ZMF Verite Open
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #2,431 of 9,521
Nope. While I did like the Meze quite a bit,it sounded too...linear,for a lack of better word. I prefer the musicality of the Verite more,but you're right,for me,it wasnt a case where I loved one and hated the other. I could easily live with either as my end-game headphone. It just so happens,for my preferred tastes,I made the right choice. YMMV.

Cool. I can understand that. I like that you are giving a fair assessment rather than say...."This Verite blows away the Empyrean". Believe it or not, I think the other real competitor to the Verite is the 4/4z. Despite their different MSRP's, the street prices are really not far off and the sound too.

He did ziricote in both the aeolus and verite already. Also, the quantity remaining on the Auteur cocobolos was removed from the website a week or two ago. Seems like he purchased to replenish both.
It's good to see a variety of woods being used. Loved the Zircote though. That should be a permanent, premium wood for all of his open backs.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #2,432 of 9,521
I just ordered a pair of Verite Cocobolo's though.

I spoke to Zachary a bit ago and he said Cocobolo is the next LTD edition

Ooooo.... Cocobolo Verite next?!? You have my attention, now lets see how my savings are catching up. Anyone needs their car washed or lawn mowed?

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2,434 of 9,521
Cool. I can understand that. I like that you are giving a fair assessment rather than say...."This Verite blows away the Empyrean". Believe it or not, I think the other real competitor to the Verite is the 4/4z. Despite their different MSRP's, the street prices are really not far off and the sound too.

Yeah,I mean I learned a lot from being involved in this community and from owning various gear over the years. One of the important things Ive learned is much of what you are told is quite subjective. With so many variables in play,from upstream gear,to musical tastes,preferences. It all adds up to what can be a wildly different opinion from one person to the next. Hence why I try to be as objective as possible when I post on this forum,or in my video reviews. It can be a thin line to walk at times though.

I havent heard the LCD-4,but it obviously has many fans. I'd like to check it out someday.

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #2,435 of 9,521
I got my Audio Battlestation Version 3.4 done, I'm still on a sell-off of excess gear, but more or less everything in the picture is staying. My record player and Vinyl collection may be moved downstairs, for easier enjoyment when we have guests, or my daughter wants to dance to "Music, papa!!". The ZMFs are definitively staying! Don't mind the AKG box that will probably be a gift at some point (unopened).

Also, I can't get enough of the Verites with my Tube amps, I have them on a quick switch paired with the Airist R-2R DAC, they all have different flavors, my favorite is still the BHC+SB. The Cayin HA-1A MKII is pretty neutral, and the EC ZDT Jr, is pretty damn fun, and almost gets me to the BHC level of enjoyment...but has limited tube rolling options.

Currently really enjoying the speed and clean sound out of the SPL Phonitor XE. Fun Solid State and honestly I may have to give up the THX-789 soon, as it is just gathering dust and is just used as a passthrough currently.

I honestly could probably get rid of everything except my ZMFs and my new toy... as far as headphones...but everything there has some limited sentimental or aesthetic reason for keeping. Plus, options for comparing when doing reviews lol.

PSX_20190717_162212 (1).jpg

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #2,436 of 9,521
Yeah,I mean I learned a lot from being involved in this community and from owning various gear over the years. One of the important things Ive learned is much of what you are told is quite subjective. With so many variables in play,from upstream gear,to musical tastes,preferences. It all adds up to what can be a wildly different opinion from one person to the next. Hence why I try to be as objective as possible when I post on this forum,or in my video reviews. It can be a thin line to walk at times though.
^^**THIS**^^

Yes we try to be objective (most of us anyway I think) but in the end what we're doing is describing what we perceive. which is subjective . It's extremely hard to filter preferences out I think, and you do an admirable job IMO.

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,437 of 9,521
^^**THIS**^^

Yes, we try to be objective (most of us anyway I think) but in the end what we're doing is describing what we perceive. which is subjective. It's extremely hard to filter preferences out I think, and you do an admirable job IMO.
Yes! I only really do reviews on another site, and honestly I just lean into the subjective nature of it =) but I try to be very upfront about that, and I try to be as objective as possible where able. But like you say...at the end of the day we all hear things differently (even if slightly), we all have different preferences, experiences (life, music, what have you, all flavor our individual perspectives).

But that is why I think I can stay so engaged in this hobby...so many different options/nuances and overall enjoyable new experiences to be had. For me, that is where I get a lot of enjoyment, finding a new sound, based off gear, that allows me to hear my favorite/new music in ways I haven't before =) Music at the end of the day is why I enjoy my gear the most and having the different headphones and amps/DACs to bring more enjoyment or transport me to a time and place is why I dive so deep here.

