ZMF Verite Open
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,052 of 9,521
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,053 of 9,521
Dec 19, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,056 of 9,521
Posted my review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-vérité.23454/reviews#review-21323

I also posted below for convenience.

Disclaimer: Zach temporarily loaned me a review pair of the Verite with no stipulation I write a review. My preferences lean just slightly warmer than neutral. My reference chain of gear consists of: Arcam CD Player -> Yggdrasil A2 -> ZDS -> Auteur / Atticus / HD800S / HD6x0 family.

ZMF Verite Review

IMG_20181219_205502.jpg

Intro

ZMF Headphones is a small shop, boutique headphone manufacturer. Every headphone is made by hand by Zach himself and a few associates under his employ. The ZMF Verite is the 5th design created entirely in house (his earlier planar designs were extensive modifications using the Fostex T50rp driver). It is released alongside the ZMF Aeolus, the much rumored open back version of the ZMF Atticus. The Verite uses an entirely new driver made from beryllium, not seen in any of Zachs past headphones. Unlike some other headphones that uses a beryllium design, the Verite uses a beryllium coated PEN driver. He felt this made for more natural tonality over a pure beryllium design. At $2,500, this is ZMF's most expensive headphone to date. Lets see if it can live up to its lofty price.

Build/Comfort

Every one of Zachs dynamic headphones from the $999 Atticus to the $2,500 Verite exudes quality. From the all metal and leather frame to the plush leather earpads to the exotic wood cups. You know that a considerable amount of the money spent is going towards a genuinely well made and beautiful product. While in the end it is the sound that matters most, it is nice to be able to have the brains and beauty we should expect at these price ranges. Specific to the Verite, it comes in a magnesium chassis to help save on weight (It seems this can be an option on the Aeolus for an extra cost). It also looks nicer than what I assume is aluminum on the other models. The stock wood is Silk Wood, while the current limited edition wood on offer is Pheasantwood for an extra cost (these limited woods cycle out as Zach gets special wood stock in). The Verite I have for review is made of Mahogany, which I am told sounds almost indistinguishable from the stock Silk Wood.

Comfort is excellent. At 430g the Verite is the lightest ZMF to date. While 430g can still be heavy compared to lightweight headphones like the HD800 (330g), it wears its weight very well thanks to the suspension headband design. I can wear these for hours without discomfort or hotspots.

Sound

The overall tonality of the Verite leans on the warmer side. It has a very slight W shaped response. Close enough to warmish/neutral that I think most will find agreeable. While this is definitely a colored headphone, do not mistake that for a lack of detail. This is clearly a reference headphone. It can easily compete with the HD800S and even the Utopia. It is a well rounded headphone, usable for a multitude of different genres. Below I go into more detail as well as include some comparisons to other headphones.

Bass

Deep, powerful and well controlled. Sub bass on the Verite extends quite a bit for an open headphone. I have heard closed back headphones that had bass rolloff before the Verite. The bass as a whole is fast and tight, not unlike a planar. It is slightly elevated from the upper mids and peaks in the lower mid bass/upper sub bass. Usable bass response down to 20hz. The bass drops in Doin it Right by Daft Punk hits with authority. Very little to no bass bleed into the lower mids.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite is faster, deeper and better controlled. Quantity is about the same. I can say almost the same compared to the HD800S (much faster, deeper, about the same with control). The Verite also has noticeably more in overall bass quantity than the HD800S.

Mids

Linear and revealing up until the upper mids, which is slightly recessed. I must emphasize slightly. This is nothing like the deep crevice that is the Focal Elear or many Audeze LCD models. I think this may actually give the soundstage just a bit more depth than it would otherwise. It does take away a small amount of guitar crunch for you metal heads like myself. Not enough that makes this a poor choice for metal, but it is noticeable when comparing to something like the Aeolus or Atticus (the definitive headphones for metal imo). Mids overall have excellent clarity just slightly on the lush side. Full and dynamic. Vocals sound natural, neither forward or recessed.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite mids as a whole are slightly less lush, but more revealing with better micro dynamics and more noticeable changes in volume rises and falls in the music. The Auteur is a bit more lively in the upper mids. Compared to the HD800S, the Verite is fuller, less lean and more engaging. Micro dynamics are about equal, the slight graduations in volume easily heard on both. These are two very highly competent headphones on a technical level.

