ZMF Verite Open
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,172 of 9,535
That is some very contrasting and beautiful colours there!! Congrats!
What do you think of the Einvaldi on the Verité? :)
Im still waiting for my verite to come in but I bought a draug silver for mine!

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,173 of 9,535

I think all Norne cables are beautifully crafted and reasonably priced. I use this cable w/ the 4Z so I'm glad ZMF uses the same connector. I have not tried the stock ZMF cable so no comment on sound comparison. To be honest I find cables to have minimal affect on SQ, I mainly purchase them for aesthetics and ergonomics.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,175 of 9,535
Did you pick those cables as "fashion accessories" for this particular headphone? 'Cause that whole thing looks so fine...

(think those are Eidolic connectors on cable...? love that look)

I must (shamefully) admit aesthetics tend to factor into my gear choices. I figure it doubles as decor when not in use. :p And yep Eidolic on both ends.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,176 of 9,535
Im still waiting for my verite to come in but I bought a draug silver for mine!
Yeah the Draug geometry is really nice. I've had the Solv Hybrid, the precursor of the current Einvaldi when I first got the Eikon. Left me a wonderful impression!

I think all Norne cables are beautifully crafted and reasonably priced. I use this cable w/ the 4Z so I'm glad ZMF uses the same connector. I have not tried the stock ZMF cable so no comment on sound comparison. To be honest I find cables to have minimal affect on SQ, I mainly purchase them for aesthetics and ergonomics.
In my case it's both ergonomics, looks and a small "change" in the sound's flavor. When things are built with passion they come out leaving a lasting impression to their owners (ZMF, Norne, Glenn etc) :)

Did you pick those cables as "fashion accessories" for this particular headphone? 'Cause that whole thing looks so fine...

(think those are Eidolic connectors on cable...? love that look)
Hey P. check both Zach's and Trevor's cables! Both offer some of the most unique looks :wink:

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,177 of 9,535
You know Id really love to have a glenn otl but man I hear it's a huge money sink to get tubes you like. Then tubes are expensive and they dont last. Im a gamer as well so id put a lot of hours on tubes. Idk if it would be worth it for me.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,178 of 9,535
You know Id really love to have a glenn otl but man I hear it's a huge money sink to get tubes you like. Then tubes are expensive and they dont last. Im a gamer as well so id put a lot of hours on tubes. Idk if it would be worth it for me.

It doesn't have to be too expensive, only if you start tube rolling does it get expensive. If you go through the OTL thread, you will find that the 6x6BX7 combo is regarded as one of the best, and it isn't that expensive to get 6 of those. I got 6 for less than $100.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,179 of 9,535
It's the input tube you will probably want to dump the most $ on in a 6x6BX7 setup. That, and air conditioning.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,181 of 9,535
How long do tubes typically last? How know absolutely nothing about tubes. I don't know what a 6x6bx7 means lol

Most tubes will last longer than you'll ever need them to.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,182 of 9,535

On most tube amps this is true. Not on the GOTL. Glenn designs his amps not only to be a tube rollers dream(if thats your thing)but to so also sound great with inexpensive tubes as well.
Opt for the 6/12/25v switch on your build and you can run 12v and 25v variants of the more commonly used,and thus much more expensive 6v versions.
I don't know what a 6x6bx7 means lol

6BX7 is a tube type. In the Glenn theyre power tubes. You can run 4 or 6 of them,thus 6x 6BX7s.

50170572_365175930946549_7237673879840227328_o.jpg

So starting on the right hand side you will notice an empty socket.This where I can roll in a 6v,12,or 25v driver. My amp has the C3g option,which you can use instead of a standard driver. Those are the black tubes behind the empty socket. $125.00 for the pair.
Behind those are chrome topped tubes. Six of them. Those are the 6BX7s. $140.00 for six,but can be found cheaper.

Front left you will see a short flat,ugly looking thing. Thats a HEXFRED,which replaces a rectifier tube. Essentially it provides the clean tight bass of a solid state while still enjoying the tube sound in the rest of the sound. My amp can also use rectifier tubes,so if I want a tighter cleaner sound I use HEXFRED. If I want a more tubey sound I pull the HEXFRED out and roll in a rectifier.

IMO the GOTL is one of the best bang for the buck pieces of gear available.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,183 of 9,535
On most tube amps this is true. Not on the GOTL. Glenn designs his amps not only to be a tube rollers dream(if thats your thing)but to so also sound great with inexpensive tubes as well.
Opt for the 6/12/25v switch on your build and you can run 12v and 25v variants of the more commonly used,and thus much more expensive 6v versions.

6BX7 is a tube type. In the Glenn theyre power tubes. You can run 4 or 6 of them,thus 6x 6BX7s.

So starting on the right hand side you will notice an empty socket.This where I can roll in a 6v,12,or 25v driver. My amp has the C3g option,which you can use instead of a standard driver. Those are the black tubes behind the empty socket. $125.00 for the pair.
Behind those are chrome topped tubes. Six of them. Those are the 6BX7s. $140.00 for six,but can be found cheaper.

Front left you will see a short flat,ugly looking thing. Thats a HEXFRED,which replaces a rectifier tube. Essentially it provides the clean tight bass of a solid state while still enjoying the tube sound in the rest of the sound. My amp can also use rectifier tubes,so if I want a tighter cleaner sound I use HEXFRED. If I want a more tubey sound I pull the HEXFRED out and roll in a rectifier.

IMO the GOTL is one of the best bang for the buck pieces of gear available.

One thing to mention about the amp is that those C3G driver tubes have a lifespan of 10000 hours. So if you play 30 hours of music every week they’ll last you around 7-8 years give or take. The power tubes aren’t being taxed to their fullest and Glenn mentioned those tubes lasting for years on end.

If you go the cheap route (Russian power tubes and driver) you can stock up for decades without a considerable amount of money.

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,184 of 9,535
Got my shipping confirmation email today.
End game has arrived for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back