ZMF Verite Open
May 23, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #7,651 of 9,521
Yeah, agree that some factors like pad or mesh could make various impressions. The Atrium with me now is the latest perforated mesh.

Personally, after use Atrium straight for 3-4 hours, Atrium demand attention (more intense) sounding than Verite. I felt a little similar experience like Abyss Diana Phi or Audeze LCD-5 in this regard. Could be due to forward midrange character and i'm a bit sensitive on that. Atrium still smoother and more relax than the duo planar of course, and project more spacious soundstage as well.

That makes sense. Passion for Sound was using an instrumental track as his main example (“So What” by Yuko Mabuchi), with piano being the main instrument. So vocals weren’t a factor.

Also, if the Atrium is anything like the Auteur, which I own and love, I find the soundstage generally more presented in front of me, if that makes sense. The Verite is much more of an all around the head experience, surrounding the listener. Perhaps some people refer to that as width vs depth as well?

Due to more forward midrange, I think Atrium present singer closer to me (front row), while Verite "push" the singer away few more rows, and create more "surrounding" effect.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #7,652 of 9,521
Finally, one sonic variable of the Atrium that's not present in the VO is choice of metal driver screens. My review pair had the 1st screen ZMF used (solid). A few weeks later the stock screen was changed to one w/patterned cut-outs. And I believe yet a 3rd screen option (different pattern of cutouts) is available now. The Atrium will sound brighter as one goes from solid (my pick) to patterned to the 3rd screen option (sorry, can't recall name of that screen)
IIRC the "2nd" mesh was actually the brighter mesh which is the same as used in the Aeolus. That was a bridge too far (or a mesh too transparent, I don't think it was ever used as stock) and Zach settled on the current stock mesh with a similar pattern to the Aeolus mesh, but a little less dramatic. @zach915m could verify this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went down. I believe all 3 meshes are available for purchase as well.

May 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #7,653 of 9,521
I've commented several times (various threads; also in my review of the Atrium) about this Atrium vs VO sound thing. I can only find one such post (which links to my review):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite-open.890270/page-506#post-16920361

Points about VO vs Atrium:
  1. I don't hear the VO as any brighter than the Atrium. If anything it's the reverse
  2. BUT...as someone posted in one of the threads (sorry I've forgotten who), the treble of the Atrium is so smooth that any elevation in the treble vs the VO is not necessarily heard as "brightness" (I agree--a perceptive point)
  3. I've repeatedly read comments about the VO being "too dark" (disagree) or "bright" (disagree) or having a noteworthy "recession in the upper midrange" (I don't hear that). People hear the VO rather differently than I do.
  4. IMO the sound you get from a VO and/or Atrium depends hugely on the pads used. I'm using the stock perforated Universe pads on both the VO & Atrium, and my comments relate only to those pads. I think at least some of the divergent comments I'm reading about how these headphones sound, and how they compare to each other, are due to the poster having different pads than someone else
  5. Finally, one sonic variable of the Atrium that's not present in the VO is choice of metal driver screens. My review pair had the 1st screen ZMF used (solid). A few weeks later the stock screen was changed to one w/patterned cut-outs. And I believe yet a 3rd screen option (different pattern of cutouts) is available now. The Atrium will sound brighter as one goes from solid (my pick) to patterned to the 3rd screen option (sorry, can't recall name of that screen)
I compared the VO and Atrium a number of times, most recently just a couple weeks ago. I don't notice any significant difference in depth of soundstage on Atrium vs VO. Bu here are differences I do notice:
  • The overall clarity & smoothness of the Atrium are exceptional, perhaps best-in-class
  • The soundstaging of the Atrium is world class, described as "holographic" & even "psychedelic." I've never heard any headphone, including the VO, soundstage as distinctly, concretely, and discretely as the Atrium
  • IMO the VO soundstages very well, comparable to most other TOTL headphones, but not equal to the Atrium
  • On the other hand, VO brings other qualities that are pretty special:
    • The best instrumental/vocal tone & timbre I've ever heard. Not just accurate to the music genre--also beautiful sounding and highly musical. For example, I've heard classical vocals many times (opera, choral, recital) and the VO nails the thrilling sound/presence of vocals to a degree I haven't encountered in other headphones
    • Great speed and detail (thanks to that beryllium driver)
    • Yet w/all that speed and detail, I don't hear the VO as bright/edgy/highlighting treble (refer back to pads comment here). The VO sounds at least as musical (ie, sounds like music; gives a euphonic and ear-friendly rendition of music) as any other headphone I've heard, and usually more so
The Atrium and the VO are both amazing TOTL designs, but they are far from identical IMO...
Nice comparative write-up! It highlights a lot key differences that many members will use to make a good decision on whether or the Atrium is worth owning if you already have a VO.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #7,654 of 9,521
These wonderful headphones haven't got enough discussion/love lately. Once I put the BE2 Lambskin pads on them and matched them with a LQI Voda headphone cable, I've been in love with them. They are the perfect blend of technical prowess and musicality to my ears.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #7,655 of 9,521
These wonderful headphones haven't got enough discussion/love lately. Once I put the BE2 Lambskin pads on them and matched them with a LQI Voda headphone cable, I've been in love with them. They are the perfect blend of technical prowess and musicality to my ears.
Even after fully burning in my VC and Atrium, my Pheasantwood VO are my favorite headphone. I love the others, but the VO has a special place in my heart.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #7,656 of 9,521
Even after fully burning in my VC and Atrium, my Pheasantwood VO are my favorite headphone. I love the others, but the VO has a special place in my heart.
I've got a Pheasantwood pair as well. Couldn't agree with you more though I haven't heard the Atrium yet. They are on my very short list to try next.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #7,657 of 9,521
I've got a Pheasantwood pair as well. Couldn't agree with you more though I haven't heard the Atrium yet. They are on my very short list to try next.
Oh they are a game changer for LUSH mids and head shaking impact. They are greatly complimentary headphones. I love them. But the Verite’s 3D spacing and hyper detail take my audio nirvana.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #7,658 of 9,521
These wonderful headphones haven't got enough discussion/love lately.
Totally agree. I know the Atrium is newer so is rightly getting most of the attention lately, and still most of my head time since it's my newest headphone. However I just spent a little time switching between it and the Verites and the VO is just so lush and has a grandeur to it that immediately grabs me and it is more detailed. Even after having one for 2.5 years I still get the experience of hearing songs in my library I haven't heard in awhile and just feeling like I've never heard the track sound anything like this before. I switched from my used Silk to a new b-stock Blackwood 6 months ago and despite it costing me several hundred dollars to have basically the same headphone I already had, I don't regret it for a second. I definitely understand why Blackwood ZMFs get so much love. There's something really special about them even above the Silk VO. Long live the Verite Open!

