ZMF Verite Open
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #7,846 of 9,512
Maybe it's just my hearing? The LCD-4 is also know to have a dip in the treble, and it's the most natural sounding headphone to me period. Anyone else have thoughts on this? What is it about the VO's wonky, dippy frequency response that makes it sound so realistic?
I can't say for sure why it sounded more natural for you and but based on my experience I think it may be the fact that it's transients aren't as zippy as something like a Utopia and the VO have a more sustained decay compared to the Utopia and that to my ears perceived this as more lifelike so perhaps this has more to do with it than frequency response. Neutrality does not equate natural imo.

Whoa there, I don't know about all that. :wink: VO is my sidepiece, but Utopia is my everything. I think there's room for both, they are very different flavors. Glad you found your forever love, though. :)
No wrong answer here. I personally ranked Atrium over the other VO and Utopia but these 3 are clearly a cut above the other dynamic driver headphones to my ears.

And who said anything about forever love? I've already placed an order for an Atrium and am making plans for a Susvara :wink:
The Atrium matches the natural sounding aspect of the VO with a more even midrange. I think you're going to enjoy it.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #7,847 of 9,512
Very uncomfortable indeed! I remember trying to play a Flying V sitting down and just wondering "How does this work??" But yes, fantastic sound. The ES-335's as well!

Wow that's amazing! I was inspired by Knopfler's instruments, which is why I had the '58 reissue along with the strat. Hearing the sound of those guitars live when he was still touring (out of a pair of Komet amps I believe) was the most thrilling experience in guitar tone imaginable. I've given up hope that any sound system - headphone or 2-channel - can replicate that experience.
Flying V’s are actually very comfortable sitting down if you put the lower wing between your legs and it puts the neck at a similar level as if you were standing up. Standing, it’s very lightweight. It might be counter intuitive but I prefer it to other electrics sitting down.

What really throws me for a loop, is The Kink’s Dave Davies back in the day playing the way that apparently had been intended originally… standing with the picking hand in between the wings.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #7,848 of 9,512
Flying V’s are actually very comfortable sitting down if you put the lower wing between your legs and it puts the neck at a similar level as if you were standing up. Standing, it’s very lightweight. It might be counter intuitive but I prefer it to other electrics sitting down.
This makes so much sense!! Thanks, loving the guitar wisdom on this thread. Next time I find myself playing one, I'll know how to do it :sunglasses:

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #7,849 of 9,512
I’ve got an old Jackson Rhoads, which is the most well-balanced V guitar I’ve ever played.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #7,850 of 9,512
Man I hate the fact that I'm quitting full size headphones cuz I'm listening to VO again and it's so damn tactile in its delivery, this is by far the most I've ever enjoyed listening to some of my acoustic music collection. It's an odd one, you put this can on randomly and depending on the recording it's sheer capability really excels.

Listening to Egberto Gismonti/Nana Vasconcelos on the Duas Vozes (1985) record, I loved hearing this on the VC for its timbre, decay and detail but the VO upps it on the detail and spatial cues going on in the studio, also imaging is much improved with VO. With Egberto's pitch shift effect on his extended guitars for the octaves and 5ths he adds, I can clearly tell them apart from the fundamental notes, again a trick planars can do well but can lack weight & density by comparison.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #7,851 of 9,512
Man I hate the fact that I'm quitting full size headphones cuz I'm listening to VO again and it's so damn tactile in its delivery, this is by far the most I've ever enjoyed listening to some of my acoustic music collection. It's an odd one, you put this can on randomly and depending on the recording it's sheer capability really excels.

Listening to Egberto Gismonti/Nana Vasconcelos on the Duas Vozes (1985) record, I loved hearing this on the VC for its timbre, decay and detail but the VO upps it on the detail and spatial cues going on in the studio, also imaging is much improved with VO. With Egberto's pitch shift effect on his extended guitars for the octaves and 5ths he adds, I can clearly tell them apart from the fundamental notes, again a trick planars can do well but can lack weight & density by comparison.
Most of the "high resolution" (highly resolving) headphones I've heard really announce their resolution. They sound authoritative, emphatic, dynamic. They lead with resolution; it's one of the first things I notice when I listen. Often (but not always) all that resolution is accompanied a spotlighted treble and upper midrange...often enough that I more or less expect some degree of edge enhancement when I strap on a high resolution endgame headphone.

