ZMF Verite Open
Sep 22, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #6,811 of 9,511
Thinking of selling my Aeolus to fund a Verite. I keep going back to the Blackwood gazing at them. But a little part of me wants to wait wait ZMF November and see what offerings they'll have!
As you're probably aware... the VO and Aeolus are two different beasts cut from the same cloth. I loved my Aeolus except I found my ears (and probably tinnitus) didn't mesh well with the upper mids of them. Was only a problem with certain tracks (and piano). The VO not having quite as much upper mid presence definitely seemed to work better for me.

If you like your VC more than your Aeolus, but still want an open back, I think you'll love the VO.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #6,812 of 9,511
As you're probably aware... the VO and Aeolus are two different beasts cut from the same cloth. I loved my Aeolus except I found my ears (and probably tinnitus) didn't mesh well with the upper mids of them. Was only a problem with certain tracks (and piano). The VO not having quite as much upper mid presence definitely seemed to work better for me.

If you like your VC more than your Aeolus, but still want an open back, I think you'll love the VO.
I've definitely neglected the Aeolus since I've gotten the VC. Aeolus was my first ZMF but im wanting a different sound may be in order with the Verite.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #6,813 of 9,511
Thinking of selling my Aeolus to fund a Verite. I keep going back to the Blackwood gazing at them. But a little part of me wants to wait wait ZMF November and see what offerings they'll have!
You could always email Zach and ask if he knows when he plans to discontinue the blackwood - there may be time to wait AND still get the blackwood if you decide that's the one you want. I emailed him that very question before I ordered my desert ironwoods and he was happy to tell me how much longer he expected to have them available.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #6,814 of 9,511
You could always email Zach and ask if he knows when he plans to discontinue the blackwood - there may be time to wait AND still get the blackwood if you decide that's the one you want. I emailed him that very question before I ordered my desert ironwoods and he was happy to tell me how much longer he expected to have them available.
Desert Ironwood VO? A classic…love mine more and more every day!

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #6,815 of 9,511
Thanks for the tip! Gonna email him now

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #6,816 of 9,511
Hi All, I have just bought Verite Open (silkwood) will receive them shortly). Really can not wait:). Because VO are high impedance there is no problem with matching them with OTLs (which was the case with my previous Meze Empyrean). In fact Verite are said to sound good on OTLs.

Can someone share experience on comparing VO playing with OTL as opposed to SET amps? I am exploring potential amp change in case i do not like VO with my current SET (Ayon ha3, which sounded fantastic with Meze). I was thinking on DNA Stratus or Decware CSP3 potentially. Especially any experience with Decware would be appreciated.

Is something general can be said here on SET/OTL difference with Verite (especially with respect to imagining)? I wonder why to use output transformer design (not cheap) if Verite can play well on OTL? Otl amps are generally also cheaper with respect to tube rolling.

Maybe these are too general questions, but i am just exploring now while waiting for ZMFs...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #6,817 of 9,511
Had a very interesting listening experience last night.

Backstory: Weeks ago I picked up a gently used Final D8000. This planar design was Final's flagship until recently when they launched an upgraded/costlier version, the Final D8000 Pro. IMO the D8000 is a most interesting & capable headphone. It pretty much hogged my interest and listening time ever since it arrived.

So last night I returned to the silkwood VO, a headphone I praised here & elsewhere. With the 1st note through the VO, I fell in love with this headphone all over again. It has such rightness of tone & timbre, top to bottom. It's one of the most consistently musical transducers I've ever heard (of all the speakers & headphones I have/had). The VO really does it all.

It's really hard to imagine doing without this VO....

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #6,818 of 9,511

Backstory: Weeks ago I picked up a gently used Final D8000. This planar design was Final's flagship until recently when they launched an upgraded/costlier version, the Final D8000 Pro. IMO the D8000 is a most interesting & capable headphone. It pretty much hogged my interest and listening time ever since it arrived.

So last night I returned to the silkwood VO, a headphone I praised here & elsewhere. With the 1st note through the VO, I fell in love with this headphone all over again. It has such rightness of tone & timbre, top to bottom. It's one of the most consistently musical transducers I've ever heard (of all the speakers & headphones I have/had). The VO really does it all.

Interesting insights and I am in the same camp.
it seems most folks fall into one of 2 camps on Head-fi, either ZMF/Utopia or Audeze/HiFiMan type headphones ( I know I am highly generalizing).
I guess it comes down to what technology you prefer in your headphones and what you drive them with.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #6,819 of 9,511
it seems most folks fall into one of 2 camps on Head-fi, either ZMF/Utopia or Audeze/HiFiMan type headphones ( I know I am highly generalizing).
I guess it comes down to what technology you prefer in your headphones and what you drive them with.
That being said, I know @Pharmaboy is still
a fan of planar bass. :)

... IMO the D8000 is a most interesting & capable headphone.
Not surprised to hear that. I've been interested in hearing the D8000 as well. Interestingly, Final being Japanese, I've heard many suggest that ZMF is the most Japanese-sounding, non-Japanese producer out there..? When I read comparisons, I think that comment may be on to something lol.

I myself ended up with a VO and Z1R, alongside my vintage Japanese gear.

So, hearing that a fellow VO lover got along with the D8000 doesn't surprise me too much.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #6,820 of 9,511
The PS5's 3D Audio function on my Verite Opens are just spectacular.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #6,821 of 9,511

You’re not alone. I have the D8K Pro’s and it’s just a jot to listen too.

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #6,822 of 9,511
I fall squarely in the third camp: seeking the best of both worlds.

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #6,823 of 9,511
I fall squarely in the third camp: seeking the best of both worlds.
Same. I love the mids & timbre of ZMF and the bass of Audeze.

Some early impressions of the LCD-5 are suggesting it's LCD-4 bass, but with excellent mids. If true, that's piqued my interest.

I'm also patiently waiting for ZMF November for some VC :)

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,824 of 9,511
Same. I love the mids & timbre of ZMF and the bass of Audeze.

Some early impressions of the LCD-5 are suggesting it's LCD-4 bass, but with excellent mids. If true, that's piqued my interest.

I'm also patiently waiting for ZMF November for some VC :)
Same & same. :xf_wink: I've had my eye on a Utopia, but was holding off *just in case* Focal made any big announcements this week, but now Audeze has me second guessing everything.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #6,825 of 9,511
I'd take ZMF over Focal or Audeze.

Cons:
Focal: Creaky headbands, headband padding can't be replaced, Utopia prone to driver failures, small soundstage
Audeze: Heavy, poorly fitting headbands, LCD-4 prone to driver failures, not very transparent
ZMF:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back