Treble

Treble extension is impressive to say the least. The Verite manages to capture air while simultaneously staving off fatigue. The highs are more present than any of Zachs previous headphones, which is quite a departure, even more so than the Auteur which I considered a departure when it released last year. There is a slight peak around the mid treble but it is masked well, especially with the Universe Pads. Treble is smooth, despite it having a little more quantity than previous ZMFs. Some people may find it to be too much, but this will come down to preferences. The Verite is NOT a bright headphone by any means. Unlike some other beryllium headphones I have heard, there is no metallic sheen to the treble. Likely due to Zachs use of using a PEN driver coated in beryllium, rather than using pure beryllium.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite has more quantity, but is smoother overall. The Auteur could sound just a smidge rough depending on gear. Treble extension is superior on the Verite. Compared to the HD800S, the Verite is also smoother, with quantity being about on par. The peak at 6k on the HD800S is still quite noticeable. Combined with the thin sounding mids which play a contributing factor, the HD800S on a whole just sounds brighter.

Soundstage/Imaging

For a headphone, the soundstage is good. About as good as it can get before you get to ultra wide, defuse soundstages like those seen in the HD800S. So while the HD800S may be wider and deeper, the Verite sounds a bit more natural for a headphone, which I think the wood may play a factor in. About on par with the Auteur, maybe just a little wider. Imaging is precise and pin-point on all three of these headphones.

Utopia

I know many (including myself) were curious to know how these compared to the Utopia. Both are statement products and the top of their respective lineups. I didn't include the Utopia in the main comparisons because I didn't have one on hand at the time I had the Verite to do direct A/B comparisons (so take the following with a grain of salt). I still wanted to say a little something though since I did have a Utopia for an extended loan awhile back. In short, I prefer the Verite. I don't think it is an overall better headphone, but is an overall better headphone for me. They are about equal when it comes to technicalities and micro dynamics, which is an impressive feat considering the price difference. The main difference being in the tonality of the two headphones. While the Verite leans a little to the warm side, the Utopia leans just a smidge to the brighter side. The Utopia also has a slight metallic sheen to it that some (including myself) find annoying. I think this is a huge advantage to Zach using a PEN driver coated in beryllium vs a pure beryllium design. Preferring one over the other is going to be a personal decision based on each individual listener.

IMG_20181219_205336.jpg

Auteur

I want to single out the Auteur for a brief moment. Many are asking if the Verite replaces or is better than the Auteur, which only came out a year ago. Zachs official stance is that it does not. I was a bit skeptical of his answer until I heard the Verite myself, which I now agree with. To expand on the comparisons I made earlier in this review, the Auteur, while not as technically proficient does lend itself to a more linear sound. It is still a warm headphone (probably even more so than the Verite even) but rather than a slight W shaped FR, it is a bit more linear throughout. It also has a bit more addictive, lush sound that some may prefer. Personally, I will not be selling my Auteur. It is one of my favorite headphones I've owned and the Verite doesn't change that. I am seriously considering buying a Verite to add to my collection, rather than replace any one headphone (if it does replace anything, it will be my HD800S).

Universe VS Verite earpads

Up until now, all my impressions are with using the Universe Pads, which Zach prefers and may be even shipping as the stock pads. The Verite pad tips the overall FR balance and elevates the treble. The mild mid treble peak becomes not so mild and the headphone overall is a bit brighter and forward sounding. I did not care too much for the Verite pads. I think people coming from the HD800 and Utopia may enjoy it a little more. I've become acclimated to the warmer sounding Auteur over the last year and prefer the Universe Pads. Bass and mids remain largely the same except the very mild upper mids recession is a little less recessed.