Plus at the end of the day a nice whiskey or sipping rum and some great gear and music is one of the best ways to just let the day go :wink:

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #2,438 of 9,521
Coco Verite? Special one off order from Zach?

I spoke to Zachary a bit ago and he said Cocobolo is the next LTD edition

I’m all over that.

When do they add the newest limiteds?

I remember reading that Zach said that he he was going to change it up every ~4 months. I just wanted something different than the silkwood and wanted the full warranty.

I also picked up one of the new headphone stands that they have been working on. I'm super excited for the both of them.

Yep yep yep - I'll have Cocobolo on the website by the end of the weekend and will send out an email blast and all that. I also will strive to have the headphone stands up. They turned out great. We did Cherry, Katalox, Bocote, and Purple Heart for the stands.

Aren’t the Auteur still being built with Cocobolo? Would Zach build his two top cans with the same special wood?

I took the quota off the website for the Cocobolo auteur's, I have some stock left, but I'm unhappy with a lot of the cup matches, so I may take them off when we run out of nicely matched sets and make the mismatched sets when I find the time for shows and such.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #2,439 of 9,521
Yep yep yep - I'll have Cocobolo on the website by the end of the weekend and will send out an email blast and all that. I also will strive to have the headphone stands up. They turned out great. We did Cherry, Katalox, Bocote, and Purple Heart for the stands.

I took the quota off the website for the Cocobolo auteur's, I have some stock left, but I'm unhappy with a lot of the cup matches, so I may take them off when we run out of nicely matched sets and make the mismatched sets when I find the time for shows and such.
Very much so looking forward to the stands! I’ll try and keep an eye out for the email and refresh the webpage, to see when they go live! Super stoked for these!

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,440 of 9,521
Yes! I only really do reviews on another site, and honestly I just lean into the subjective nature of it =) but I try to be very upfront about that, and I try to be as objective as possible where able.
Exactly...as long as you're upfront, one really can't ask for more than that.

It's when people try to pass of their subjective observations as objective gospel that I have a problem.

Music at the end of the day is why I enjoy my gear the most and having the different headphones and amps/DACs to bring more enjoyment or transport me to a time and place is why I dive so deep here.
I think that's true for most of us...and to segue back to ZMF, I think that's why there's such a big following, I believe Zach tries to voice the headphones to serve the music first, maximize that emotional attachment.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #2,441 of 9,521
Exactly...as long as you're upfront, one really can't ask for more than that.

It's when people try to pass of their subjective observations as objective gospel that I have a problem.

I think that's true for most of us...and to segue back to ZMF, I think that's why there's such a big following, I believe Zach tries to voice the headphones to serve the music first, maximize that emotional attachment.
I'm hoping that these will sort of replace my HD800s. And I think it may for this exact reason. While technically HD800s are a really great pair of headphones, I don't want a pair of headphones simply because the frequency response chart is shaped a particular way, I want a pair that I enjoy listening to. I find myself falling back to my LCD-2C much more for general purpose listening.

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,442 of 9,521
subjective observations as objective gospel that I have a problem.

I have great disdain for people that do this, you are not the end all be all, and your small mob of followers boosting your ego is just that, small! Ergh...irritates me because they become blockers to new people joining our hobby, and instill bias where there shouldn’t be any(even though we all have bias, most can recognize it in themselves).

I think that's why there's such a big following, I believe Zach tries to voice the headphones to serve the music first, maximize that emotional attachment.

This 100% especially after meeting Zach and Bevin, they are “unicorns/white whales” or what have you, for unique and wonderful people, that create, for me, at least the most enjoyable headphones I’ve heard to date. I can’t sing their praise enough, the Verite is just pure enjoyment for me at the end of the day. I love trying it with my different amps, DACs and different tracks to hear all the different ways the tracks get presented, so much fun! Damn now I don’t want to be at work but at home listening to my gear lol

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,443 of 9,521
Am I correct in remembering that I read here that ZMF headphones require a lot of break in time. How many hours do you think is advisable for Verite?

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,444 of 9,521
Am I correct in remembering that I read here that ZMF headphones require a lot of break in time. How many hours do you think is advisable for Verite?
Minimum 150hr... More the better

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #2,445 of 9,521
Zach recommends around 300 I believe for Verite and 150 on there rest of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back