ZMF Verite Open
Jul 11, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #7,726 of 9,561
I know it's childish but you always get the pervebial "I love my Crack" which always gives me a snicker or two.

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #7,729 of 9,561
Yeah that's a beautiful setup! I love how the Camphor Burl matches the roughness of the BHC's frame.

I got curious about the same thing, and a couple weeks ago I was able to hear a friend's Kenzie Encore with the VO and Auteur. The amp blew my mind so much that I went out and bought a Forge a week later. I was surprised to see how well an output transformer coupled tube amp worked with ZMF's, which I always just assumed would sound better on OTL designs (mostly because of my experience with a WA6-SE). But it added a special kind of magic to the Auteur, giving it incredible bass and tons of layering, but it also really complimented the VO as well, with a mildly warm, solid midrange, amazing imaging, and tons of resolution. Not to say anything bad about the BHC! But the Ampsandsound stuff is definitely a few steps up both price-wise and sonically, and it's worth checking out.

I wonder if it's worth investing in the replacement of the amplifier.

I've talked to people who rate the Crack's performance at 90% or more of the performance of a $3000 DNA Stratus, and that person owns both amps and the Veritè.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #7,730 of 9,561
I went from a Crack w/ SB to the Crackatwoa, and I thought that was worth it. But the Crackatwoa is absolutely the equal of the Cayin HA-300 and Pendant that I also have - and may actually be may favourite pairing of the 3, specifically with the VO. Just one simple man’s opinion.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #7,732 of 9,561
Please--somebody explain what "Speedball" is w/a Crack amp; and what "Crackatoa" is.

(I know what each means outside the headphone context, but that's no help here)
The speedball is an upgrade to the stock Crack amp. It’s an added circuit board with heat sinks that you assemble and install after the initial build that boosts clarity, tightness of bass, imaging, etc. It makes the Crack loose out on some of its tubey magic, but in my experience also gets rid of the noise floor.

The “Crack-a-two-a” is basically a super version of the Crack with speedball. A Crack 2.0 if you will. I’ve been meaning to build one myself for a while now, but desk space is making me hold out.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #7,733 of 9,561
The speedball is an upgrade to the stock Crack amp. It’s an added circuit board with heat sinks that you assemble and install after the initial build that boosts clarity, tightness of bass, imaging, etc. It makes the Crack loose out on some of its tubey magic, but in my experience also gets rid of the noise floor.

The “Crack-a-two-a” is basically a super version of the Crack with speedball. A Crack 2.0 if you will. I’ve been meaning to build one myself for a while now, but desk space is making me hold out.
(pharmaboy adds "kit building" to the long list of audio stuff he can't do)

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #7,734 of 9,561

I've talked to people who rate the Crack's performance at 90% or more of the performance of a $3000 DNA Stratus, and that person owns both amps and the Veritè.
I hope to find out. I may buy a used LTA Microzotl 2 (MZ2), which pairs exceptionally well with ZMF cans. Zach M. bought himself one and confirmed the synergy between his headphones and the MZ2.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #7,735 of 9,561
Please--somebody explain what "Speedball" is w/a Crack amp; and what "Crackatoa" is.

In the illicit drug world Speedball refers to mixing cocaine and heroin. Its actually what John Belushi OD'd on.

Crakatoa is a play on the Indonesian volcano Krakatoa. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa was one of the strongest in recorded history. The eruption put out so much volcanic ash into the atmosphere that it reduced sunlight around the world and caused global climate cooling for the next couple of years or so. It was said to be heard over 2000 miles away. The only reason I know that is I am a geologist. The only reason I know about the Speedball is I'm old enough to actually remember John Belushi's death.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #7,736 of 9,561

Sorry I re-read your post and saw you already knew what it meant outside the audio world. Forgive my Cliff Clabun moment. Lol! There I go showing my age again.

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #7,737 of 9,561

I have owned both VO and BHC with S/B and recently sold the BHC because i bought another tube amp. I also have DNA Sonett 2, i like BHC a lot but is not in the same class and i doubted it can perform 90% of the Stratus.
I had compared to the 2 amps with 2 pairs of Aeolus ( i have 3 pairs of Aeolus, 2 which i modded and call them Super Aeolus). To my ears t
PXL_20220429_213430452.jpg
PXL_20220701_201014811.jpg
he Sonett 2 has a better soundstage, sweeter vocals and mids, more clarity.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #7,738 of 9,561
I have owned both VO and BHC with S/B and recently sold the BHC because i bought another tube amp. I also have DNA Sonett 2, i like BHC a lot but is not in the same class and i doubted it can perform 90% of the Stratus.
I had compared to the 2 amps with 2 pairs of Aeolus ( i have 3 pairs of Aeolus, 2 which i modded and call them Super Aeolus). To my ears tPXL_20220429_213430452.jpgPXL_20220701_201014811.jpghe Sonett 2 has a better soundstage, sweeter vocals and mids, more clarity.

What valves did you roll in Crack?

Depending on the valves I use, I get a bigger stage, more transparency, more sweetness and more detail in the middle zone.

Jul 12, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #7,739 of 9,561

Depending on the valves I use, I get a bigger stage, more transparency, more sweetness and more detail in the middle zone.
I have rolled the BHC with many tubes from Tung-Sol 5998 to Chatman 6080 to Mullard, the BHC sounds great. But it is not in the same class of the amps that i have above.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #7,740 of 9,561

There is no linear scaling for technicalities and a $4000 amp will not effectively be "10x" better than a $400. It is almost impossible for anyone to fully comprehend what you're hearing in your setup and we can't really place a value on whether or not said amp is really worth the upgrade for you. In the same vein that you felt the Crack is "90%" that of Stratus, @VanHai feels the Stratus is a much better amp based on experiences with the Sonnett. Whether is based off sound preference or component differences both of you seem to have very different experience with the Crack. Blind buying is always going to be a leap of faith and ultimately it is up to you to decide who's impression you align with more when it comes to review and make your own judgement call. I wouldn't jump to spend that much on an amp if I have any doubts on the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back