Gear Pairing

More than any other ZMF headphone, the Verite scales like mad with higher end gear. Do not take this to mean you need to spend big bucks on gear to get a good sound. The Verite sounds great, even from the $99 Fulla 2 or my Vali 2/Modi 2 stack. Moving up to my Yggdrasil and Eddie Current ZDS is a noticeable change though. Increased dynamics, clarity and plankton across the board. The Verite is a headphone you can buy for your entry level gear and get great enjoyment from it, then have some fun building your dream system around it. ALWAYS buy the headphone you want first. Don't worry too much about the gear you have at this exact moment.

Personally I have always preferred tube gear. I think they provide better dynamics, micro detail and more realistic sounding highs. However the Verite will of course sound great from solid state gear as well. I'd just urge those who are curious, if you are going to buy a new amp, look at some tube gear. I particularly like Schiit on the cheap end (Vali 2 is ridiculous value at $150 and pairs great with the Verite), and Eddie Current and Donald North Audio on the higher end. I have also heard a couple Amp and Sound amps with Zachs dynamics and liked the pairing as well. I know Zach now has his own Amp and Sound collaboration amp called the Pendant that may be worth checking out. As always with these super expensive amps (and headphones for that matter), try making it to a local meet to hear these for yourself if you can, I know that may not always be possible for some depending on your location though.

IMG_20181219_204923.jpg

Value

I think at this point, value as in price/performance is out the window. Normally I would balk at a headphone breaking the $2k mark. I was disappointed in the new HD820 pricing and Hifiman continues to dupe its customers into buying headphones made of $100 in materials for thousands of dollars. The later headphones I mentioned however are mass produced in a factory. Some using cheap plastic parts even. ZMF headphones are boutique, hand crafted headphones using very high quality (and sometimes exotic) materials. These are not mass produced on an assembly line. ZMF is a small business run by Zach and his wife Bevin along with a few helpers. From a financial standpoint, these headphones cost so much likely because they HAVE to cost this much. A bunch of shareholders didn't just slap a random price on there to get as much as they think someone would pay for them. The Verite is an excellent headphone that matches and sometimes exceeds headphones in its price range and above. Zach also has many cheaper headphones. His ZMF Classic is an excellent price/performance value at $299 for example. The Verite is expensive, an understandable reality of economy of scale.

Conclusion

The Verite marks a milestone for ZMF as a brand and is a worthy statement product. I think fans of ZMFs house sound and newcomers alike will be in for a pleasant surprise. It uses a new driver tech for the ZMF lineup, offering a new take on the ZMF sound. Well rounded sound for just about any genre. Priced at $2,500 it is expensive, but it does really feel like we are getting a great product for our money. Just don't sell your car or go into credit card debt to buy one, some things are more important than headphones (blasphemous I know).

ZMF Verite Information Page: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/verite/

IMG_20181219_204755.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181219_204923.jpg
    IMG_20181219_204923.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,058 of 9,521
Posted my review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-vérité.23454/reviews#review-21323

I also posted below for convenience.

Disclaimer: Zach temporarily loaned me a review pair of the Verite with no stipulation I write a review. My preferences lean just slightly warmer than neutral. My reference chain of gear consists of: Arcam CD Player -> Yggdrasil A2 -> ZDS -> Auteur / Atticus / HD800S / HD6x0 family.

ZMF Verite Review

Intro

ZMF Headphones is a small shop, boutique headphone manufacturer. Every headphone is made by hand by Zach himself and a few associates under his employ. The ZMF Verite is the 5th design created entirely in house (his earlier planar designs were extensive modifications using the Fostex T50rp driver). It is released alongside the ZMF Aeolus, the much rumored open back version of the ZMF Atticus. The Verite uses an entirely new driver made from beryllium, not seen in any of Zachs past headphones. Unlike some other headphones that uses a beryllium design, the Verite uses a beryllium coated PEN driver. He felt this made for more natural tonality over a pure beryllium design. At $2,500, this is ZMF's most expensive headphone to date. Lets see if it can live up to its lofty price.

