ZMF Verite Open
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #61 of 9,521
Don't plan to get the Verite, Utopia uses the same material and that not my taste. I know Zach uses wood housing but metallic diaphragm isn't my cup of tea.

I chose to go with PEN with vapor deposed Be for a couple reason's:

1. The same as you state above, there's a sharp nature to pure Be and many metal drivers that didn't totally gel with my aural taste. I found pure Be material for actually a lesser up front cost on R/D and material. But it just didn't sound the way I imagined for a Be ZMF.

2. The combination of PEN (Polyethylene Naphthalate) and Be brought a stiffness between that of the Atticus driver and the auteur driver where it's nodal enough to sound very punchy and stiff enough to "surround" you with somewhat planar like sound in a dynamic.

I guess we’ll see.

Of course the other question is how close Verite will be to Auteur. To my ears, Auteur are pretty close to Utopia, so if Verite are in between,..

They are quite different. I didn't want to come out with a headphone that replaced another. Not my intention in building these. Remember I have to expand my personal collection of headphones too haha!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #62 of 9,521
That's great that they have a different voicing/signature to the Auteur.

:smiling_imp: the part of the back of my mind that whispers... you NEED these!! lol

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #63 of 9,521
They are quite different. I didn't want to come out with a headphone that replaced another. Not my intention in building these. Remember I have to expand my personal collection of headphones too haha!

So basically what happened was, Zach created a business to satisfy his own addiction. Which then led to the continued enabling of our own addictions.
What a viscous, happy cycle... :grinning:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #64 of 9,521
I wonder if there's an audiophile who collects every ZMF with every single wood type....

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #65 of 9,521
So you've heard the Verite then and can make this statement based on in depth, personal impressions?

if you read my opening line..... I was guessing....

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #66 of 9,521
My punt on this is Utopia will be more consistent in level of detail, texture, freq response and maybe slightly more resolving.... Verite will be more natural sounding, less bright (depending on hardness of wood) and due to the natural material it uses the bass maybe bigger, sweeter in exchange for slight drop in detail and attack compared to Utopia....
if you read my opening line..... I was guessing....

I think the point was, it is extremely presumptuous of you to be making assumptions like that at this point. There are no impressions/detailed measurements/etcetera, let alone, you having actually heard them. It's a waste of your time to write stuff like that and ours to have to read it.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #67 of 9,521
I think the point was, it is extremely presumptuous of you to be making assumptions like that at this point. There are no impressions/detailed measurements/etcetera, let alone, you having actually heard them. It's a waste of your time to write stuff like that and ours to have to read it.

If you take your hobby so seriously then my apologies for hurting your feeling and wasted you time.... I was only replyig to someone's comment

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #69 of 9,521
Some comments imply that, now that the new kid is coming, the Auteur seems worthless to them. That's just a little bit weird, and reminded me not to be that unpatient myself (you shouldn't throw stones living in a glasshouse, I know :zipper_mouth:)
But I have to say the Verite looks much better to me than the already beautiful Auteur and is simply the most visually stunning headphone I've ever seen. Just like a car-prototype where the cool stuff hasn't been stripped off yet.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #70 of 9,521
The Auteur was my next headphone purchase after I get my HE-6se's next week. Since the announcement of Verite's I'm glad I'll have another option to choose from. I just hope it has a different enough sound signature from my Utopia's to warrant the purchase. Otherwise, the Auteur it is.

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #71 of 9,521
We will have info pages up on the website probably sometime in mid October right after rmaf. We just finished the first sets of final prototypes for each which will be at Rmaf etc.

Sorry there's not more info available now I will have the site updated with all info soon! Pre-order date for both is November 16th.

Verite list is $2499 and Aeolus $1199. Pre order prices will be less! And yes the Aeolus uses the same driver as the Atticus and Verite is all new.

Some pics below - stock wood on Verite will be oxidized silk. We're likely going with silk oak for the Aeolus.
Nov. 16th HIGHLIGHTED on my calendar....my headphone timeout will be over!

Bern

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #72 of 9,521
We will have info pages up on the website probably sometime in mid October right after rmaf. We just finished the first sets of final prototypes for each which will be at Rmaf etc.

Sorry there's not more info available now I will have the site updated with all info soon! Pre-order date for both is November 16th.

Verite list is $2499 and Aeolus $1199. Pre order prices will be less! And yes the Aeolus uses the same driver as the Atticus and Verite is all new.

Some pics below - stock wood on Verite will be oxidized silk. We're likely going with silk oak for the Aeolus.
@zach915m, Do you know if any of the pre-orders will be arriving prior to Christmas, or is it more of a January-February target?

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #75 of 9,521
Verite, Aeolus limited edition wood contest! (Please, the last was the most exciting thing, spent hours pouring over wood database)
Bog Oak!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back