ZMF Verite Open
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #6,781 of 9,521
I don't hear this recessed mids thing some people mention. Either it's too small to notice on the various amps I use; or my hearing is bad enough that I can't hear it even though it's there...? (my guess is the former)

BTW, it's a stock silkwood VO w/stock pads.
Not so much as the mids are recessed like a V shaped curved but the upper mids have a noticeably drop off in energy and can be immediately apparent even when compared to other zmf headphones such as Aeolus and Auteur. Main complaint I heard regarding that 3k drop off is that it makes female vocals sound lifeless and dull. Personally speaking it doesn't bother me that much but I can certainly understand why it would rub someone the wrong way.

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #6,782 of 9,521
If i may chime in regarding the matter of recessed mids, I must say that it can be pad dependent as well. When i first got my Ironwood VO, i thought it seemed a litlte dry in the mids as well. The hp came with perf universe lambskin pads and those made the mids and vocals a little too boomy for my taste. Back then, i thought maybe thats how the VO supposed to sound (and also i was comparing it to my fully burned in VC). Soon after, i ordered a pair of Universe perf hyrbids and the mids were more enhanced and the boomyness was tamed a little bit. After 100 hrs of burn in, the VO sounds more in line with impression from fellow headfiers. One day, I wanted to try out the BE2 pads that came with the VO (zach included those because he thought those would sound nice) and now thats all i use. The BE2 pads really brought out the mids and also added tons of dynamics to the entire sound. The bass is more controlled, while still being punchy. The treble has a sparkle (like that of Auteur pads, if you have any exp with auteur pads) and the mids and vocals have depth. My only gripe with those pads are the depth of the pad itself. I have moderate size ears so sometimes my ears touch the drivers.

For those who are concerned about mid recession with their VO, plz give the BE2 pads a shot. Right now i am A/B ing between the be2 and universe hybrids and i m gonna post my impressions soon. Hope this helps

Cheers

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #6,783 of 9,521
Added to the ZMF weight spreadsheet in my signature, thanks! Assuming Aluminum chassis.
Yes, these were from the initial LE run. I believe Zach didn't release the magnesium chassis until Verite Open came out?

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #6,785 of 9,521
Just got the BE2 pads for the verite...so smooth and comfy. Too bad I am bad at expressing sound differences but for me it's a step up from the verite pads for sure ^^

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #6,786 of 9,521
Just got the BE2 pads for the verite...so smooth and comfy. Too bad I am bad at expressing sound differences but for me it's a step up from the verite pads for sure ^^
Have you tried the Universe hybrids?

I tried Verite, Universe (hybrid and lambskin), and BE2 hybrid. So far, the Universe hybrid is my preference, though the BE2 seems the most neutral.

But I am not Amir, so neutral be damned (he says as he places the 1/4 jack into a tube amplifier).

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #6,787 of 9,521
The Universe pads shipped together with the verite pads but they are a tad worn out. Wanted to try the BE2 as I don't mind neutral headphones (I also own the Utopia). I might pick up the universe pads again at some point so I can "pad roll" (is that even a word?)

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #6,789 of 9,521
Yeah that's the phrase, as odd as it is. That can be part of the fun...
the ZMF headphones are the only ones I'd considering doing pad rolling with because there is a good amount of different pads to try from the manufacturer himself :D

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #6,790 of 9,521
the ZMF headphones are the only ones I'd considering doing pad rolling with because there is a good amount of different pads to try from the manufacturer himself :D
Yup, Zach had specific tuning in mind when he voiced them. Dan Clark (DCA/Mr. Speakers) had tried it too, but not nearly as many options .

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #6,791 of 9,521
In my honest and humble opinion, the BE2 pads are one of the best ones to use for neutral sounds in the VO. I have a set of Be2 perf lambskin pads that zach himself recommended when he shipped my VO and it gives me the best dynamics out of all the pads. My only issue with it is the depth of the pads. The pads are too thin for my ears. My ears touch the driver with those pads and its a little uncomfortable for me. But for the sound, it sounds just about right. Nothing is elevated, tight controlled bass, smooth liquid mids with lush top end.

The stock, universe perf lamb pads felt a little too boomy in the low end for me. As a result, i have settled with the Universe hybrid perf pads. Those have the depth of a standard pads so the ears sit far away from the driver, which leads to wider soundstage. The subbass is elevated ever so slightly, the mids are still the same and the high end gets a little more sparkle, IMO. It may not be as dynamic as the BE2 pads but the added comfort and soundstages puts it higher than the BE2, YMMV.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #6,792 of 9,521
Agree with what has been said about the BE2 and uni hybrid pads on VO. Would like to offer another opinion and alternative recommendation for the perf uni suede pad; which I have settled on. It retains the holographic soundstage and bass impact of uni lambskin while having the lush mids and neutrality of BE2. It is also probably the most comfortable pad for extensive listening due to the softer material. It has slightly slower transients relative to uni lambskin but sounds much smoother and natural (to my ears). It feels like listening to music in a concert hall.

For those who also own the Aeolus would know uni suede pad is the gold standard/sweet spot. On VO, the uni suede pad has the same timbre as Aeolus while the BE2 pad has the same FR as Aeolus.

Matter of choice. Every pad can be a winner; depending on one’s personal taste and audio chain.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #6,793 of 9,521
Matter of choice. Every pad can be a winner; depending on one’s personal taste and audio chain.
I second pad choice being very chain specific. I have long been a fan of universe perf lambskin, but recently picked up a pair of universe perf hybrid to compare. What I found is that on my preferred chain, Bifrost>Valhalla w/ Siemens E88CC>Verite (which is already optimized to a shocking level of perfection), I still prefer the univ perf lambskin. With the hybrids I felt like the sound became just a little too smooth and lost a touch of warmth (subtle changes, but noticeable). However, on my alternate amp - Lyr 3, which is a bit warmer than Valhalla and has sharper dynamics - I actually prefer the hybrid pads. So it really depends on your entire chain, not JUST the pad.

And the moral of the story is I need to stop trying to improve upon perfection, my preferred chain (including the pads!) is already "just right." :xf_wink:

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #6,794 of 9,521
I'm surprised there aren't full reviews on all the Verite Open pads, I'm curious on how the Be2 Hybrid Perforated Suede/Lambskins sound compared to my Be2 Perforated Suede pads.

For the Perforated Suede, almost everything is perfect for me, its just the vocals that are just a bit distant.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #6,795 of 9,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back