Build/Comfort

Every one of Zachs dynamic headphones from the $999 Atticus to the $2,500 Verite exudes quality. From the all metal and leather frame to the plush leather earpads to the exotic wood cups. You know that a considerable amount of the money spent is going towards a genuinely well made and beautiful product. While in the end it is the sound that matters most, it is nice to be able to have the brains and beauty we should expect at these price ranges. Specific to the Verite, it comes in a magnesium chassis to help save on weight (It seems this can be an option on the Aeolus for an extra cost). It also looks nicer than what I assume is aluminum on the other models. The stock wood is Silk Wood, while the current limited edition wood on offer is Pheasantwood for an extra cost (these limited woods cycle out as Zach gets special wood stock in). The Verite I have for review is made of Mahogany, which I am told sounds almost indistinguishable from the stock Silk Wood.

Comfort is excellent. At 430g the Verite is the lightest ZMF to date. While 430g can still be heavy compared to lightweight headphones like the HD800 (330g), it wears its weight very well thanks to the suspension headband design. I can wear these for hours without discomfort or hotspots.

Sound

The overall tonality of the Verite leans on the warmer side. It has a very slight W shaped response. Close enough to warmish/neutral that I think most will find agreeable. While this is definitely a colored headphone, do not mistake that for a lack of detail. This is clearly a reference headphone. It can easily compete with the HD800S and even the Utopia. It is a well rounded headphone, usable for a multitude of different genres. Below I go into more detail as well as include some comparisons to other headphones.

Bass

Deep, powerful and well controlled. Sub bass on the Verite extends quite a bit for an open headphone. I have heard closed back headphones that had bass rolloff before the Verite. The bass as a whole is fast and tight, not unlike a planar. It is slightly elevated from the upper mids and peaks in the lower mid bass/upper sub bass. Usable bass response down to 20hz. The bass drops in Doin it Right by Daft Punk hits with authority. Very little to no bass bleed into the lower mids.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite is faster, deeper and better controlled. Quantity is about the same. I can say almost the same compared to the HD800S (much faster, deeper, about the same with control). The Verite also has noticeably more in overall bass quantity than the HD800S.

Mids

Linear and revealing up until the upper mids, which is slightly recessed. I must emphasize slightly. This is nothing like the deep crevice that is the Focal Elear or many Audeze LCD models. I think this may actually give the soundstage just a bit more depth than it would otherwise. It does take away a small amount of guitar crunch for you metal heads like myself. Not enough that makes this a poor choice for metal, but it is noticeable when comparing to something like the Aeolus or Atticus (the definitive headphones for metal imo). Mids overall have excellent clarity just slightly on the lush side. Full and dynamic. Vocals sound natural, neither forward or recessed.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite mids as a whole are slightly less lush, but more revealing with better micro dynamics and more noticeable changes in volume rises and falls in the music. The Auteur is a bit more lively in the upper mids. Compared to the HD800S, the Verite is fuller, less lean and more engaging. Micro dynamics are about equal, the slight graduations in volume easily heard on both. These are two very highly competent headphones on a technical level.

Treble

Treble extension is impressive to say the least. The Verite manages to capture air while simultaneously staving off fatigue. The highs are more present than any of Zachs previous headphones, which is quite a departure, even more so than the Auteur which I considered a departure when it released last year. There is a slight peak around the mid treble but it is masked well, especially with the Universe Pads. Treble is smooth, despite it having a little more quantity than previous ZMFs. Some people may find it to be too much, but this will come down to preferences. The Verite is NOT a bright headphone by any means. Unlike some other beryllium headphones I have heard, there is no metallic sheen to the treble. Likely due to Zachs use of using a PEN driver coated in beryllium, rather than using pure beryllium.