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #7,659 of 9,521
Totally agree. I know the Atrium is newer so is rightly getting most of the attention lately, and still most of my head time since it's my newest headphone. However I just spent a little time switching between it and the Verites and the VO is just so lush and has a grandeur to it that immediately grabs me and it is more detailed. Even after having one for 2.5 years I still get the experience of hearing songs in my library I haven't heard in awhile and just feeling like I've never heard the track sound anything like this before. I switched from my used Silk to a new b-stock Blackwood 6 months ago and despite it costing me several hundred dollars to have basically the same headphone I already had, I don't regret it for a second. I definitely understand why Blackwood ZMFs get so much love. There's something really special about them even above the Silk VO. Long live the Verite Open!
Finding a perfect tube roll for the VO on the GOTL was always a challenge for me. Have you come up with your fav roll for the VO yet?

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #7,660 of 9,521
Oh they are a game changer for LUSH mids and head shaking impact. They are greatly complimentary headphones. I love them. But the Verite’s 3D spacing and hyper detail take my audio nirvana.
The VO is the second oldest headphone in my collection(~3 years) with the hd800 being the oldest(~10 years). I seldom keep something for long as I find the hd800 more than adequate for most cases and the VO is the first headphone that I feel is complementary and more enjoyable from a listening perspective. The combination of near utopia level resolution with palpable low end and a smoother delivery makes this a very unique listening experience and switching over from something like a hd800, utopia or the heddphone, the VO does appear more lush. Though I do notice the unevenness in the upper mids over time, it is mostly a none factor for my music preferences. The Atrium takes the lushness up a notch and has a more even midrange but it is more forward sounding. It definitely stands alongside the VO and Utopia as the best dynamic driver headphones and I have a feeling the Atrium will appeal to most people coming into ZMF especially with that midrange. But the VO will definitely appeal more to those who prefer a more laidback presentation.

Jun 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #7,662 of 9,521
Finding a perfect tube roll for the VO on the GOTL was always a challenge for me. Have you come up with your fav roll for the VO yet?
Not yet. I’ve kept the GEC rectifier pretty much always, and currently have the Chatham 6336 and RCA 6SN7s. Too many tubes and headphones and not enough time!

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #7,663 of 9,521
Not yet. I’ve kept the GEC rectifier pretty much always, and currently have the Chatham 6336 and RCA 6SN7s. Too many tubes and headphones and not enough time!
That GEC U18/20 is killer. I never removed it for long.
I found on the GOTL, the warmer the tube roll, the deeper the 3d became

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #7,664 of 9,521
Y’all are making me miss my VO’s! They’re back at home while I’m on a road trip. Finally got my THR-1 burnt in and listening with the Verites was just enthralling. Everything you all are saying clicks for me as well, especially the resolution, tuning, and a really special sense of vibrancy. I’ve grown to love them.

618B9D65-51F3-4327-B8ED-94AF6559A606.jpeg

Jun 13, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #7,665 of 9,521

Friend I see in your signature that you the DT 1990 and the Veritè Open.

Price aside, how does the Veritè Open compare to the DT 1990?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back