ZMF Verite Open
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #5,282 of 9,518
How are your pheasantwoods looking without any treatment?

I bought a 2nd hand pair here and while I’ve got no sonic or comfort complaints.

The finish on mines is peeling and is giving way to an uneven look that while doesn’t affect my overall sense enjoyment it...it’s not exactly ideal (in my specific case) in a $2600 headphone
So the Pheasantwoods do have a different finish than the newest models.

I like the oil finish look on yours. I’m going to rub on some fretboard wax and see how it looks.

As beautiful as the burls and figures are I think the Pheasantwoods are one of the nicest tone woods on the Verite so far.

We did a very thin varnish finish on the pheasantwoods that will wear naturally especially in spots that are touched often (from hand oils), and yes it is different than what we currently use, but unfortunately many owners took to them and instead of leaving them be, and just using a dry cloth to wipe them used polishing agent, etc etc on them and caused the finish to wear more quickly. I wouldn't recommend rubbing anything further on them, as other compounds and substances likely will make the finish worse.

We likely won't use that finish again, since it likes to be left alone and I understand the proclivity of owners wanting to continuously polish their headphones and apply substances to them, so we've altered what we use to allow more for that.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #5,283 of 9,518
So the Pheasantwoods do have a different finish than the newest models.

I like the oil finish look on yours. I’m going to rub on some fretboard wax and see how it looks.

As beautiful as the burls and figures are I think the Pheasantwoods are one of the nicest tone woods on the Verite so far.

Nah true, I always think there's some different vibe on pheasantwood, like it feels more mature and retro at the same time compare to other woods. At least it is unique enough for me to not purchase the camphor burl (almost tho!).

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #5,284 of 9,518
I know exactly what you mean. The wood reminds me of an antique instrument or cabinet.

The finish kind of reminds of Fender moving from the original nitro cellulose finishes that were very delicate but eventually were sought after because the wood “breathes better”.

And I agree with you there but I’m going to cave in for a new closed pair eventually....

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #5,287 of 9,518
Ok. His complaint about it crushing your hair (especially since he has none on top) is non issue.

As a long haired guy. It presents no problems IME but I’ll agree about Zach’s cables :darthsmile:
43FFA9CF-0157-4D6B-8719-0BF4408E61B9.jpeg

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #5,288 of 9,518
One thing, is your earpad on the right rotated correctly? I noticed the seam isn't matching with the other when you're facing the camera.

I wasn't actually listening at the time. They were a prop and the ear pads came off a few times during filming.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #5,289 of 9,518
Ok. His complaint about it crushing your hair (especially since he has none on top) is non issue.

When you have so little, every follicle counts.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #5,292 of 9,518
Anyone with multiple BE-2 Pads care to explain the differences between them all? (Hybrid, Lambskin and Suade) I've thrown in a pair of universe suede pads but tempted to order 2 more pairs and curious what I should get..

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #5,293 of 9,518

As a long haired guy. It presents no problems IME but I’ll agree about Zach’s cables :darthsmile:
43FFA9CF-0157-4D6B-8719-0BF4408E61B9.jpeg
Is the silver cable in the image the Verite Silver (Pure 4-wire silver version)?

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #5,294 of 9,518
Anyone with multiple BE-2 Pads care to explain the differences between them all? (Hybrid, Lambskin and Suade) I've thrown in a pair of universe suede pads but tempted to order 2 more pairs and curious what I should get..
I did a shootout of them-- somewhat unsuccessful. Not my best effort but FWIW, here ya go.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #5,295 of 9,518
I don't think Zach should connect 50 headphones at once and "break them in" wasting electricity and especially space that he could use for other stuff (storage for instance or no necessity to up his rental costs etc. by setting up a burn-in station).

The Verité are already great from the start and after some time you really appreciate what they intentionally do. Just try enjoy that period. It's already precious time and those 100 hours amass easily. I have never had a headphone that I disliked first or thought "yeah, well, it's ok" and then liked it much better after some "burn in".

Also, pad options are important to tailor the sound to your liking and not to annoy you. They are also no sign that Zach does not know how the Verité should sound like. He has his preferences but so do you.

I rolled pads for all my Hifiman until I found what I like best for each of them. None of them are similar through the entire OG lineup and none of my options are a 100% hit with other people's ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back