ZMF Verite Open
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #9,391 of 9,521
Have you tried Meze offerings? If i remember abyss diana v1 was airy too it is more into neutral instead of warm. ZMF offering are all always a tendency to be warm and thick in character.

I’ve not tried Meze and probably because I don’t like their aesthetics if I’m honest … I’ve got my ZMF’s on eBay and looking to audition what T&A offer.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #9,392 of 9,521
With most ZMF's I have a clear preference for certain pads, but with the VO I always find myself going back and forth between the BE2 and the Universe. I find the BE2's to be a little more neutral, harder hitting, with a smaller but maybe more clearly defined soundstage. With the Universe pads, the 3D soundstage is really something else... CRAZY good.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the Universe pads have changed over the years? I recently got a new set that looks more perforated than the ones I've used for several years. The dimensions look exactly the same. I haven't had a chance to compare the sound, but I thought this was interesting.

Old pads on the left, new ones on the right:

20240115-104447.jpg

20240115-104536.jpg
Hi, last summer I bought a second pair of Universe lambskin perf from a dealer, just to have a replacement for the future (I like this pad with the VO)

What I notice is that, in my case, they seem to be made of different materials (maybe use is the cause), but the number of holes seems to be similar. (picture 1)

For me, your new pad is more similar to the BE2 in number of holes, but the shape is slightly different. Curious to read how it affects the sound. (picture 2)

Edit: As I look again to your pictures, I think your new pad could be a BE2 perhaps a little bit thicker

Both Universe:

1705437480145.jpeg

BE2 (left) and Universe (right):

1705437507632.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #9,393 of 9,521
Hi, last summer I bought a second pair of Universe lambskin perf from a dealer, just to have a replacement for the future (I like this pad with the VO)

What I notice is that, in my case, they seem to be made of different materials (maybe use is the cause), but the number of holes seems to be similar. (picture 1)

For me, your new pad is more similar to the BE2 in number of holes, but the shape is slightly different. Curious to read how it affects the sound. (picture 2)

Edit: As I look again to your pictures, I think your new pad could be a BE2 perhaps a little bit thicker

Both Universe:

1705437480145.jpeg

BE2 (left) and Universe (right):

1705437507632.jpeg

It's possible, but I'm pretty sure both of the pairs that I posted are Universe. I've got a multiple other BE2 pads and they are all thinner. You're right though, the perforation on my newer Universe looks like it matches up with the BE2 in your photo.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #9,394 of 9,521
Something definitely sounds wrong to me people are going to vibe with headphones differently and I think that is totally fine our ears are all shaped differently and there are highly regarded headphones that I am not a big fan of but some of the things that are being said just sound so far off like BE2 causing the bass to bleed into the mids more than any of the other pads. BE2 is the most linear set of pads because it puts the driver closest to your ear. It isn't a subjective thing it's measurable and repeatable and it's basically the point of those pads is to create the most linear sound. Some people like that and some people don't but the effect of the pads on the bass is consistent. I don't see any way that these would cause more bass to be present than the other pads, that part makes absolutely no sense to me. I almost wonder if the pads are mislabeled or they got mixed up somehow. BE2 should be the thinnest pads and have the least amount of taper meaning one side isn't going to be much thicker than another side where other pads have a bigger difference with a thick side and a thin side and will overall be thicker.

Honestly at this point I would see if there is a member that lives near you or a shop where you can bring your set in and compare it to someone else's set. I'd normally say the headphone may just not be a good fit for you but this does sound like something strange is going on.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #9,395 of 9,521
They actually get worse once you figure out they are heavily compressed when it comes to harmonics ..
Really?

There are at least 3 things in that one sentence that I totally disagree with...

PS: I got behind in reading posts to this thread (5-6 pages behind). Just read all those posts and realize others have, uhm, reacted to this post. Have no wish to contribute to a flame war, so I'll show myself out now

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #9,396 of 9,521
Really?

There are at least 3 things in that one sentence that I totally disagree with...

PS: I got behind in reading posts to this thread (5-6 pages behind). Just read all those posts and realize others have, uhm, reacted to this post. Have no wish to contribute to a flame war, so I'll show myself out now
1000001962.gif

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #9,397 of 9,521
Really?

Others bring me unfortunately……. I went way overboard and to all members except one, I apologize for my unprofessional actions. This one member has continually bagged the vo with absolute rubbish claims. People tried to help him and then he continued to make bizarre claims like they sounded great in the morning but by night they were rubbish. I got so sick of him I responded badly. I don’t normally react to audiophools but this one drove me to the exception. Sorry people-it’s 99% a wonderful group here and these headphones are amazing! It’s me who should take leave……

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #9,399 of 9,521
Others bring me unfortunately……. I went way overboard and to all members except one, I apologize for my unprofessional actions. This one member has continually bagged the vo with absolute rubbish claims. People tried to help him and then he continued to make bizarre claims like they sounded great in the morning but by night they were rubbish. I got so sick of him I responded badly. I don’t normally react to audiophools but this one drove me to the exception. Sorry people-it’s 99% a wonderful group here and these headphones are amazing! It’s me who should take leave……

I was hoping after a period of reflection you could be the bigger man and apologise to myself for your awful behaviour ... You have no reason to apologise to the others as your vitriol was squarely aimed at myself. I'm sure I'm not the only individual who has a negative opinion on these headphones and most people who don't like them will likely quietly list them for sale and move on. Just because my opinion differs from yours please don't refer to me as an audiophool and maybe work on your triggers as my comments certainly didn't deserve the hostility you posted my way.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #9,400 of 9,521
Maybe take all of this to DM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #9,402 of 9,521
Remember, the ignore feature is your friend.

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #9,404 of 9,521
I was also confused because to my ear and after demo ing asking people around nobody hear VO like he did. I wonder if his unit is defective or HRTF issue. I dont think we need to bash people with unique hearing/unit. At least at this point all of us knew he have unique case.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #9,405 of 9,521
I was also confused because to my ear and after demo ing asking people around nobody hear VO like he did. I wonder if his unit is defective or HRTF issue. I dont think we need to bash people with unique hearing/unit. At least at this point all of us knew he have unique case.
Agree and I again apologize. I was in full support of him at the start until he then made simply ridiculous claims and just kept saying how inferior they were. People tried to help him and one ended up
Posting regretting helping him. Please go back and look at all his posts. I strongly believe he is simply a lurker/trouble maker and attention seeker. This is why I became angry with his contradictory statements and continual bashing of a wonderful headphone. Yes we all hear differently and have different experiences. But I implore you to go back and see all of his posts. Anyway, my rant over and time to just enjoy the music.

And if you ask me to leave this group because of my prior rants, I would do so. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back