The VO is nothing like that. It leads with an ear-friendly, comfortable sound emphasizing tone & timbre of musical instruments/voices...the kind of sound I easily get lost in. But then I notice all the resolution and speed. The VO's driver is fast as hell and the details never stop coming. This is stealth resolution--not the first thing I notice, but then I totally get caught up in it.

@haasaaroni said the sound of the VO is an enigma to him. I agree. IMO that comment is insightful about the VO, the sound of which somehow manages to surprise me every time out. Maybe it's because my expectations of the sound are triggered by the gentle, balanced tone it has up front, with zero brightness or aggression--and then I get surprised all over again by the resolution.

The VO's sound is a real magic trick, one I never seem to tire of...

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #7,852 of 9,512
I've recently started listening to my VO again after months of listening to the Atrium. Decided to breakout the stock universe pads I've kept in storage for the past few years since I preferred the tuning of the BE2 and Verite pads and boy was it a treat. I'm instantly reminded of the layering and separation capabilities of the VO as the Universe pads really accentuate the VO's microdynamic. These pads are darker sounding than the Verite and BE2 pads but much better at portraying the VO's technical capabilities particularly it's larger stage width and separation/layering of notes with noticeably more air and space within each individual instruments within the mix. As noted by @folkguy, the VO is insanely tactile and you can feel every single pluck and pull. There's also the way this headphone stages. There's this mild sense of sound coming from around your head and this effect is also present on the other pads but on the universe pads it is surreal and almost haunting. The thinner padding that separate the drivers from the ear provide better clarity and does wonders for vocals. I'm glad I break out my universe pads for my listening as I'm reminded of why I got this headphone in the first place. Subjectively speaking, the darker tonality may not lend itself well to certain music I listened to but as a showcase of VO's technicality there's no better pad. The Atrium does things that are different and in some aspect better than the VO but the VO is no doubt a unique headphone and one that will remain in my stable for years to come.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #7,853 of 9,512
The Atrium does things that are different and in some aspect better than the VO but the VO is no doubt a unique headphone and one that will remain in my stable for years to come.
The VO's sound is a real magic trick, one I never seem to tire of...
Well, folks, I’m starting to think the VO might have to be my next (last?) headphone purchase… that would set me up with two bio-cellulose ZMF driver headphones, open & closed (Auteur & Eikon, of course), and one closed Be-based driver closed headphone (Stellia) and a Be-based driver open pair with VOs.

Can’t ask for more, really. Unless the ZMF madness takes me and I love the VO so much that the Stellia has to yield to a VC a few months later. Time will tell. 😆

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #7,854 of 9,512
Ferric arrived today. The gold resin on these is truly remarkable.

685EC719-EF68-44AA-9041-C671202CFD1B.jpegA7AED391-B9FA-4444-B573-832B4CBFEF20.jpeg04EC317B-2298-416F-A060-887D59FE254E.jpeg

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #7,855 of 9,512
Aug 7, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #7,859 of 9,512
I have a stock Verite and got it in a wooden box, not sure about how it is now. Maybe @zach915m could comment. This wooden box really looks nice.
Really, nice. yea, the ones in the photo look great. The older ones had dovetails, the above phono doesn't look like dove tails at all. Looks like 90 degree glue ups and a nice routed corner. Dovertails look great, but do take a lot of effort to get looking perfect every time. That case above looks very sturdy compared to the older ones. The hinges look like they are on the outside of the case, vs the old ones being internal. The internal look nicer, but do make for some other issues. Personally, the ones outside function better and you dont focus on the back anyways.

Would love to see more of that box.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #7,860 of 9,512
Really, nice. yea, the ones in the photo look great. The older ones had dovetails, the above phono doesn't look like dove tails at all. Looks like 90 degree glue ups and a nice routed corner. Dovertails look great, but do take a lot of effort to get looking perfect every time. That case above looks very sturdy compared to the older ones. The hinges look like they are on the outside of the case, vs the old ones being internal. The internal look nicer, but do make for some other issues. Personally, the ones outside function better and you dont focus on the back anyways.

Would love to see more of that box.

I’ll get some more photos of the box later. It is a really nice wooden box and better constructed / nicer choice of wood than the VC I had from the Nov drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back