ZMF Verite Open
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #9,361 of 9,561
My ZMF balanced cable arrived today, so for the first time, I'm hearing my VO Camphor Burl through my new WA22. Holy s***t!! The push, low midrange, and punch are just superb. The headphones feel like they're firing on all cylinders and sound superb.

Joojbdl.jpg
Are those stock tubes? Looks stunning.

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #9,362 of 9,561
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #9,363 of 9,561
Got my ZMFs last month, but only put about 10 hours on them. I was wondering if burning would make a difference in those two areas :
Sub bass and lower-mids(500hz)?
Bass seem to already improving but that mid region seem a tad too forward. Maybe pads or tube change could help, but wandering if I should give it more time ?
Using the Be2 lamb.
3B051085-C7D6-4073-82F0-C9BD9D983A02.jpeg

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #9,364 of 9,561
Got my ZMFs last month, but only put about 10 hours on them. I was wondering if burning would make a difference in those two areas :
Bass seem to already improving but that mid region seem a tad too forward. Maybe pads or tube change could help, but wandering if I should give it more time ?
Using the Be2 lamb.
I'd give it some more time, but switching to the Perforated Universe Lambskin pads will give you a boost in those frequencies, and move everything back slightly.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #9,365 of 9,561
Using the Be2 lamb.

Definitely worth to try universe perforated pad first before changing cable/tube.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #9,366 of 9,561
My favourite pad with VO to date is hybrid universe, feels like exactly the right balance between airyness and bass

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #9,367 of 9,561
Using the Be2 lamb.

They actually get worse once you figure out they are heavily compressed when it comes to harmonics ...

For certain tracks they can sound very good but for the majority, once you understand what dynamic range and note extension represents, then they are a disappointment for sure ...

For what they cost you can do much better for half the price although they do look pretty.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #9,368 of 9,561
LOL.

The VO is a fantastic headphone. It might not suite your taste, but that's a different story. It's a TOTL that sounds amazing, especially on tubes.
The midrange is actually not that forward compared to other ZMF's. Have you heard a VC or anything else from ZMF? The VC has a midrange that's way more close up (i found it shouty), the Atrium Open has rolled off treble and bass, it's like a super HD650 (so also focused on mids). The only ZMF that might have an even more laid-back midrange (and that aspect is NOT the ZMF housesound) might be the Caldera, and that's neutral in that aspect i would say, although it also have some warmth.

What you have to do: Try different pads if you're not satisfied.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #9,369 of 9,561
Using the Be2 lamb.
10 hours is nothing. I thought I didn’t like the VO at first. Don’t pass judgement until they have played for at least 100 hours. Now I love them.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #9,370 of 9,561
LOL.

The VO is a fantastic headphone. It might not suite your taste, but that's a different story. It's a TOTL that sounds amazing, especially on tubes.
The midrange is actually not that forward compared to other ZMF's. Have you heard a VC or anything else from ZMF? The VC has a midrange that's way more close up (i found it shouty), the Atrium Open has rolled off treble and bass, it's like a super HD650 (so also focused on mids). The only ZMF that might have an even more laid-back midrange (and that aspect is NOT the ZMF housesound) might be the Caldera, and that's neutral in that aspect i would say, although it also have some warmth.

I actually really like this headphone! Just nitpicking and adjusting to my personal taste. Just didn’t wanna do anything before I’m sure it’s burned in.
Also waiting on a Norne cable to use the balanced output of the amp. That may change things a bit too. The single ended output is 228mw (300ohms) compared to the 900mw of the balanced. I’m at volume 56 out of 63 max in single ended.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #9,371 of 9,561
I'm certainly not saying everyone has to love these headphones …
You’re much too polite. Let me help.

EVERYONE
MUST
LOVE
THESE
HEADPHONES!

I wanted to make sure it could be read without anyone needing their reading glasses.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #9,372 of 9,561
Nope just with the Verite ...

The Be2 are still an unlistenable muddy mess whereas the caldera pads are a joy! Caldera pads it is and I'll just put the Be2's back in their box and forget about them.
I've been wondering the same thing. The VO were awful, then they were just awful in the morning, then suddenly they were a joy with the Caldera pads. As much as pads can change things, it's literally not possible for them to be a muddy mess with the neutral BE-2 pads which make them sound even more detailed and then somehow a joy with Caldera pads, and then a few days later terrible and overpriced again. Headphones don't magicaly sound different based on time of day. No winning with some people and it was a mistake on my part to try to help in this case.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #9,373 of 9,561
You’re much too polite. Let me help.

EVERYONE
MUST
LOVE
THESE
HEADPHONES!

I wanted to make sure it could be read without anyone needing their reading glasses.
Haha - these are my first ZMFs (just ordered the Bokey too). I'd demoed almost all models in the past, including a week at home with Calderas. For me though, these win by a country mile (haven't herad VCs though). They sound beautiful on my Crackatwoa but different again and wonderful on my 2 OTC tube amps and then Sparkos seems to bring a little more punch and clarity again (but none sound bad AT ALL)!!!!! And yes, I do LOVE THESE HEADPHONES!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #9,374 of 9,561
LOL.

Yeah I've owned the VC, Auteur and Atrium ... And agree with your opinion that the Atrium's bass rolls off although I found it shouty on some tracks but I think my chain wasn't optimal at the time. Currently using a Chord Hugo 2 (with 2go) into a Feliks Euforia AE so defiantly an optimal setup with it comes to ZMF.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #9,375 of 9,561
Not personal insults.....yet (except the one about you living with mum......)....but seriously you have some issues with your aural experience (that wasn't personal). You (and this is factual) a: have a defective pair, b: have some serious hearing issues (which you need to seek an audiologist for help), c: cannot recognise quality audio, d: have a serious issue with your chain or e: are just a troll (that was personal ONLY IF you are a troll, trying to stir up negativity in a wonderful group of headphone owners).
Given you have history with ZMF, return the coonts, don't EVER buy ZMF again and fook off!!!!!!

Classy, Andrew ...

I think with all 'gear forums' there needs to be balance, be that good or bad, and both sides need to understand that and react and debate the merits, experiences and even agree to disagree. What is key is that we interact with each other respectfully even when we have opposite opinions.

To reply to your suggestions, I won’t be selling my VO’s and I’m certainly not trolling and wont FO as you put it.

What I will do is provide balance … So, if someone comes to the forum asking for honest opinions on this headphone then I will share my appraisal with them. They can then make a judgement for themselves, but I think it is important that amongst a sea of praise to have a counter as to what this headphone short comings are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back