VS

Compared to the Auteur, the Verite has more quantity, but is smoother overall. The Auteur could sound just a smidge rough depending on gear. Treble extension is superior on the Verite. Compared to the HD800S, the Verite is also smoother, with quantity being about on par. The peak at 6k on the HD800S is still quite noticeable. Combined with the thin sounding mids which play a contributing factor, the HD800S on a whole just sounds brighter.

Soundstage/Imaging

For a headphone, the soundstage is good. About as good as it can get before you get to ultra wide, defuse soundstages like those seen in the HD800S. So while the HD800S may be wider and deeper, the Verite sounds a bit more natural for a headphone, which I think the wood may play a factor in. About on par with the Auteur, maybe just a little wider. Imaging is precise and pin-point on all three of these headphones.

Utopia

I know many (including myself) were curious to know how these compared to the Utopia. Both are statement products and the top of their respective lineups. I didn't include the Utopia in the main comparisons because I didn't have one on hand at the time I had the Verite to do direct A/B comparisons (so take the following with a grain of salt). I still wanted to say a little something though since I did have a Utopia for an extended loan awhile back. In short, I prefer the Verite. I don't think it is an overall better headphone, but is an overall better headphone for me. They are about equal when it comes to technicalities and micro dynamics, which is an impressive feat considering the price difference. The main difference being in the tonality of the two headphones. While the Verite leans a little to the warm side, the Utopia leans just a smidge to the brighter side. The Utopia also has a slight metallic sheen to it that some (including myself) find annoying. I think this is a huge advantage to Zach using a PEN driver coated in beryllium vs a pure beryllium design. Preferring one over the other is going to be a personal decision based on each individual listener.

Auteur

I want to single out the Auteur for a brief moment. Many are asking if the Verite replaces or is better than the Auteur, which only came out a year ago. Zachs official stance is that it does not. I was a bit skeptical of his answer until I heard the Verite myself, which I now agree with. To expand on the comparisons I made earlier in this review, the Auteur, while not as technically proficient does lend itself to a more linear sound. It is still a warm headphone (probably even more so than the Verite even) but rather than a slight W shaped FR, it is a bit more linear throughout. It also has a bit more addictive, lush sound that some may prefer. Personally, I will not be selling my Auteur. It is one of my favorite headphones I've owned and the Verite doesn't change that. I am seriously considering buying a Verite to add to my collection, rather than replace any one headphone (if it does replace anything, it will be my HD800S).

Universe VS Verite earpads

Up until now, all my impressions are with using the Universe Pads, which Zach prefers and may be even shipping as the stock pads. The Verite pad tips the overall FR balance and elevates the treble. The mild mid treble peak becomes not so mild and the headphone overall is a bit brighter and forward sounding. I did not care too much for the Verite pads. I think people coming from the HD800 and Utopia may enjoy it a little more. I've become acclimated to the warmer sounding Auteur over the last year and prefer the Universe Pads. Bass and mids remain largely the same except the very mild upper mids recession is a little less recessed.

Gear Pairing

More than any other ZMF headphone, the Verite scales like mad with higher end gear. Do not take this to mean you need to spend big bucks on gear to get a good sound. The Verite sounds great, even from the $99 Fulla 2 or my Vali 2/Modi 2 stack. Moving up to my Yggdrasil and Eddie Current ZDS is a noticeable change though. Increased dynamics, clarity and plankton across the board. The Verite is a headphone you can buy for your entry level gear and get great enjoyment from it, then have some fun building your dream system around it. ALWAYS buy the headphone you want first. Don't worry too much about the gear you have at this exact moment.

Personally I have always preferred tube gear. I think they provide better dynamics, micro detail and more realistic sounding highs. However the Verite will of course sound great from solid state gear as well. I'd just urge those who are curious, if you are going to buy a new amp, look at some tube gear. I particularly like Schiit on the cheap end (Vali 2 is ridiculous value at $150 and pairs great with the Verite), and Eddie Current and Donald North Audio on the higher end. I have also heard a couple Amp and Sound amps with Zachs dynamics and liked the pairing as well. I know Zach now has his own Amp and Sound collaboration amp called the Pendant that may be worth checking out. As always with these super expensive amps (and headphones for that matter), try making it to a local meet to hear these for yourself if you can, I know that may not always be possible for some depending on your location though.

