,but I just shipped out a pair of HiFiMan Ananda that were here on loan. The Ananda and Verite are two very different sounding headphones. In fact I even mentioned in my yet to be released video review that the Ananda is an excellent compliment to the majority of the ZMF line.

By comparison,the Ananda is airier,less dynamic,with a bright tilt. Verite is warm,thick dynamic and deep. Very,very different presentation.
If youre looking for a compliment,I think youre in the right thread. If however youre looking for more of the same,but better,you might not dig the Verite.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,294 of 9,512
I have no experience with your amp,but I just shipped out a pair of HiFiMan Ananda that were here on loan. The Ananda and Verite are two very different sounding headphones. In fact I even mentioned in my yet to be released video review that the Ananda is an excellent compliment to the majority of the ZMF line.

By comparison,the Ananda is airier,less dynamic,with a bright tilt. Verite is warm,thick dynamic and deep. Very,very different presentation.
If youre looking for a compliment,I think youre in the right thread. If however youre looking for more of the same,but better,you might not dig the Verite.

This is exactly why I have the Elex!
Even tho it's cheaper than the Ananda I find the Elex to be the superior headphones over all except for rock and huge scale soundtracks or listening at loud volumes, for low and medium volumes and every other type of music the Elex is the better headphones for me.
That's why I want to upgrade the Elex and not the Ananda. Dynamic drivers are superior for my taste and I want my high end to be a dynamic headphones. this is true even for speakers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back