Value

I think at this point, value as in price/performance is out the window. Normally I would balk at a headphone breaking the $2k mark. I was disappointed in the new HD820 pricing and Hifiman continues to dupe its customers into buying headphones made of $100 in materials for thousands of dollars. The later headphones I mentioned however are mass produced in a factory. Some using cheap plastic parts even. ZMF headphones are boutique, hand crafted headphones using very high quality (and sometimes exotic) materials. These are not mass produced on an assembly line. ZMF is a small business run by Zach and his wife Bevin along with a few helpers. From a financial standpoint, these headphones cost so much likely because they HAVE to cost this much. A bunch of shareholders didn't just slap a random price on there to get as much as they think someone would pay for them. The Verite is an excellent headphone that matches and sometimes exceeds headphones in its price range and above. Zach also has many cheaper headphones. His ZMF Classic is an excellent price/performance value at $299 for example. The Verite is expensive, an understandable reality of economy of scale.

Conclusion

The Verite marks a milestone for ZMF as a brand and is a worthy statement product. I think fans of ZMFs house sound and newcomers alike will be in for a pleasant surprise. It uses a new driver tech for the ZMF lineup, offering a new take on the ZMF sound. Well rounded sound for just about any genre. Priced at $2,500 it is expensive, but it does really feel like we are getting a great product for our money. Just don't sell your car or go into credit card debt to buy one, some things are more important than headphones (blasphemous I know).

ZMF Verite Information Page: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/verite/

Very nice read! I appreciate the info about the pads, and your preferences and why.

I have yet to pad roll the Auteur and I feel dumb for not doing so right out of the gate of getting them.

I was just so happy with the sound that I forgot it was an option lol.

I’m excited to take a night and play around with the sound

Dec 20, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,059 of 9,521
Very nice read! I appreciate the info about the pads, and your preferences and why.

I have yet to pad roll the Auteur and I feel dumb for not doing so right out of the gate of getting them.

I was just so happy with the sound that I forgot it was an option lol.

I’m excited to take a night and play around with the sound

The Perforated Suede Auteur pads are my favorite alternative pad to use with the Auteur. Almost like it more than the stock Auteur pads.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,060 of 9,521
The Perforated Suede Auteur pads are my favorite alternative pad to use with the Auteur. Almost like it more than the stock Auteur pads.
How it's it different in sound from the Eikon perf pads?

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,061 of 9,521
How it's it different in sound from the Eikon perf pads?

The suede Auteur pads basically fixed the slight roughness in the treble I could hear. Smoothed out the highs without closing in the soundstage or making the headphones darker (which is what the leather perforated Eikon pads did to a small extent imo). They are also super comfy. The suede material Zach uses is extremely soft to the touch.

I'm really curious what potential suede pads could do for the Verite. I also really like the suede Eikon pads on my Atticus.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,062 of 9,521
I tried the suede Atticus pads on it, and the sound was just not good, but man we're they comfy!

Thanks for your thoughts on them.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,064 of 9,521
Hey @zach915m, any updates on how verite production/shipment is going?

Have about 30 sets of Pheasant finished and 15 sets of Silk - all are in different stages of assembly. We had a few demo units go out today to various dealers, and will start mass Verite and Aeolus shipments after the holiday. Personally I'd rather skip xmas and build headphones, but we will have a couple days off. :mrs_claus:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,065 of 9,521
Have about 30 sets of Pheasant finished and 15 sets of Silk, - all are in different stages of assembly. We had a few demo units go out today to various dealers, and will start mass Verite and Aeolus shipments after the holiday. Personally I'd rather skip xmas and build headphones, but we will have a couple days off. :mrs_claus:

Thanks for the update Zach! Sounds like you’ve been hustling like crazy; 45 sets in a week is very impressive.

Hope you have a nice restful holiday! I think we all will agree you deserve it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back